No more free electrons from Tesco's

Tesco do a lot to manage their electricity (and other) costs, and also to some degree their environmentally friendliness. I know that as I was involved with a project for them which shaved a very small amount from refrigeration, but overall the saving is ££s to them was significant. That was years ago.

It really wouldn't have been rocket science for them to come up with a scheme to allow genuine customers to charge for free, or at a reduced cost, but obviously this is an area where they feel the cost outweighs the benefit.

Can't say I blame them.

I had what will probably be my last free top up yesterday.

Guessed it was going to happen sooner or later and can’t blame tescos for it. But does make me wonder what’s the point of the 7kw chargers now as local Tesco has a 90min time limit. So would only get 10kw top up max

I agree with your sentiments. We are going to hell on a handcart with a net zero ambition. Our contribution if successful will be 1% of what is needed on a global scale.
Exactly! What I want to know is if the whole of civilization managed to emit no CO2 would the plants start dying, or are there sufficient numbers of humans/animals breathing out carbon dioxide to keep 'em going 🤔🤭

Of course there are/were free electrons. We didn't have to pay so they were free to us. You say you are in line for any freebie but by your logic there are no freebies. :)
My logic is spot on thanks. Those electrons may be free to you, but someone is paying for the 21MW. It's either Tesco (in the form of reduced profits) or other customers (through inflated prices).

My logic is spot on thanks. Those electrons may be free to you, but someone is paying for the 21MW. It's either Tesco (in the form of reduced profits) or other customers (through inflated prices).
Indeed you are perfectly correct, the electrons were free to us.

Popped into a Lidl today and the free 7kw chargers are now 40ppkwh. :unsure:

It's the first time no one was parked at any of the 4 spaces

Do keep up at the back ‘twas posted end of last week
It does help others not to miss those posts though when the OP actually takes the time to assign a proper/clearer thread title. This one used here is a much better indication of the specific topic - maybe the mods can merge that one into this.

Had to happen I guess !.
The four EV bays are always full ( with the same cars / vans strangely enough ) when we go to our local Tesco’s for our weekly shop.
I very much doubt that all of these people are shopping in store to be honest.
Just grabbing free juice !.
It will be interesting to see if this trend now changes, as the free juice has been stopped.
My guess would be that it will and the spaces will now be freed up !.
28p / KWh is not bad in this current climate I guess, but you can’t get any cheaper than free !.
This will discourage the free loaders who don’t even use the store I guess.

So do lots of other businesses, but that doesn't mean they have to give away free electricity. Especially to non-customers.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom