Octopus Go Faster

weedavemac

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Anybody on here on Octopus Go Faster?

If so, can you say how you find it please? Did you get the slot you asked for? Is it reliable etc etc?

I have also looked into Octopus Agile and Octopus Go, but Go Faster seems to be the one that will suit me best.

Cheers,
Dave

Forgot to ask...if anyone knows of a cheaper tariff then please say. I am going to be doing approx 50,000 a year so looking for the best tariff to try and keep the costs down.

Hi Dave,

I have Go Faster.

When fairly straightforward, switched to Octopus, soon as the switch went, i emailed to go 'Go Faster'. Email returned with a selection of time slots, you choose the one that you want, and it is instant as soon as you agree to the t&c's.

So yes, did get the slot i wanted, and it is reliable, but you do need a smart charger that can be programmed, I have the EO mini Pro which works perfectly.

Also if you do switch, use this code on the website and we both get £50

share.octopus.energy/lotus-teal-364

I went for the earliest Go Faster tariff (starts at 8.30pm and ends at 1.30am) so I could also get some of my electrical appliances (dishwasher and washing machine) onto the cheap rate.

For my electrical power, I'm saving roughly £10 per month compared to my old tariff with EON.

Cheers

Bloggsy

I went for the earliest Go Faster tariff (starts at 8.30pm and ends at 1.30am) so I could also get some of my electrical appliances (dishwasher and washing machine) onto the cheap rate.

For my electrical power, I'm saving roughly £10 per month compared to my old tariff with EON.

Cheers

Bloggsy
good thinking

we have stayed with British gas Fixed price Aug 2022v2 until 31/08/2022, 13.146p per Kwh and 20.864p standing charge we also have solar panels so are charging through the day as we only do about 5000 miles a year 5000/3.5=1428.57 Kwh expected usage, 27 Kwh a week £3.61 a week or a bit less with our solar, also this tariff has gas at 1.995p per Kwh and 21.683p standing charge, we used 8209Kwh of gas last year so if we were paying the 4p rate some EV tariffs charge we would pay an extra £164.59p If I was you I would set up a spreadsheet with your last years usage and add expected usage from your motor and gas usage and compare a few tariffs you might be surprised how much the EV tariffs actually cost, again we don't do high mileage and use more electric at home through the day than our motor uses so our tariff might not work for every one. this doesn't take into account if you get free charging at work etc. Good luck

Last edited:
If I was you I would set up a spreadsheet with your last years usage and add expected usage from your motor and gas usage and compare a few tariffs you might be surprised how much the EV tariffs actually cost.
Yeah - we did that as well. at first glance it's easy to get blinded by the headline rate for EV charging, but you have to think of the rest of your energy costs too.

For us, it worked out going to Octopus Go, but when the car arrives and the switch processes I'll have to check the usage and the charging assumptions against the real world figures. We assumed pretty much all our charging will take place at home, so moving to o from our current Dual Fuel deal saves a couple of hundred pounds p.a. on car charging, but the daytime electric is more expensive, and the best gas only deal I could find was also more expensive than the dual-fuel tariff so that increased the energy costs for the house by about £100 p.a.

If I find I'm doing more charging away from home, then that'll push the balance the other way and we could end up going back to a dual-fuel deal. Luckily, I'm good at knocking up complex spreadsheets (and have some time to obsess about the details whilst I wait for the 71 plates to start and the MG5 to arrive...)
Spare 10mm spanner and spare cabinet key purchased for the 'essential glovebox kit' today!

we have stayed with British gas Fixed price Aug 2022v2 until 31/08/2022, 13.146p per Kwh and 20.864p standing charge we also have solar panels so are charging through the day as we only do about 5000 miles a year 5000/3.5=1428.57 Kwh expected usage, 27 Kwh a week £3.61 a week or a bit less with our solar, also this tariff has gas at 1.995p per Kwh and 21.683p standing charge, we used 8209Kwh of gas last year so if we were paying the 4p rate some EV tariffs charge we would pay an extra £164.59p If I was you I would set up a spreadsheet with your last years usage and add expected usage from your motor and gas usage and compare a few tariffs you might be surprised how much the EV tariffs actually cost, again we don't do high mileage and use more electric at home through the day than our motor uses so our tariff might not work for every one. this doesn't take into account if you get free charging at work etc. Good luck
I have been doing fag packet calculations but bearing in mind I do approx 50,000 miles a year and the likely majority of my charging will be overnight at home than an EV tariff is looking like a no brainer for me. 50,000 miles at 3.5 miles per kwh equates to over 14000 kwh per year for the car.

I have been doing fag packet calculations but bearing in mind I do approx 50,000 miles a year and the likely majority of my charging will be overnight at home than an EV tariff is looking like a no brainer for me. 50,000 miles at 3.5 miles per kwh equates to over 14000 kwh per year for the car.
Yeah, just as a rough guess I agree. I think you'll need the full 5 hours per night (that will give you 35Kwh) if you're doing 50000 miles a year. The Go Faster tariff is roughly 1/3 of the 'normal' rate so you should be saving about £1, 400 per year 😎 Not bad!

Cheers

Bloggsy

I switched to Go Faster. Very easy to do. I went for the 8:30 - 1:30 slot for 5.5p/kwh. I'm trying to offset my car charging cost by running appliances from 8:30 onwards (dishwasher, washing machine, tumble dryer).

I too have a referral code in my signature...

Yeah, just as a rough guess I agree. I think you'll need the full 5 hours per night (that will give you 35Kwh) if you're doing 50000 miles a year. The Go Faster tariff is roughly 1/3 of the 'normal' rate so you should be saving about £1, 400 per year 😎 Not bad!

Cheers

Bloggsy
And the saving versus diesel is astonishing - the main reason for the switch to an MG5

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom