• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Octopus fixed deal ends 2/3/22

BillyWhizz

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Just got this email from octopus looks like the flexible price may be the best don’t know which way to go ? What you think

So what does it all cost?
Your current Octopus Go prices
Peak unit rate: 12.93p / kWh
Off-peak unit rate: 5.00p / kWh
Standing charge: 25.00p / day
Estimated annual cost (electricity only): £524.24

Good to know: we've based your estimate on your annual usage of 4200 kWh and the average share of electricity used off-peak electricity by Go customers (33.00%)
Your new Octopus Go prices
Peak unit rate: 29.64p / kWh
Off-peak unit rate: 7.50p / kWh
Standing charge: 26.45p / day
Estimated annual cost (electricity only): £1,034.43
Flexible Octopus prices
Peak unit rate: 21.46p / kWh
Off-peak unit rate: 15.34p / kWh
Standing charge: 26.53p / day
Estimated annual cost (electricity only): £890.26
Love & power,
The Octopus Energy team

Flexible will be at the price cap. Which is due to increase in April. If predictions are anywhere near accurate, it could double the peak rate to 40p. 30/7.5 could be the better option to lock in at this point, but only hindsight is going to answer that one 🙁

Because you aren't locked in with Octopus, you could start with Go at the new rate and just see what happens in April. If Go remains favourable, stick with it, and if not, switch to flexible or go elsewhere.

It's sometimes worth phoning. British Gas were quoting rediculous prices on the website and email they sent me. I called and they had a few tariffs not available online which they offered...none were cheaper than the one I found on Scottish Power's site so I still left but is always worth a shot.

Makes me glad I fixed my rates for 2 years last September! Mind you, I'm going to have a shock when the tariff ends😭
I agree !.
Take it while it is there, because they will catch us ALL in the end !.
We in the U.K. are too reliant on gas to power our electricity power stations and the people supplying it from other countries.
We expect investors from other countries to spend money providing alternative means of energy production, without doing it ourselves.
The Japanese pulled out of a nuclear power station as did EDF from France a few years ago.
As an island, if you want to be in control of what you pay for your energy, you have to do it yourself.
Otherwise learn to pay what somebody else wants to charge you !.

We were once leaders in the field of nuclear power generation but somehow managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

I always felt that capturing wave and tidal power would be the way forward, but just now wind power generation seems to be the winning approach - Scotland produced 97.4% of energy used in 2020 - obviously not at the time it was necessarily needed so some was exported to rest of the UK and peaks satisfied by non-renewable. So, still need a good storage solution to balance peaks, whether physical (pumped hydro) or chemical (batteries).

What irritates me is when power isn't needed or too high winds necessitate the wind turbines being taken off line the buggers still get paid, and we're paying 25% on our power bills for the privilege! And when we really need them, when high pressure and freezing temperatures prevail , how much is generated then? Until we can find an alternative reliable source of power generation, the phasing out of gas/coal fired stations is an act of lunacy. While our country goes to the wall China, India and the good ol' USA continue to pollute the planet!

We in the U.K. are good at placing all our eggs in one basket.
I love the whole idea of wind generation and all it stands for, however we need a better balance / fallback plan I think.
We have been inviting other countries to set up a nuclear station for a number of years, but on all occasions, they have pulled out.
Nuclear is definitely not my preferred option, but neither is importing gas from other countries and lining their pockets.
You can’t have too many options !.
An even balance is what is required.
Something is drastically wrong, when we are buying in energy from other counties who obviously have a huge surplus, in order to satisfy both their own demands and ours at the same time surely ???.
First rule of living on an island 🏝 is to become as much self sufficient as you can, or pay what somebody else wants to charge you.
It’s not rocket 🚀 science, plain common sense in my book.
Arh ….. We are pretty much buggered there then 🤣.
A typical case of too much drinking 🥳 and not enough thinking 🤔.

Last edited:
Just got this email from octopus looks like the flexible price may be the best don’t know which way to go ? What you think

So what does it all cost?
Your current Octopus Go prices
Peak unit rate: 12.93p / kWh
Off-peak unit rate: 5.00p / kWh
Standing charge: 25.00p / day
Estimated annual cost (electricity only): £524.24

Good to know: we've based your estimate on your annual usage of 4200 kWh and the average share of electricity used off-peak electricity by Go customers (33.00%)
Your new Octopus Go prices
Peak unit rate: 29.64p / kWh
Off-peak unit rate: 7.50p / kWh
Standing charge: 26.45p / day
Estimated annual cost (electricity only): £1,034.43
Flexible Octopus prices
Peak unit rate: 21.46p / kWh
Off-peak unit rate: 15.34p / kWh
Standing charge: 26.53p / day
Estimated annual cost (electricity only): £890.26
Love & power,
The Octopus Energy team
Oh no I'm dreading mine

We got put on the Octopus flexible tariff when Avro energy went bust, Our daughter has been using our MG ZS for the last three weeks until her car is repaired (local garages are choc-a-bloc with work so she has to wait in line).
She's been charging it every night as she does a lot of miles commuting to work, We're retired & our usage was quite low but watching the smart meter cost of electricity being used is scary to say the least :eek:
I've already upped my monthly DD payments twice in the last three months & fear that isn't going to suffice over the course of this year. As my missus & I have the free concessionary travel pass we've been managing to get around OK but even when we get our car back I think I'll still be using public transport a lot more than usual to offset the electricity bills.:(

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom