New on here - 125 mile commute - looking for advice

nincoaskmil

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello all

I'm new on here. I am really impressed with the MG ZS EV and I'm considering getting the car. It looks fanastic at the price.

I'm interested to see whether people here who are currently usinig the car think whether this would fit my needs for the next 5 years.

I'm aware of the different discussions out there about range. It looks as if for pure motorway driving at at 60 - 70 a range of 130 - 140 miles can be expected.

I'll be driving a 125 mile trip 2-3 days a week. There is the potential to charge at work but there may be the odd occassion that this isn't possible becuase all the chargers are in use. Although there are plenty of chargers now, I can forsee an upsurge of EVs in the next year with the governement changes. I think many workplaces will see more EVs meaning that the current provision of chargers is likely to be inefficent.

Do you think the the MGs range would be enough for me? Provided I coudl charge it would be fine I think, but I'd prefer to be able to do it on one charge if I had to. I'm worried that the range of the battery will degrade over the next few years so 155 miles today is 140 in a couple of years.

What do people think?

Thanks in advance

N

Welcome to the forum. First of all, car batteries do not degrade like Apple's phone batteries. There will be no degradation in just a couple of years. People are seeing something like 10% degradation over a period of 10 years or 100,000 miles.

Next, I have found that if I drive at 60mph, I get much higher efficiency than at 70mph. But I have a different car. This may be worth discussing with other MG owners. Ask them to record what their m/kwh reading is at 60mph and 70mph (along a section of flat road). So when you say you drive at 60-70mph, then how you drive will make a difference.

So you have a round trip of 125 miles. If you plan to try and do the whole thing in one charge, I think you will be struggling because it's not recommended to take your car below 10% charge, and this might get you close.
Your best option would be to park at your work and charge for a few hours on a 7kw or even 3kw (known as granny) charger. 7 and 3 kw chargers will be kinder to your battery. You only need to put maybe 20 miles in.
And then you can charge to full each night, right?
I would talk to your work about your plans and ask them whether they might have plans to add more chargers.

Meanwhile if you can charge there most of the time, then I think you'll be ok if there are rapid chargers along the route home you can use if you need it. Stopping at one of these on the way home for 5 or ten minutes will top you up enough.

What's your route?

.... and it will only be in the depths of winter when you are using lights, heater, etc, that the available range from a full battery might be marginal. Drive gently, maximise regen braking and keep below 60mph and you should be fine.

It's ok saying that Mike but new-to-electric-car users shouldn't have to adapt driving style too much as a compromise on manufacturer's quoted figures and avoid 'normal' driving and I get passed by plenty of Tesla drivers at way above legal limit speeds.

When I tested the MG ZS EV joining a fast flowing section on a motorway I soon found myself up to 80mph for a brief while before gradually dropping back to 60mph as I worked my way across lanes to exit. The car pulled away instantly and was most impressive. After the test drive I noted we had covered 22 miles in mixed driving but the car showed it had 'lost' 30 miles in reserve capacity.

I mentioned this to the dealers informing them I make a regular 115 miles mainly motorway journey at 70mph where permissible and needed to ensure the car was capable without 'refuelling.' They quoted MG's figures on the 'real time' circuit driving and said ti wouldn't be an issue. When I reminded them of this recently whilst arranging a collection date I was informed MG had revised this down by about a 20 mile, range although I do not see this reflected in any promotional or advertising so I am going by what was quoted at the time of order and have made it quite clear that if it cannot achieve this then I will be returning the car as not being fit for purpose.

Whilst on the point of collection anyone who is about to take delivery may wish to note my new thread PDI Issues...

passed by plenty of Tesla drivers at way above legal limit speeds
Yeah but Tesla drivers have lots of range and lots of supercharger stations. And they pay a lot more for their cars. You pays your money, you takes your choice.
Other EV drivers with smaller range and fewer/less reliable charging options will have to make allowances. I know because I've been doing it for over 2 years already.
I used to drive an Audi diesel at 90 mph on motorway runs. Now I'm happy being more efficient nearer 60.
Not everyone will change their driving habits, but some do.
I will be returning the car
Yes, I think you will.

Last edited:
As you will be aware, a number of factors affect range including ancillaries in use, driving style, ambient temperature (cold air is heavier and causes more drag as does the frontal area of the car), etc but speed has the greatest impact with 60mph using roughly twice the power of 40mph. 80mph uses 50% more again than 60mph. In your case, you make a few compromises during the winter months (and this forum tries to help by highlighting how to minimise their impact), pay £15k more for a similar-sized Kona/Niro/ID3 with a bigger battery or a little more for a physically smaller Zoe/208/Corsa. As Stuart says, you pay your money and make your choice.

It's ok saying that Mike but new-to-electric-car users shouldn't have to adapt driving style too much as a compromise on manufacturer's quoted figures and avoid 'normal' driving and I get passed by plenty of Tesla drivers at way above legal limit speeds. I mentioned this to the dealers informing them I make a regular 115 miles mainly motorway journey at 70mph where permissible and needed to ensure the car was capable without 'refuelling.' They quoted MG's figures on the 'real time' circuit driving and said ti wouldn't be an issue. When I reminded them of this recently whilst arranging a collection date I was informed MG had revised this down by about a 20 mile, range although I do not see this reflected in any promotional or advertising so I am going by what was quoted at the time of order and have made it quite clear that if it cannot achieve this then I will be returning the car as not being fit for purpose.
Hmm. If you are going to make comparisons with Tesla, I Reckon you need to consider what you are prepared to pay and what it is reasonable to expect for your money.

I aren't making direct comparisons with a Tesla it was just a passing comment. I appreciate that we are in a price/performance/distance equation about what you get for your money. I think MG have a fantastic opportunity to open up the market for the masses with the most reasonably priced family SUV which is likely to deliver for up to 90 per cent of prospective purchasers.

We are told that most journeys to and from work are less than 30 miles or a 60-mile-a-day commute so even allowing for local/regional family outings the majority of journeys can be covered without resorting to a charge away from the home.

All I am hoping for is that the car comes somewhere near it's stated mileage range and will deliver me between two destinations approximately 115 miles apart at speeds for the 90 miles or so motorway section at 70mph when driving conditions allow as I am able to get a full charge again at journey's end.

Hopefully the ZS EV will achieve this.

Welcome to the forum. First of all, car batteries do not degrade like Apple's phone batteries. There will be no degradation in just a couple of years. People are seeing something like 10% degradation over a period of 10 years or 100,000 miles.

Next, I have found that if I drive at 60mph, I get much higher efficiency than at 70mph. But I have a different car. This may be worth discussing with other MG owners. Ask them to record what their m/kwh reading is at 60mph and 70mph (along a section of flat road). So when you say you drive at 60-70mph, then how you drive will make a difference.

So you have a round trip of 125 miles. If you plan to try and do the whole thing in one charge, I think you will be struggling because it's not recommended to take your car below 10% charge, and this might get you close.
Your best option would be to park at your work and charge for a few hours on a 7kw or even 3kw (known as granny) charger. 7 and 3 kw chargers will be kinder to your battery. You only need to put maybe 20 miles in.
And then you can charge to full each night, right?
I would talk to your work about your plans and ask them whether they might have plans to add more chargers.

Meanwhile if you can charge there most of the time, then I think you'll be ok if there are rapid chargers along the route home you can use if you need it. Stopping at one of these on the way home for 5 or ten minutes will top you up enough.

What's your route?
Thanks. This is super helpful. My route is Liverpool to Lancaster, via M62 and M6. There are a number of chargers for staff at the destination and I could charge to full overnight. I won't be far from Lancaster services which does have rapid chargers so overall I think I should be fine.

Thanks. This is super helpful. My route is Liverpool to Lancaster, via M62 and M6. There are a number of chargers for staff at the destination and I could charge to full overnight. I won't be far from Lancaster services which does have rapid chargers so overall I think I should be fine.
Don't rely on the Ecotricity chargers at motorway service stations. Ecotricity chargers are pricey and unreliable.
Instead, subscribe to Polar and with the RFID card, use the chargers north and south of Preston.

I've been running my ZS EV for around 10 days now and have successfully completed 3 home 7kwh overnight charges and tried out the 13amp 'Granny Charger' ahead of my regular run to the southern Lake District a distance of some 110 miles via motorways or 86 miles up hill and down dale through the Yorkshire Dales and city centre traffic.

Prior to leaving I ensured I had a full charge with battery level showing 'remaining miles' of 139 at 'Normal' and 154 in Eco Drive mode. The weather turned pretty foul so wipers were on for quiet a lot of the journey, auto lights came on too and the heater midway with air con on (I have found that the car can tend to mist up otherwise).

Busy Friday traffic meant that for the first third of the journey I was travelling at 50-60mph rising to 60-65 for the middle section and then cruise control set at 70mph for the remaining section from the M6 Lancaster Services to leaving the motorway at Junction 36 and then around 60mph on the dual carriageway to Kendal.

The low-level battery warning light came on at around 40 miles reserve (running Normal mode) while still on the motorway and, although I knew where I was going, we punched the address in the SatNav to keep an eye on the distance to destination. Realising we should be OK but cutting things fine we called at Booths supermarket in Windermere where several new rapid charges have been installed which are thankfully contactless but at 35p per kWh charge rate decided I should have sufficient juice to reach home.

In the end the ZS EV covered the 110 miles showing just 14 miles in reserve. The car is now charging on the 'Granny Lead' and by morning will be fully charged again. I told the dealers upon ordering that if it could not do this regular trip without stopping then I would be returning the car so all credit to it just scraping in. I think the alternative return journey via A roads will be less challenging but none the less interesting.

However, as my wife pointed out, how would we cope if we needed an emergency run to A&E or something unexpected with no charge left in the car upon arrival? Fortunately there is a rapid charger in a nearby car park but, of course, even then we would need to wait at least 15 mins to recharge.

Are you having a 7kw charge point installed on your home so that it can charge faster than via the granny cable if needed?
Also do you have an appropriate electricity tariff to cater for the extra juice you are using over night?
Two questions. How often do you need to run to A&E in an emergency?
And if you do, can you not call an ambulance if it's a proper emergency?
I must admit, I have never ever factored running to A&E in an emergency into my charging habits.

I had the 7kw Pod-Point installed at home FOC courtesy of MG. I just used the 'Granny Charger' to check it worked prior to leaving on the car's first 'test run.' I agree about ambulances etc but we have been on roads before where diversions have taken us off the chosen route and that's what we were considering although I appreciate Zap-Map can locate nearby chargers.

As an update I decided the trial my first rapid charge earlier today at the Booths supermarket in Windermere as it could accommodate a contactless debit card. All seemed to work well except on returning and following instructions to switch off the charger would not remove from the car despite trying locked and unlocked several times. IN the end I contacted the help line and even with the operator saying she had shut the unit down it was still showing charging.

After about 10 rain soaked minutes on the phone it finally shut down and allowed me to remove the 50kw lead. Not a good experience for a first attempt and I'm just hoping that's not a sign of things to come.

After about 10 rain soaked minutes on the phone it finally shut down and allowed me to remove the 50kw lead. Not a good experience for a first attempt and I'm just hoping that's not a sign of things to come.
I've done lots of rapid charges in my Ioniq but never had this happen. Normally you have to end the charge and unlock your car for the cable lock to release. It sounds like on this occasion there was a fault with the charger. Checked Zap-map and it's an Instavolt.
Agree, that's not a great first experience.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom