Octopus Smart Meter Reading Visits?

Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Just had a chap claiming to be from Octopus saying he needed to read the meters - but we have smart meters that are accessible remotely and mean we don't need meter readings!

He claimed it was a legal requirement. I sent him on his way.

Anyone else had this?

I think this chap was genuine!

We have had smart meters for some years (and yes, they do work properly) but I know my utility supplier is required (by law, I believe) to have the meters read "independently" about once a year or so, presumably to check that "everything is working OK".

Because our meters are fitted into an external wall and so are accessible without anyone having to enter the house, I am not always aware of when the "meter reader" has visited, unless I happen to catch sight of his car in the street.

I think this chap was genuine!

We have had smart meters for some years (and yes, they do work properly) but I know my utility supplier is required (by law, I believe) to have the meters read "independently" about once a year or so, presumably to check that "everything is working OK".

Because our meters are fitted into an external wall and so are accessible without anyone having to enter the house, I am not always aware of when the "meter reader" has visited, unless I happen to catch sight of his car in the street.
Ah, ok, I wasn't aware of this. Ours are not accessible outside, hence the knock on the door.

I expect he'll come back at some point.

They are supposed to do a safety check once a year and the metering services are subcontracted so it probably won't be an Octopus employee.

I spoke to Octopus about it - at first they said they didn't do that, then they checked and said they did and they subcontract to a company called TNA (in my area).

Apparently they don't make appointments, which may account for his confusion when I suggested Octopus was welcome to make an appointment with me if they wanted to do something like this.

I guess he was driving by the area and trying to check as many as he could.

Seems a silly system though - if they know they need access, Octopus should make an appointment with me, not dispatch someone from a 3rd party on an unexpected door-to-door visit.

I've had the same in the past albeit coupled with the absurdity that the meter reader had not the first clue how to read the meter!

I had a guy called other day. No booking. However he was from a company on Octopus site so I let him in. Just took readings and off he went.

The energy companies send someone round every so often not to really read the meter but to check the meter is working and hasn't been tampered with. Which is probably why they don't make an appointment so you don't have time to remove the bypass giving you free power 😁

We had a chap come around wanting to read the smart meters last year. I showed him the electric smart meter which is10 feet up attached to the ceiling in the kitchen over the sink. We live in an old house over 100 years old. He said I ain't allowed to go up customers ladders & disappeared, I haven't had anyone come to read them since. :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
I turned someone away 3 times. Octopus email me informing that it was to read the meter and do safety checks. I enquired what safety checks and I would like a copy of the report.

Never heard back, and no-one called.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom