Older Polar Home Chargers - can they be smart?

kierend

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
hi everyone.

I am on my 2nd electric car, had a Zoe, Now an MG5.
We had a charger at home provided over 5 years ago and it works fine, Polar branded like this one
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/qUIAAOSw75thIoir/s-l1600.jpg

I repaired it a while ago as I had lost the key to switch it on (dont worry i'm qualified engineer etc quite safe)

My question is, when I opened it, it looked to me like it had a SIM card on the circuit board, Does anyone know if these units can give any information out over SMS or a smart app, or is the card just for reporting back to Polar / Chargemaster, or a function that was never switched on?

I was looking at replacing it so I could set up a timer for the car to charge at preset times, but if I could fine a way to control this one I wouldnt needed to spend £500, which would be great

hi everyone.

I am on my 2nd electric car, had a Zoe, Now an MG5.
We had a charger at home provided over 5 years ago and it works fine, Polar branded like this one
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/qUIAAOSw75thIoir/s-l1600.jpg

I repaired it a while ago as I had lost the key to switch it on (dont worry i'm qualified engineer etc quite safe)

My question is, when I opened it, it looked to me like it had a SIM card on the circuit board, Does anyone know if these units can give any information out over SMS or a smart app, or is the card just for reporting back to Polar / Chargemaster, or a function that was never switched on?

I was looking at replacing it so I could set up a timer for the car to charge at preset times, but if I could fine a way to control this one I wouldnt needed to spend £500, which would be great
Fit a Wi-Fi relay inside the unit then you can control the wall box from a free to download App on your phone.
A cheap fix for the older type dumb wall boxes.
I have a Sonoff relay in my 5 year old Rolec unit, I think it was about £15 from EBay.
Shelly make a very similar device that other owners have used, about the same price.

We had a polar charger in 2014 that had cellular network, as you could log on and see the charging history. Cant for the life of me remember if you could start delay charging??

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom