New MG3 Hybrid+

TAP

Standard Member
Reaction score
Like to know your thoughts on the new MG 3 Hybrid+ which i believe can be ordered now or in next few weeks.
Specs look great as does fuel economy. Think MG might be onto a winner with this new MG3. Hoping to get a test drive in 10 days time.

Like to know your thoughts on the new MG 3 Hybrid+ which i believe can be ordered now or in next few weeks.
Specs look great as does fuel economy. Think MG might be onto a winner with this new MG3. Hoping to get a test drive in 10 days time.
Much better to look at - like a mini MG4.

Disappointing that they didn't manage a BEV version, but maybe they don't think there is a market for such things.

Like you I’m looking forward to having a test drive in the new MG3 in the next week or so, remarkable value for money.

Looking at the specs I was surprised at the size of the electric motor ... 100kW. I can't (easily) see any details re. size of the hybrid battery though.

I currently drive a EV and previously had the MG4 and MG5, I’m considering a self charging hybrid and this may well fit the bill.

Thought it was less than 2kWh. Seen 1.83kWh mentioned.
That's so small as to be worthless ... I assume the new MG3 must be a mild hybrid then, and the ICE engine does the donkey work. (i.e. you get virtually no electric-only driving).

I’m considering a self charging hybrid
At the end of every episode of EV News Daily, the announcer says (or used to say years ago when I still listened regularly) "And remember, there is no such thing as a "self driving hybrid!". Maybe it was "self charging", I can't recall now.

I agree with the announcer that it makes the car sound like it's magic, and it certainly isn't that. All the energy for driving comes from petrol or diesel.

In any case, I think it's not a useful term. Non plug-in hybrid, while less fancy, is far more accurate.

I drove a 2007 for many years. It was a good car, and had much better fuel economy than our other ICE vehicle at the time. We did have to replace the hybrid battery after about 10 years (around12 years from new) at a cost 5 years ago of over AU$3000. Hybrids (non plug-in or plug-in) are hard on battery cells, since a small battery has to drive a heavy vehicle.

That's so small as to be worthless ... I assume the new MG3 must be a mild hybrid then, and the ICE engine does the donkey work. (i.e. you get virtually no electric-only driving).
Confirmed 1.83kwh from the specs MG3 Hybrid+.

So just a little bit of regen when in traffic or going down steep hills. Meanwhile the engine will still be idling and using petrol?

Can't put spare/cheap renewable electricity into these mild hybrids - the battery in my EV is the most valuable bit as far as I'm concerned. Worth paying a little more to have the asset of a big battery. 51kWh of home battery would cost thousands!

It’s not a mild hybrid. This is a hybrid with an efficient range extender cycle for the ICE so it can use the most efficient propulsion system depending on load, speed and conditions.
The advantage compared to a regular self charging hybrid (yes self charging because the car is charging the battery ‘by itself’ and doesn’t require you to plug it in if it runs out) is that the engine can work as an efficient range extender exclusively in some circumstances therefore limiting fuel consumption further. A small battery keeps costs down.

I have a mild hybrid Kia Stonic and compared to the non mild hybrid version returns 3 to 6 more mpg on average, but more crucially it does so when under load and whether it’s winter or summer. It can’t drive on electric only.

Last edited:
It’s not a mild hybrid. This is a hybrid with an efficient range extender cycle for the ICE so it can use the most efficient propulsion system depending on load, speed and conditions.
The advantage compared to a regular self charging hybrid (yes self charging because the car is charging the battery ‘by itself’ and doesn’t require you to plug it in if it runs out) is that the engine can work as an efficient range extender exclusively in some circumstances therefore limiting fuel consumption further. A small battery keeps costs down.

I have a mild hybrid Kia Stonic and compared to the non mild hybrid version returns 3 to 6 more mpg on average, but more crucially it does so when under load and whether it’s winter or summer. But it has no electric motor and can’t drive on electric only.
Ahh, so can the MG3+ can drive on battery only making it a "full hybrid" rather than a "mild" one?

Definitely not a PHEV though let alone a REX - quite a different proposition from a range-extender on a plug-in BMW i3.

The new MG3 full hybrid battery is well above average size at 1.83kWh..my battery is only 0.80 kWh in my AR Tonale hybrid. My previous car was a Peugeot e-2008 with a maximum power of 100kW so there is decent power output from this new MG3 especially for the asking price. Well done MG.
Slight delay in getting demo cars to showrooms at the moment.

I have a mild hybrid Kia Stonic and compared to the non mild hybrid version returns 3 to 6 more mpg on average, but more crucially it does so when under load and whether it’s winter or summer. But it has no electric motor and can’t drive on electric only.
I'm pretty sure that any hybrid (mild or not, plug-in or not) has to have an electric motor. Otherwise, how can it improve fuel economy? Even a 2000 Prius has a motor, in fact Prii have two motor/generators.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom