My new MG3 Hybrid

KeithS

Novice Member
Reaction score
I took delivery of a new MG3 Hybrid Trophy in Battersea blue on Friday last week 3rd May.
This is my daily runabout and replaced a 3dr DS3 which I had from new for just over six years.
I have to say how impressed I am with the car, particularly from the value for money perspective. Compared to a similarly equipped European super mini it’s some five thousand pounds cheaper, and yet it drives and is as well built as any of its mainstream rivals.
The economy is a particularly strong point, with an average over a couple of hundred miles well into the mid 50s mpg, and on one trip where I was able to make most use of the hybrid benefits over 70mpg was showing! It’s so far proving a lot more efficient than my DS3 which used the Stellantis 1.2 litre 3 cylinder turbo engine coupled to an auto box. That averaged low 30s, but it has to be said in order to achieve these figures on the MG, you have to be covering a journey long enough to allow for some driving in EV mode.
The other stand out feature is the lane assist and adaptive cruise control. I have on my other car - a Genesis Electrified G80, similar technology albeit a little more advanced- it’s described as autonomous level 2.5 as it adds auto lane change, and amongst its other features will park itself WHEN YOU'RE OUTSIDE THE CAR, however it takes its time and your often quicker doing it yourself, that aside being a lazy driver I found it a brilliant benefit to take the effort out of driving. The system on the MG3 has the same basic functionality, and over the last few days I’ve been making use of it as much as possible. Unlike the Genesis which is over five metres long, and far from practical around town (it’s like manoeuvring an Ocean liner!) the compact dimensions of the MG as with my previous DS3, make it perfect for short journeys, and the MG Pilot just adds to the ease.
The only issue, which I discovered today, are some marks (possibly adhesive) on the rubber trim located at the base of the rear drivers side door window.
It will be interesting trying out MG aftersales service in this respect!

Last edited by a moderator:
So does the MG3 hybrid self park?

What speed can you drive full electric at?

I assume not for long, as the small hybrid battery would presumably run down quickly.

So does the MG3 hybrid self park?

What speed can you drive full electric at?

I assume not for long, as the small hybrid battery would presumably run down quickly.
Nope it doesn’t self park, I was referring to my Genesis.
The car will run albeit briefly on battery only at motorway speeds. The benefit of the hybrid system is from overall economy. From what I can tell, unlike most self charging hybrids, at certain times loads etc the engine can run just to charge up the battery, and with the engine only running at idle speeds in this mode you gain from improved efficiency.

Congrats, Had a test drive in a Trophy yesterday. Was surprised with the acceleration and comfort and compared it to how my Seat Mii Electric performs. Have a white Trophy on order

Did you get free floor mats ?

Congrats, Had a test drive in a Trophy yesterday. Was surprised with the acceleration and comfort and compared it to how my Seat Mii Electric performs. Have a white Trophy on order

Did you get free floor mats ?
Afraid not, but I did get a good discount!
I agree with your other points, and I continue to be surprised by the amount of features that come as standard...

Unfortunately mg pilot not as good as u describe at my MG4 EV
Without meaning to bring up my other car, the Genesis the MG Pilot lacks the smoothness of control of my other car with braking and steering at times being a little abrupt, however it seems to tackle sharper corners autonomously...

I agree with your other points, and I continue to be surprised by the amount of features that come as standard...

Without meaning to bring up my other car, the Genesis the MG Pilot lacks the smoothness of control of my other car with braking and steering at times being a little abrupt, however it seems to tackle sharper corners autonomously...
I drove the GV80 diesel and the ACC system is very good. Actually with all new Kia-Hyundai cars.

But for the price of the MG it is nice to have.

Last edited by a moderator:
£18K does seem even better value than the MG4

I just wish it was a plug In hybrid
Plug in hybrid isn't good for everyone. The EHS do 10 km/l after 50km when the battery is empty. Self charging hybrid can do 20 km/l even for long distance and it will be more efficient for people who can't place charger at their parking spot.

I think the EHS is much bigger than the MG3. I can't see why a "self charging" hybrid would return much better economy just because it doesn't have a charge port.

Do you have the part number for the mats ? Is it the same as the mats used for the previous MG3
Part no : 30073783

MG 3 Fabric Floor Mats RHD

Do you have the part number for the mats ? Is it the same as the mats used for the previous MG3
Part no : 30073783

MG 3 Fabric Floor Mats RHD
I understand they are a new design for the MG3 HYBRID. When I collected the car, the sales girl mentioned she had to find the new shape mats as the previous model mats didn't fit.
I'm afraid I don't have the part no. but perhaps my selling dealer parts dept could help - Glyn Hopkins MG Mill Hill.

I think the EHS is much bigger than the MG3. I can't see why a "self charging" hybrid would return much better economy just because it doesn't have a charge port.
Becuse its engineered to work without charging. Take the RAV4 Hybrid (which is bigger then the EHS) and take EHS that isn't changed (after 50km) you will findout that the self charging RAV4 will be ~70% more efficiently.

On the other end, people who drive up to 50km a day and have the ability to install charger at home, can do most of their everyday driving without fuel at all.

I understand they are a new design for the MG3 HYBRID. When I collected the car, the sales girl mentioned she had to find the new shape mats as the previous model mats didn't fit.
I'm afraid I don't have the part no. but perhaps my selling dealer parts dept could help - Glyn Hopkins MG Mill Hill.

I will find the correct version and post here

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom