One of the less mentioned benefits of EV uptake ?

maskull

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I was walking in town with my wife in town today and, even though we were side by side , we were literally having to shout at each other to be heard because of the traffic noise . I long for the day when this noise pollution is no more or considerably reduced . I'm sick to death of lying in bed at night and hearing what seems like an F1 race is outside my house by mostly illegal cars.
Wouldn't it be nice to actually have time to sit and think in silence in the future ? ( Daily Fail readers may not apply )

Last edited:
I drove my MG4 all the way from Scotland to Brighton in August, and stayed with friends who live in Portslade, in a house on a corner where the side of the garden is alongside a very busy dual carriageway, right by a set of traffic lights. The noise is atrocious, and my friends commented that they seldom sit out in their (very nice) garden because of this.

I think it was only then that this occurred to me, and I said to them that when the day finally comes that most cars on that road are EVs, they'll get their garden back.

I don't live near a dual carriageway , I'm near a traffic lights . The noise from some of the cars is unbelievable when stationary more so when they pull off . I sometimes have a little satisfaction when I pull off silently and leave them in my dust and their fumes ...a bit more difficult now with the 20 mph speed limit ;)

On the flip side ,apologies, we walk the dogs on small country lanes with blind corners, we can normally hear diesel cars approaching and can prepare accordingly, petrol cars have got quieter and they sometimes catch us out , EVs and hybrids have only a slight whine and tyre noise and if there,s a wind blowing in the trees , even the dogs have trouble hearing them approach. On mine ,we have tried but found no discernible artificial noises being emitted at low speeds. But in general apart from this we are in agreement with you.

Well, there is someone driving these cars, who presumably has no interest in running you down!

I have noticed that while sheep used to spring to their feet and career all over the place when hearing me approach, including careering into the road right in front of my wheels, now all I get is a slightly bored stare and they go right on chewing the cud as they lie on the verge.

On the flip side ,apologies, we walk the dogs on small country lanes with blind corners, we can normally hear diesel cars approaching and can prepare accordingly, petrol cars have got quieter and they sometimes catch us out , EVs and hybrids have only a slight whine and tyre noise and if there,s a wind blowing in the trees , even the dogs have trouble hearing them approach. On mine ,we have tried but found no discernible artificial noises being emitted at low speeds. But in general apart from this we are in agreement with you.
That is the downside, agreed. Pedestrians will have to be more aware of their surroundings. Animals are less likely to be spooked by EVs though. The built in safety of EVs give you warnings of obstacles and generally EV drivers are a more considerate bunch.

That is the downside, agreed. Pedestrians will have to be more aware of their surroundings. Animals are less likely to be spooked by EVs though. The built in safety of EVs give you warnings of obstacles and generally EV drivers are a more considerate bunch.
90% of humans ( exaggerated figure ) walk around wearing ear buds, and animals in general are less spooked when given forewarning , some one coming silently around the corner in a cyber truck is enough to give anyone the heeby jeebies, and as more ICE drivers join the fold the percentage of considerate drivers will diminish to lower levels , the bad ones giving the rest of us a bad name. Evs are newer cars and of course have "improved" detection systems , but thats pretty much the same for all newer cars and of course they need to have ,line of sight, to work. I agree that the actual passing of animals will be better . Maybe we should all have Ice cream jingles fitted and if we fit fridges to the 12v plug might even make a small profit.:)

90% of humans ( exaggerated figure ) walk around wearing ear buds
Or are more intent on the phone screen . I remember a guy a few years back standing at a road junction headphones on glued to his screen , I rolled up behind him in my hybrid ( in EV mode at the time ) he wasn't aware of my car. I sounded my horn a few times , still no response .
Natural selection came to mind ;)

I am not convinced mine even makes the statutory low speed pedestrian warning sound.

Bear in mind a lot of the noise can be the road surface itself when talking about fast running roads. Where we used to live the A12 was about 75M away and as a concrete was very noisy. They relaid it with new tarmac and the difference was immense.

Not quite as quiet as the 1st lockdown unfortunately:cool:

I was walking in town with my wife in town today and, even though we were side by side , we were literally having to shout at each other to be heard because of the traffic noise . I long for the day when this noise pollution is no more or considerably reduced . I'm sick to death of lying in bed at night and hearing what seems like an F1 race is outside my house by mostly illegal cars.
Wouldn't it be nice to actually have time to sit and think in silence in the future ? ( Daily Fail readers may not apply )

^^^This^^^ We have the same Jonny speed pants brigade in uninsured, untaxed cars & motorbikes tear ar$ing around into the early hours of the morning on a almost nightly basis. Neighbours & myself have reported them on the police 101 number numerous occasions but nothings been done about it yet, It's bedlam at times.
As for the noise & smell of town centre traffic I agree, I use the train regular & walking from the station alongside bumper to bumper traffic you can taste the traffic fumes on the back of your throat.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom