MG5 slow charge only

Donal

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Up until the recent storms caused power cuts I haven't had to use public chargers. I have installed numerous apps as there seems lots of different charge companies and am now trying them. My MG5 trophy will only slow charge at under 7Kw for some reason and I'm hoping that its something I'm doing wrong and can fix.
Any suggestions

Ah I've just read an article where it seems to say that 22Kw chargers will only slow charge a MG5.
Looks as if I have to find a rapid charger (50Kw+) to get higher charging speeds.

Hi, unless you have a three phase cable and L2 and L3 populated on you car then you will only get 7kW.

Hi, unless you have a three phase cable and L2 and L3 populated on you car then you will only get 7kW.
This is correct. The cable from MG is not and will only allow 7kwh charging.
I have the FL and get about 9.7kwh of 11kwh after loss.

This was the one I got just to give you an idea.

Regardless if it's 7 or 11kw it's still going to take several hours to charge a car with low SOC, AC charging is more for destination charging (e.g makes sense at a shopping centre/retail park, at a restaurant or cinema.etc).

If you need to charge whilst you wait then you want to use a rapid.

Regardless if it's 7 or 11kw it's still going to take several hours to charge a car with low SOC, AC charging is more for destination charging (e.g makes sense at a shopping centre/retail park, at a restaurant or cinema.etc).

If you need to charge whilst you wait then you want to use a rapid.
Yep very true.
My rough estimations when I use the "11kw" rate is about 20% per hour. I know it is a little longer than this but makes the maths in my head easy :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom