New Charger

DON

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi all my ev is due March been thinking about which charger, i only do 5000miles per year at the most had a couple of quotes, and one more coming in from Hypervolt, seem a lot of problems with smart charger seem to be WiFi problems, thinking now do i need a smart charger as the new MG ev charging can be set on the app, so maybe a dumb charger would be better ? less to go wrong and no need for grant, or a commando socket for just granny changing, as i have no smart meter but I am on economy seven so have a good 8hrs every night to charge, couple of question's is there a dumb charger that does not need a earth rod, also is a commando socket ok for ev charging, when I decide which one, with your help, I will want it fitted on a new cu so not to interfere with my house cu, any thoughts please.

You might be fine just using the granny charger, if you're only doing avg 100 miles per week the granny will charge your car happily.

I am pretty sure you can’t buy a dumb / non smart wall box anymore ?.
Unless you went third party ?.
I think they all have to be smart units now.
I don’t think the Hypervolt needs a earth rod.
May depend on your earth system type at your home.
If your present CU is at capacity already, then a small stand alone CU could be used.
He feed could be supplied to both CU’s by then splitting the meter tails to provide feeds to both units.

I am pretty sure you can’t buy a dumb / non smart wall box anymore ?.
Unless you went third party ?.
I think they all have to be smart units now.
I don’t think the Hypervolt needs a earth rod.
May depend on your earth system type at your home.
If your present CU is at capacity already, then a small stand alone CU could be used.
He feed could be supplied to both CU’s by then splitting the meter tails to provide feeds to both units.
Qubev do a dumb but it needs a earth rod don't know why, most smart chargers don't need a earth rod, i have spare 40 amp on my cu, but i would want a separate small cu, yes by splitting the tails so the charger does need affect my house cu. looked at just using a Granny charger got shot down in flames when i posted on facebook 🤷‍♂️

I've happily used a granny for the past 2 years, for around 12,000 miles per year. The socket is on a separate fused spur and I changed the double socket to a good manufacturer (MK). Zero temperature rise in the socket or the granny plug. I found it difficult to justify the cost of a separate 7KW charger.

I like the idea of charging from a purpose built wall box and then, retiring the Granny charger for use as a back unit, should the wall box develop a fault.
Also, place the “Granny” in the car when going away for a few days, where the charging infrastructure is poor.
As the size of HV battery packs increase in their capacity, longer charging times are going to be required at home.
This likely to be a weak spot for charging from a “Granny” due to the length of time required on charge.
If you are on a cheaper night rate window of around 5 hours, then using a “Granny” unit is not going provide a decent level of charge back into that battery in that short time frame.

Hi all my ev is due March been thinking about which charger, i only do 5000miles per year at the most had a couple of quotes, and one more coming in from Hypervolt, seem a lot of problems with smart charger seem to be WiFi problems, thinking now do i need a smart charger as the new MG ev charging can be set on the app, so maybe a dumb charger would be better ? less to go wrong and no need for grant, or a commando socket for just granny changing, as i have no smart meter but I am on economy seven so have a good 8hrs every night to charge, couple of question's is there a dumb charger that does not need a earth rod, also is a commando socket ok for ev charging, when I decide which one, with your help, I will want it fitted on a new cu so not to interfere with my house cu, any thoughts please.
I was going to have a WallBox fitted but as I only do about 5500 miles a year, have worked out, with the help and advice from several members on here, that it would be an unnecessary expense at about £700 fitted! Since I got my MG5EV at the beginning of November, I charge up with my granny and this is only once every ten days or so.

Why do you want to splurge out on a fast charger? Just be patient and charge it slowly. Perhaps use supermarket free chargers now and again. Save the money and buy something else for your pride and joy. Your new car I mean, not your wife!

I was going to have a WallBox fitted but as I only do about 5500 miles a year, have worked out, with the help and advice from several members on here, that it would be an unnecessary expense at about £700 fitted! Since I got my MG5EV at the beginning of November, I charge up with my granny and this is only once every ten days or so.

Why do you want to splurge out on a fast charger? Just be patient and charge it slowly. Perhaps use supermarket free chargers now and again. Save the money and buy something else for your pride and joy. Your new car I mean, not your wife!
Can I ask where do you plug in I have not got a outside point.

Can I ask where do you plug in I have not got a outside point.
I don’t have an outside outside one either, just a power point, specifically for powertools etc at the wrong end of the garage. Following expert advice, I bought a heavy duty 10m extension cord from Screwfix that stretches to the entrance of the garage. Then I plug in the granny and then into the car. Then switch on and bobs your uncle!

The extension cord must be heavy duty - no ordinary cord can be used. This is the one……..

MASTERPLUG 13A 1-GANG UNSWITCHED EXTENSION LEAD 10M (44635)​

Lots of members use this one apparently As well as many other EV owners of other brands As well.
Good luck!

I don’t have the very same unit as this, but my 5 year old dumb 7.0kw 32 Amp unit looks almost identical.
I bought an almost new / used one of these for £60 to refurb my old unit.
The back and front casing on my old unit had broken retaining posts.
You can not buy just the casings, so this was a good option.
Of course you already know It is just a weather proof socket really.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom