Off-peak battery installation

jamie07051975

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
We have our ZS LR Trophy on order and have a quote for an Ohme charger so we can go on the Octopus Intelligent tariff. I've done the sums and I want to get a home battery solution which would also charge during the off-peak rate so we can use the cheap rate during the day, minimising the amount of peak rate we use.

My only problem is that so far no-one will provide and install a battery without solar which I don't think will benefit us as much as a battery.

My wife will be out first thing in the morning and gets back mid evening as she commutes and I work from home.

Has anyone had any luck with a battery only provider/installer in the South Wales region?

Cheers

If you got a small solar array then there will be no VAT on the battery and possibly the EVSE too. If you went for the Myenergi kit you could do your hot water too.

We have our ZS LR Trophy on order and have a quote for an Ohme charger so we can go on the Octopus Intelligent tariff. I've done the sums and I want to get a home battery solution which would also charge during the off-peak rate so we can use the cheap rate during the day, minimising the amount of peak rate we use.

My only problem is that so far no-one will provide and install a battery without solar which I don't think will benefit us as much as a battery.

My wife will be out first thing in the morning and gets back mid evening as she commutes and I work from home.

Has anyone had any luck with a battery only provider/installer in the South Wales region?

Cheers
I’m in Abergavenny, so not a million miles away, and our local guys were happy to do this. We had a quote for battery only, and a PV system with battery. Not sure if they’ll travel that far mind as I know they are massively massively busy!!

In the end I decided to go with a PV system and battery which I’m glad, due to the recent increased cost of cheap rate electric.

PV fitting in December, battery arrives when it arrives due to stock issues - Made initial fact finding contact in Jan, proper contact about what we want in June, deposit paid in July - as I said, they are BUSY! 😂😂

Octopus Energy are partnered with a number of providers one of which is LUX Power. LUX have a scalable "Works with Agile" product for Solar & Storage solutions, but also a configuration designed to be Battery Storage Only without any Solar. This configuration they call LUX Power "Squirrel". Worth checking it out as it allows you to exploit Time of Use off peak tariffs to dynamically so chase down cheapest time to charge the battery. User interface is very good as I remember and can use various vender's batteries including the very popular Polytech battery packs.

We have just signed up with First4Solar for Battery only.
9.5kw Givenergy set up which works with Octopus agile etc.

They were also by far the cheapest out there and came with great recommendations online.

Have a look at EVM's channel, he covers battery and whether its worthwhile etc.
He also recommends First4Solar as they fitted his ages ago and he would still choose the GivEnergy set up.

We made our minds up to signing up with them, as we had an identical equipment quote from another company which was obscene, so we thought we'd just go for it before the prices go up due to massive demand.

First4Solar was £5995 fitted including VAT
9.5kw Battery and 3kw AC Coupler

Nationwide Solar was quoting £13,500 for the same set up !!!

There are plenty of absolute cowboys out there doing solar / battery quotes at the minute.
Trust me I've had quite a few this week, they are totally cashing in.

Only downside with First4Solar is they cant fit us in until April next year as they are fully booked up, as are most installers.
Thankfully our Go tariff is valid until May - 5p and 13.9p still ;)

The other quote did say they could fit in 4-6 weeks.... but not at a 7.5 grand premium. :mad:

The battery Kit for GIVENERGY includes the 9.5 Givenergy Battery which is an upright solution (Similar to the one below), fitting flush to the wall and has all the Smart Features and an App to monitor etc.

Giv 2.jpg

and includes the 3kW AC Coupler.

Far better than some of the stackable solutions, for us takes up less space in the garage.

You can buy the full set up online for around £4500-£5000 (if you can find one),
So First4Solar is charging a grand to fit the kit,
the other is charging 9 grand ! :mad::mad:
this is for around half a day installation.

I'm not sure if First4Solar have distance restrictions on their installs as they are based in Leeds, W. Yorkshire
Got to be worth a phone call though.
Try speaking to Claire Horler at First4Solar, mention my name as she did my quote and took my deposit this week.
If you are looking for a similar set up.

my name is
Dean Jewson
Her number is
01924 971429

Good Luck (y)

Attachments

• Giv.jpg
    Giv.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

They were also by far the cheapest out there and came with great recommendations online.

He also recommends First4Solar as they fitted his ages ago and he would still choose the GivEnergy set up.

We made our minds up to signing up with them, as we had an identical equipment quote from another company which was obscene, so we thought we'd just go for it before the prices go up due to massive demand.

There are plenty of absolute cowboys out there doing solar / battery quotes at the minute.

Only downside with First4Solar is they cant fit us in until April next year as they are fully booked up, as are most installers.

The other quote did say they could fit in 4-6 weeks.... but not at a 7.5 grand premium. :mad:

The battery Kit for GIVENERGY includes the 9.5 Givenergy Battery which is an upright solution (Similar to the one below), fitting flush to the wall and has all the Smart Features and an App to monitor etc.

View attachment 12036

Far better than some of the stackable solutions, for us takes up less space in the garage.

You can buy the full set up online for around £4500-£5000 (if you can find one),

I'm not sure if First4Solar have distance restrictions on their installs as they are based in Leeds, W. Yorkshire
Try speaking to Claire Horler at First4Solar, mention my name as she did my quote and took my deposit this week.

my name is
Dean Jewson
Her number is
01924 971429

Good Luck (y)

Thanks for the reply!

I spoke to First4Solar last week, they wouldn't install batteries without solar - quoted me £12.5K+VAT for the GivEnergy 9.5 with the 5kWh inverter and Jink panels. Most installers I have had quotes for have said the same, they're just cashing in by up-selling and won't entertain batteries only.

We won't make use of solar as the car will never be charging during the day so was a waste of cash.

My biggest issue was the inverter in that if we're got multiple loads I don't think it would handle it and use the grid for anything over 3kWh, hence I was going for the 5kWh inverter (something to aware of).

I think I am going to go down the Pylontech route as they are easily upgradable and is it will be in the loft and I don't mind the stacking.

Just trying to finalise the inverter I am going to get and find an electrician to install it!

You can use the solar to charge up a house battery then dump it in the car.
Yep. But the cost/ratio just doesn't work out for me and I won't be able to afford the batteries needed to store solar to house batteries and then charge a car from them. Would need a lot of storage to do that.

If the car was charging in the day then solar would probably work but the car will be in work with my wife all day.

Thanks for the reply!

I spoke to First4Solar last week, they wouldn't install batteries without solar - quoted me £12.5K+VAT for the GivEnergy 9.5 with the 5kWh inverter and Jink panels. Most installers I have had quotes for have said the same, they're just cashing in by up-selling and won't entertain batteries only.

We won't make use of solar as the car will never be charging during the day so was a waste of cash.

My biggest issue was the inverter in that if we're got multiple loads I don't think it would handle it and use the grid for anything over 3kWh, hence I was going for the 5kWh inverter (something to aware of).

I think I am going to go down the Pylontech route as they are easily upgradable and is it will be in the loft and I don't mind the stacking.

Just trying to finalise the inverter I am going to get and find an electrician to install it!
That's proper weird
No issues at all getting just batteries for us.
She did do us a quote for solar also, but did 2 battery quotes too.
I have my contract in hand too for just battery/coupler installation.
Screenshot_20221021_214227.jpg

View attachment 12036

my name is
Dean Jewson
Her number is
01924 971429

Good Luck (y)

I've gone with First for Solar but after ordering in March 2022 before the VAT reduction when their order book went made and lead times became elastic so I'm still waiting on the installation of
12 x 400-watt PV Panels = 4.8 kW
6 x Optimisers
7.8 kWh Fox ESS (Barrteryies and 3 kW Inverter)

I have my latest date for the instal pushed back again to November 11th. Don't get me wrong First4Solar seems very thoro with their process and competitively priced, but what's the point of designing a system to a few percentage points more effective if because of small items availabilities the whole system is delayed and I lose an entire summer's Solar Generation and Storage. I doubt I'll be living in this house in 9 to 10 years time so losing an entire summer of PV is a 10 to 15% loss on the benefit to me of the investment. A simpler Solar PV with an inverter plus a separate battery and inverter may have lost a few % but could have been installed and working at the beginning of summer!

You can use the solar to charge up a house battery then dump it in the car.
Abismal efficiency though. PV to charge House Battery, House Battery discharge via an inverter to 230AC to DC Car Battery. There are Roundtrip losses into and out of the House Battery and unless your inverter can deliver 6-7 kW for a sustained period (most home battery storage solutions other than Tesla can't) your Car charger won't operate as efficiently as it should.

Cheers
I've had an Ohme Home Pro and a ZS Trophy Connect since January. At the time of installation the Ohme would not talk to the ZS. MG software configuration issues (there's a first!). I've not explored further as the car can take care of charger on/off and battery charge levels. The Ohme operating as a dumb charger is sufficient.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom