MG5 System Fault Help Please

Nowhere in the sequence did you mention turning the car off until the end after you had the failure, and you did not mention turning the car on before trying to select Drive.
I assume the car was turned off before you plugged in ?

I just tried my first rapid charge on my MG5 Facelift trophy LR and got a HV battery failure.
Was at an EV Power charger.
Steps to charge
Touch Electric Universe Octopus card again charger.
Followed instructions.
Connected cable.
Press start.
Connection failed.
Car beeped with red battery light coming on.
On charger pressed try again and it worked.
Charged to 80% (very quick).
Then stopped charge on charger.
Got in car no errors.
Tried to put car in drive and got HV error with beeps.
Having read forum I did not immediately panic.
Went for easy option first and turned car off and back on.
Error gone car all good.

This was my first rapid charge so hoping that was my worst experience and all clear along ahead.
I picked up the car 4 days ago and all updates were installed before pick up.

Going to try another different make one tomorrow see what happens.

Side note the charger centre was amazing. Very clean nice roof over it. View attachment 14044

When you turn the car on after a charge make sure it comes up fully before you do anything like selecting drive.

Oh and as gomev says make sure the car is OFF when you go to end the charge on the charger.

Nowhere in the sequence did you mention turning the car off until the end after you had the failure, and you did not mention turning the car on before trying to select Drive.
I assume the car was turned off before you plugged in ?
Hey
So red faced and egg on my face too lol.

A reminder about why reader the manual more than once and remembering what you read is important lol

So I had it in my head that the car needed to be on. This also explained why 3 attempts I made to rapid charged failed yesterday.

After reading here and then the manual I tried using the rapid charger the right way lol and guess what it worked. InstaVolt for reference.
I got 48 up to 80% then dropped to 34 after 80%. I was happy with that. I only charged over 80 to see what the charge wait would drop too.

The only thing I noticed now is after every changée the car flashes up ACC system unavailable but then goes by the time the car has finished booting. I am going to ask the dealer about this.
7A24FB69-8347-4DDC-84C5-F9422851CF8A.jpeg
FBED4D22-B8E8-4260-9EEE-4F503A187162.jpeg
00FAC2BF-06C9-47DC-B9AF-CEB5CE9046AE.jpeg

Hey
So red faced and egg on my face too lol.

A reminder about why reader the manual more than once and remembering what you read is important lol

So I had it in my head that the car needed to be on. This also explained why 3 attempts I made to rapid charged failed yesterday.

After reading here and then the manual I tried using the rapid charger the right way lol and guess what it worked. InstaVolt for reference.
I got 48 up to 80% then dropped to 34 after 80%. I was happy with that. I only charged over 80 to see what the charge wait would drop too.

The only thing I noticed now is after every changée the car flashes up ACC system unavailable but then goes by the time the car has finished booting. I am going to ask the dealer about this.
View attachment 14096View attachment 14097View attachment 14098
Pleased to hear that all is well. Yep just remember to make sure car is off when starting charges. On pre-facelift for ending charges too but not sure about the new facelift as can you end the charge from the infotainment ?
Not a mistake I'm sure you will ever make again :)

Pleased to hear that all is well. Yep just remember to make sure car is off when starting charges. On pre-facelift for ending charges too but not sure about the new facelift as can you end the charge from the infotainment ?
Not a mistake I'm sure you will ever make again :)
Lol nope one I will never forget. Some of the most memorable lessons are learnt from mistake’s :)

So far I have not tried turning the car on while charger. Just turned in the electrics for radio etc (pressing start with no brake pedal).

I can confirm on AC charging it did not stop charging when I unlocked the car.

There is a stop charging button on the screen. I have tried stopping the charge from the car and the charger both worked as expected.

I have just got my car back this morning from Luscombe, who I must say have done great to turn it around when it’s the festive period. The car was apparently showing multiple error codes and was also due a recall item which I’m not sure what that was (Luscombe didn’t tell me over phone and at handover was just given keys). So a full software update (I bought on Dec 20 so prob needed one) and it’s all back to normal and working again. Just makes me feel nervous now when using public charging after the experience.
Hoping the updates make it less prone to a funny charger causing so much havoc.

I have just got my car back this morning from Luscombe, who I must say have done great to turn it around when it’s the festive period. The car was apparently showing multiple error codes and was also due a recall item which I’m not sure what that was (Luscombe didn’t tell me over phone and at handover was just given keys). So a full software update (I bought on Dec 20 so prob needed one) and it’s all back to normal and working again. Just makes me feel nervous now when using public charging after the experience.
Hoping the updates make it less prone to a funny charger causing so much havoc.
Glad it all worked out and thanks for sharing the problem.

The cycled errors is normal when you've had the 12v battery off, they clear up after 5 minutes of driving. Everyone suggests the 12v battery trick to clear issues, but forget to warn the person that they will see every warning message under the sun whilst the system re-learns what it's got attached.

My cars been flawless for last 9 months, but I've only used 1 rapid charger in that time and this kind of issue would be my main concern when planning a longer trip, not charger availability, but finding ones that are function and wont turn the car into a paperweight.
In answer to your worries about charging on the move, I have no home charging so use public charging all the time. Never had a problem

Perhaps I'm just lucky I've had my MG5 LR for 15 months and done some long trips using rapid chargers and haven't experienced this problem 🤞 The only problem I have had was a Gridserve charger which failed to work wouldn't release my cable I kept locking / unlocking and eventually it released. It is a fear that is in the back of my mind every time I rapid charge that these problems can happen, is it only MG that have these problems?

Can't answer your query but re the cable release have a hunt around here as there is a thread which describes how to use a piece of string to activate the emergency cable release easily. I've used it successfully a number of times.

EDIT: Gomev mentions it here Nasty Moment at a Pod Point

Perhaps I'm just lucky I've had my MG5 LR for 15 months and done some long trips using rapid chargers and haven't experienced this problem 🤞 The only problem I have had was a Gridserve charger which failed to work wouldn't release my cable I kept locking / unlocking and eventually it released. It is a fear that is in the back of my mind every time I rapid charge that these problems can happen, is it only MG that have these problems?
Curious as I have the facelift does the pre-facelift have a button on the info centre to unlock the cable like the facelift?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom