Mg5 facelift model Vs preface lift

RichardD

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
I'm looking to take the plunge and get an mg5 soon, and have been focussed on the pre face lift models, as it looks like I can obtain a year old long range exclusive with low miles for around £22k.

At the moment the facelift is around £29.5k new.

Is the facelift really that much better, should I hold out for a used facelift model?

From a personal point of view I did look at the pre-Facelift model. The info system and feel / look of it put me off.

I know own the Facelift. One thing I have noticed from this forum is the pre-Facelift is more efficient. But overall I am still happy I went for the FL

I'm looking to take the plunge and get an mg5 soon, and have been focussed on the pre face lift models, as it looks like I can obtain a year old long range exclusive with low miles for around £22k.

Is the facelift really that much better, should I hold out for a used facelift model?
That is indeed the 7 and a half thousand pound question. At £29.5k I guess that will be the lower spec FL.
I looked to 'upgrade' but for me it wasn't worth the extra 9 or 10 grand (LR Exclusive to Trophy) to get an app for pre-heating and a nicer infotainment.
If starting from scratch like you, you pays your money and takes your choice. The older model is not as good looking to most people, but the car as a whole does for me.

Save the money and get th older spec LR version
I am sure that when you come to trade in there will not be a £7500 price difference between an old and new spec version (unless yousell within the next 12 months)
I prefer the instruments and controls in the older version
But eveyone has their opinions but £7500 is a big decider.If you look at the £30000 option it is worth looking at the second hand pprice of the Skoda, VW and Tesla they have crashed in the last weak or two!

I know @Les burrows has had both so probably the best guy to ask plus he has the MG4 too.

I own the 'old' MG5 long range. They can be picked up for around £21k used. If you go for the facelift version you're really only getting a better infotainment system and an App, not better driving dynamics, or anything else, so not sure that's worth an extra £8k.

Yes the old model looks a bit 'meh', but the facelift looks very similar from every angle apart from the front.

Some great deals to be had on the old model if you shop around ...

I owned the standard range MG5 and it was a great car. Personally I wouldn't bother with the facelift. Yes the old one wasn't the best to look at but the facelift side on looks the same and it's fast, cheap, efficient and practical.

The MG4 I own now is an amazing drive but does have a few quirks the 5 didn't have. Saying that I am due to buy an old ZS for a second local driving car as they're a lot cheaper than yhe facelift model. Only reason is my wife didn't like the look and felt the MG5 was a bit long for her to drive as our second car, even though there's probably only an inch or two in it.

Don't expect much from the infotainment system on the pre facelift, that said as a screen for carplay it works fine (I suspect Android auto is also fine but I've not bothered to try it).

Lack of an app can be slightly irritating if you like to check on how charging is progressing when on a trip but not really a deal breaker.

Personally I don't think the extras you'd get on the new one are worth spending several K on ,if the difference was only a few hundred then it would be less clear cut.

I find I never actually have to use the infotainment in my pre-facelift. Once all initial settings were made there is no need, everything is controlled with buttons and knobs.....just like an old fashioned car. :)

At first I was a bit disappointed at the lack of an app, but the only thing I'd ever use it for is to check the state of charge and that's no big deal. I never use the infotainment system unless I need to change a setting.

I find I never actually have to use the infotainment in my pre-facelift. Once all initial settings were made there is no need, everything is controlled with buttons and knobs.....just like an old fashioned car. :)
I use mine for carplay and that's about it.

Never drove the old 5 might’ve gone for that but so glad I didn’t , my Trophy is fantastic ….smart, quick and real presence.

Thanks for help, now a happy owner of a an MG5 exclusive long range. Loving the electric, not quite sure on mg pilot yet, but I will get used to it!
I don't bother with the full Pilot, I can't see the point of the car steering itself if I have to have my hands on the wheel being tugged around.
On my Exclusive, turned off LKA permanently in settings and just use ACC when needed. - very handy in town for slow moving stop/start traffic.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom