Navigation/SatNav Question

ARealHuman

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hi,

I've been thinking about navigation options for the car when I get it, particularly the need to be aware of charging locations on longer journeys ;) So, coming from the world of two wheels and long journeys, I'm used to being able to plot a route on, say, a PC and then send that to my bike's satnav unit which obviously allows me to plan a route taking in scenic/unusual/dangerous roads that would be avoided when using a satnav as you normally would (start/end locations, waypoints). So, is there a way to do this with the native satnav of the car? I'm aware that you can do this with Google Maps (and therefore Zap Map) - and Apple Maps too in a fashion - but would prefer not to use Google if I can help of it (paranoid privacy concerns ?).

Many thanks,

ARH

Hi,

I've been thinking about navigation options for the car when I get it, particularly the need to be aware of charging locations on longer journeys ;) So, coming from the world of two wheels and long journeys, I'm used to being able to plot a route on, say, a PC and then send that to my bike's satnav unit which obviously allows me to plan a route taking in scenic/unusual/dangerous roads that would be avoided when using a satnav as you normally would (start/end locations, waypoints). So, is there a way to do this with the native satnav of the car? I'm aware that you can do this with Google Maps (and therefore Zap Map) - and Apple Maps too in a fashion - but would prefer not to use Google if I can help of it (paranoid privacy concerns ?).

Many thanks,

ARH
Try “a better route planner”
Regards

I intend to jailbreak my iPhone and use carbridge to run any app through CarPlay.

also, “a better route planner” is the name of the website/app.

I intend to jailbreak my iPhone and use carbridge to run any app through CarPlay.

also, “a better route planner” is the name of the website/app.
Ah, OK, thanks, never heard of that one before! Can youpudate us on your jailbreak/carbridge please? ;)

Here is a quick video showing the jailbreak process
Car bridge and carplay

I would recommend Jailbreak subbreddit for further reading and to check which versions of iOS are vulnerable.

Jailbreaking temporarily voids your warranty, you must remove it before you head to Apple store.

With a jail broken iPhone you can install mame!! Any questions give us a shout.

Last edited:
Here is a quick video showing the jailbreak process
Car bridge and carplay

I would recommend Jailbreak subbreddit for further reading and to check which versions of iOS are vulnerable.

Jailbreaking temporarily voids your warranty, you must remove it before you head to Apple store.

With a jail broken iPhone you can install mame!! Any questions give us a shout.

Thansk for that, interesting video. Coincidentally, I was just on the Epic store checking out upcoming freebies and Alto was on there and it's in his video - spooky! :LOL: MAME sounds fun too. Might give this a go once I have the car.

Hmmmm, just tried "a better route planner" - how the hell does it work in a browser? I can't seem to select a start/end point, I can set a start but it won't accept anything else that I can set as an end, just keeps saying it can't calculate a route from one location. It's not intuititve to me and I'm not new to this stuff! :eek: I was expecting it to join the dots, so I put in a start and end and it routes between the two - I didn't get as far as waypoints.

You need to input say a postcode, and then click on the search result that comes up to get it to enter into the field, took me a couple of gos to get that. The mobile app is a little better.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom