MG5 Trophy - MG PIlot features (and other).

Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Prior to getting our 5 Trophy on 30th December 2022, I've started reading the on-line user manual (written by a 5 year old?). A few questions:
1) Adaptive cruise control - had it before on a Jeep, good idea. But can it be used as a normal CC without the adaptive bit?
2) Does MG Pilot offer a speed limiting function, very useful in say motorway roadworks?
3) Are the interior roof lights LED? If not, I'll probably change these out.
4) We'll only be using the car around town, do I need to keep an eye on the 12v battery state of charge? We have a CTEK MX5.0 intelligent charger that on previous ICE cars was hard wired plug & play to "maintain" the 12v battery, so thinking of doing the same on the 5. But maybe not needed?
TIA guys and looking forward to getting behind the wheel (y)(y)

Mine is pre-facelift so answers could be wrong.

1) No, though you can get used to the adaptive bit
2) Yes I believe so but I use the cruise nearly all teh time
3) No idea, why change them? They're not on long enough to give a problem are they?
4) I don't know but I don't think so

I think you will enjoy the car. Even my slightly anti-EV mate conceded it was a smooth drive!

Adaptive cruise is just normal cruise which also slows down if there is a car in front of you. Honestly there is no value whatsoever in not using it because it’s not adaptive…

... but in usage it also slows down (sometimes dramatically) when it thinks there is a car in front when there isn't, or speeds up too rapidly in some scenarios (e.g. coming off an urban roundabout).

I'm know probably unusual in using ACC around town but it's something I've always done.

I have had a facelift MG5 Trophy for over a week now. The Adaptive Cruise Control is great. Just use it like ordinary CC. It is quite interesting if you forget you have it on and it slows the car down behind a car at a roundabout and the car in front then pulls away. You suddenly, and the acceleration is rapid, get launched into the roundabout following the car in front that has already gone without any recognition of other cars on the roundabout. I assume that the collision system would work if it suddenly sees a car coming from the right but I am not going to test it!

I have issues with the Intelligent Speed Control function. It does not work. You have to select it before you take off... It is a bit like flying, you need to set all the controls before you accelerate down the runway. On mind it immediately fails with a yellow triangle appearing on the screen with a message to contact MG Dealer. This I have done and they are going to have it in during Jan to see what the issue is. The diagnostics are showing an "Intermittent Failure" but it happens every time I select the Intelligent Speed Control function and it tries to detect a speed sign.

Because of the way speed signs are done near here, and the way it recognises signs, I'm not sure it would be much use.

The car seems to drop the current speed limit if you turn a reasonably sharp corner (like off a roundabout).

Here, as you are approaching a roundabout, there is sometimes a revised speed limit - I can think of one where it goes from 30 to 40. But then there is either a new speed limit sign as you come off the roundabout (on my route it is back to 30) or if you turn left there is no sign, so the speed limit remains at 40, but the car has forgotten what it was as you've turned.

Too smart for it's own good I think.

Prior to getting our 5 Trophy on 30th December 2022, I've started reading the on-line user manual (written by a 5 year old?). A few questions:
1) Adaptive cruise control - had it before on a Jeep, good idea. But can it be used as a normal CC without the adaptive bit?
2) Does MG Pilot offer a speed limiting function, very useful in say motorway roadworks?
3) Are the interior roof lights LED? If not, I'll probably change these out.
4) We'll only be using the car around town, do I need to keep an eye on the 12v battery state of charge? We have a CTEK MX5.0 intelligent charger that on previous ICE cars was hard wired plug & play to "maintain" the 12v battery, so thinking of doing the same on the 5. But maybe not needed?
TIA guys and looking forward to getting behind the wheel (y)(y)

You will find ACC very very nice in urban stop start traffic. However you will need to override it (by applying the brake as per normal just like CC, for traffic lights and junctions, and unlike @smokie I would recommend for roundabouts too.
You can alter the set speed manually very quickly for say motorway roadworks with a quick flick or two of the stalk.
Re the 12v battery, no more than you would for any other car if only using around town.

P.S. why are you spending £34,000 on a car with 250 mile range just to drive around town, you could have bought a town car ? :)

P.S. why are you spending £34,000 on a car with 250 mile range just to drive around town, you could have bought a town car ? :)
"Around town" - should have said "very few journeys over 30 miles round trip" but we do a 200 mile round trip six times a year.
As for ACC, this is where it fell down on our Jeep Cherokee - 70mph in lane one on a dual carriageway, approaching slower vehicle in lane one. We slow down to 60mph to match the vehicle's speed in lane one. Slower vehicle then spots another vehicle way off in the distance and moves out to lane two (too early?). Our Jeep then senses no vehicle in front and accelerates back up to 70mph. Unless I then cancelled the ACC, we'd techically undertake that slow car now in lane two.
Maybe things have moved on but we'll see.

I must admit undertaking has become fairly commonplace for me now. When I am cruising at 65 in lane 1 on the 4 lane motorway and there is someone alone in lane 3, or even in lane 2 sometimes, I just carry on in lane.

I wouldn't do it if I was exceeding the speed limit but someone using three lanes when they are doing under 65 somewhat irritates me.

"Around town" - should have said "very few journeys over 30 miles round trip" but we do a 200 mile round trip six times a year.
As for ACC, this is where it fell down on our Jeep Cherokee - 70mph in lane one on a dual carriageway, approaching slower vehicle in lane one. We slow down to 60mph to match the vehicle's speed in lane one. Slower vehicle then spots another vehicle way off in the distance and moves out to lane two (too early?). Our Jeep then senses no vehicle in front and accelerates back up to 70mph. Unless I then cancelled the ACC, we'd techically undertake that slow car now in lane two.
Maybe things have moved on but we'll see.
A little harsh to blame your Cherokee's ACC for the actions of a driver in front pulling out 'too early' to overtake another car.
You could of course take control yourself and have moved out to overtake the vehicle in front before it pulled out as you clearly left it 'too late' which caused you to slow down. You can accelerate while in ACC just like in CC.
The tools are only doing what they are supposed to do, we the drivers are in charge of how well we use them.

I must admit undertaking has become fairly commonplace for me now. When I am cruising at 65 in lane 1 on the 4 lane motorway and there is someone alone in lane 3, or even in lane 2 sometimes, I just carry on in lane.

I wouldn't do it if I was exceeding the speed limit but someone using three lanes when they are doing under 65 somewhat irritates me.

I would argue that you're not 'undertaking' merely passing on the inside. Lanes 2 to 4 are for passing slower vehicles, nobody has any reason to be in those unless they are doing so. Undertaking would be coming up behind slower vehicles then moving to the inside lanes to pass them.

As frustrating as people in incorrect lanes is, I also find those that are unable to maintain their speed irritating, they come past you, move into your lane, then scrub speed on the next incline forcing you to move out and around them whilst maintaining 60mph. The ACC is quite handy for this as it does stop you suddenly flying up behind them as you would with normal CC.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom