North Wales and back

Dt99idr

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Went to North Wales (via shrewsbury) for a long weekend, ~500 miles.

In general a much better experience than the trip to Devon due to more chargers being available.
Friday night was perfect. Chargers in Hereford whilst looking around the shops and getting some lunch, then charged in Shrewsbury whilst having pizza for tea.
Perfect, charging was done when we wanted it, at a time and place that suited us.

Otherwise I stuck to Instavolt chargers which all worked fine (inc charging to 100% at that pizza hut stop). Had to stop off on the way back from wales to shrewsbury, and wife wasn't too keen on the 45min wait. (I did have a coffee).

I think this is my biggest complain really - I didn't do my research and believed the data MG quoted for charging at 80kW - not realising that most rapids only charge at 50kW, that extra 15mins is a really pain and feels so much longer!

Given current infrastructure, I'm glad I didn't pay extra to buy a Porsche expecting to charge at much faster speeds...

Of to London tomorrow night, so might have more choice of a charger on the way home on Thursday....

Is it a question of perhaps charging to 80% or where the MG5 slows down and adding another short stop? I’m still trying sort out charging strategy with my ZS EV.

No, just the speed at ~50kw. Did a charge from 21% to 80% so near perfect to the spec. But 50kw is 2/3 the speed of 80kw...

From my experience when using chargers will are genuinely capable of delivering 150kW+ (i.e. Ionity, some BP Pulse, Shell) the charge rate hovers around 80kW from below 10% to around 50%/60% and then drops down to around 45/50kW until around 80+% and again starts to tail off to the point where it's not worth sitting there waiting for more charge.

Last edited:
The charging rate is a curve not a constant, and it's dependent on numerous factors. If you're at a 100kW+ charger and you have a low enough state of charge and the battery is in its optimal temperature range then you might see 80kW for a brief period, but it quickly drops away as the battery gets warmer and above 50% charged.

50kW chargers typically only deliver 42-46kW and even that will taper off as the battery gets full. It slows to protect the battery because, even with active thermal management, rapid charging is damaging.

I'd strongly recommend never charging to 100% (or even above 90%) on a rapid charger. Primarily because it's a waste of time - the last 20% can take as long as the first 70%. But also to avoid unnecessary stress on the battery. Along with the issues people have had with the car cutting out at 93% then not starting, it just seems like a bad idea.

Obviously if you're busy eating pizza or whatever then you're not wasting your own time. But spare a thought for anyone else who might be waiting before continuing their journey. Ideally leave a Need to Charge card or contact details and be prepared to vacate the charger if someone else needs it, and never just leave the car sitting plugged into a rapid charger after the charging has stopped.

The charging rate is a curve not a constant, and it's dependent on numerous factors. If you're at a 100kW+ charger and you have a low enough state of charge and the battery is in its optimal temperature range then you might see 80kW for a brief period, but it quickly drops away as the battery gets warmer and above 50% charged.

50kW chargers typically only deliver 42-46kW and even that will taper off as the battery gets full. It slows to protect the battery because, even with active thermal management, rapid charging is damaging.

I'd strongly recommend never charging to 100% (or even above 90%) on a rapid charger. Primarily because it's a waste of time - the last 20% can take as long as the first 70%. But also to avoid unnecessary stress on the battery. Along with the issues people have had with the car cutting out at 93% then not starting, it just seems like a bad idea.

Obviously if you're busy eating pizza or whatever then you're not wasting your own time. But spare a thought for anyone else who might be waiting before continuing their journey. Ideally leave a Need to Charge card or contact details and be prepared to vacate the charger if someone else needs it, and never just leave the car sitting plugged into a rapid charger after the charging has stopped.
I was waiting for someone to comment on that :) I was on an instavolt double station, and was quite prepared to go and move my car if someone turned up at the second station. As for charging to 100% I had a long drive the next day that was going to be pushing the range, I really wanted that extra 20% - as stated above my other stops were to 80% only

A need to charge card is a good idea. I charged recently at Rapid near a restaurant and had every intention of returning at around 80% . My friend’s ‘near’ suggestion was 15 mins walk and then I was trapped at the lunchtime get together with others. Needless to say it was nearly 2 hours before I returned. A phone call from next in line would have given me pretext to get back to the car.

Went to North Wales (via shrewsbury) for a long weekend, ~500 miles.

In general a much better experience than the trip to Devon due to more chargers being available.
Friday night was perfect. Chargers in Hereford whilst looking around the shops and getting some lunch, then charged in Shrewsbury whilst having pizza for tea.
Perfect, charging was done when we wanted it, at a time and place that suited us.

Otherwise I stuck to Instavolt chargers which all worked fine (inc charging to 100% at that pizza hut stop). Had to stop off on the way back from wales to shrewsbury, and wife wasn't too keen on the 45min wait. (I did have a coffee).

I think this is my biggest complain really - I didn't do my research and believed the data MG quoted for charging at 80kW - not realising that most rapids only charge at 50kW, that extra 15mins is a really pain and feels so much longer!

Given current infrastructure, I'm glad I didn't pay extra to buy a Porsche expecting to charge at much faster speeds...

Of to London tomorrow night, so might have more choice of a charger on the way home on Thursday....
Could you not have charged overnight on a granny charger at your destination? That's what I did when I went north Wales Pwllheli way. Saved me charging and waiting.

That's what I did when I went north Wales Pwllheli way.
Just for next time, if you are in the area.
Did you know there is now four 7kw A/C Pod Point chargers in the Tesco’s car park in Portmadog ?.
That’s about 13 miles away from Pwllheli.
I was using one about 4 weeks ago, silver MG5 parked alongside our ZS EV.
Could be handy is you want some shopping etc.

Just for next time, if you are in the area.
Did you know there is now four 7kw A/C Pod Point chargers in the Tesco’s car park in Portmadog ?.
That’s about 13 miles away from Pwllheli.
I was using one about 4 weeks ago, silver MG5 parked alongside our ZS EV.
Could be handy is you want some shopping etc.
Ye i used the same one. Shame there's no super fast chargers in that area. Only ones are in Haven holiday camp. Other than that a couple in caernarfon that are unreliable.

I’m heading to Conwy in a few weeks - the rapid at Lidl at Llandudno Junction will be my go to venue.
Ye not quite as stoneage there when it comes to EV's. Shame we have to rely on supermarkets for EV chargers. Why aren't petrol stations doing more about EV charging.

Last edited:
I was waiting for someone to comment on that :) I was on an instavolt double station, and was quite prepared to go and move my car if someone turned up at the second station. As for charging to 100% I had a long drive the next day that was going to be pushing the range, I really wanted that extra 20% - as stated above my other stops were to 80% only
Obviously we have quite different philosophies. If my long journey wasn't until the following day then I'd be charging slowly to 100% and fully balancing the battery (which can only be done on AC). The only time I'd be using an expensive (and battery stressing) rapid charger is if I immediately needed to use the range. Obviously it's down to personal choice and convenience and I'm sure you weren't delaying anyone else so it's no big deal.

Obviously we have quite different philosophies. If my long journey wasn't until the following day then I'd be charging slowly to 100% and fully balancing the battery (which can only be done on AC). The only time I'd be using an expensive (and battery stressing) rapid charger is if I immediately needed to use the range. Obviously it's down to personal choice and convenience and I'm sure you weren't delaying anyone else so it's no big deal.
That was what I did the night before. When 100s of miles from home, and neither the hotel or any local carparks have slow chargers, there isn't much choice...

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom