• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG5 power tailgate conversion

Our C Class has one, it's useful, but it's useful only because it came standard with the car. I shall certainly miss it for an hour or so when (if ever) the MG turns up, but I would never pay for something like that.

I currently have MG5 LR and honestly can’t see why you would need power tailgate. But I have ordered an MG HS PHEV which has power tailgate as JohnInFrance has said it’s nice if fitted as standard but not an issue if not. Plus if it would cost £500 I would keep that in your pocket. IMO

Used to have it on a Peugeot estate. Great invention. But wouldn't pay extra for it

Used to have it on a Peugeot estate. Great invention. But wouldn't pay extra for it
I have one on my current car.

Great when its raining to open before leaving the house to keep luggage drier
Worked well during pandemic for click and collect at garden centers ( hopefully will never need that again)

I dont have the foot opener so still have to fumble for keys to open it when coming back with shopping.
They do open more slowly than manual, which I find irratating and regularly have near misses with my head as I am impatient
If you stack a boot really full you can't easily 'try' the door to make sure you have stacked it well

Buying my new car that was a nice to have, certainly not an must have. Especially at the expense and the only real negative can be addressed with just a little planning

i would happily pay for a retrofit, mainly cos my mrs is rather short and has spinal hematomas. Closing a boot is a painful experience for her (if she can reach). If i'm with her I close the boot, otherwise she relies on one of the teens.

Being able to set the boot opening level lower, and being able to close it at the touch of a button is something i would pay extra for. One of the main reasons we are trading the leaf in for a ZS is that its easier for her to get in and out of.

i would happily pay for a retrofit, mainly cos my mrs is rather short and has spinal hematomas. Closing a boot is a painful experience for her (if she can reach). If i'm with her I close the boot, otherwise she relies on one of the teens.

Being able to set the boot opening level lower, and being able to close it at the touch of a button is something i would pay extra for. One of the main reasons we are trading the leaf in for a ZS is that its easier for her to get in and out of.
I mentioned this thread to my wife, she said something similar and something I didn't realise was an issue for her. It is the closing not the opening that she likes. She has a bad shoulder so has issues if stretching up to close the boot lid.

I guess that's just moved up to the should list

Any mods made to you car need to be indicated on your insurance and checked with your dealer as to whether it will invalidate your warrantee. As the 7 year warrantee was one of the biggest incentives for buying the MG5 I intend to be very wary with any intrusive modifications made.

I too are moving from a car with power lift tailgate to the MG5 and I wait to see how much I will miss it.

N.B If there is a dealer who could give a definitive answer on this forum as to whether these sort of modifications will effect the warrantee that would be very useful.

Iirc there is a comment on the warranty wording to the effect the warranty is invalidated only if mods have caused the issue but of course I could be wrong

One of the problems with the retrofitting of gas struts on the front as has been commented on as an aside is the load the strut places on the hinge is massive and would certainly compromise any warranty on the hinges. I have seen complaints that the bonnet no longer fits properly.

I am curious about servos on the boot as to how it is implemented. I had the system on my Alhambra and the servos didn't actually close the boot completely. It brought the lid closed enough for the latch to engage but a servo in the latch itself actually pulled the lid down onto its seals.

The power tailgate option seems to be dropping in price to a level which makes it worth considering. I had one on my previous vehicle (Ford S-Max) and I'm missing it.
Now £455 including the kick sensor. I notice the MG5 taigate already has cutouts and bungs for the strut power cables. I'm beginning to become tempted.
341.51£ 40% OFF|Car Power Trunk Lift For Roewe i5 AP31 EP22 Ei5 MG EP 2017~2021 Electric Hatch Tailgate Tail gate Strut Auto Rear Door Actuator|Trunk Lids & Parts| - AliExpress

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom