OVO fix end. Rolec charger. Ev.energy app. Switch to?

Dekkerb

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi everyone
MG5SR owner with cheap two year OVO fix which ends next month. Struggling to find a rate worthwhile with the above combo of a Rolec Charger and EV.energy app. Would love to get on a cheap overnight tariff for charging plus washing machine dishwasher. Octopus looks appealing if I can get in. Martin Lewis had talked about getting on their variable tariff first then moving. Anyone done this or could suggest a favourable company/tariff please. Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks for your help.

Hi everyone
MG5SR owner with cheap two year OVO fix which ends next month. Struggling to find a rate worthwhile with the above combo of a Rolec Charger and EV.energy app. Would love to get on a cheap overnight tariff for charging plus washing machine dishwasher. Octopus looks appealing if I can get in. Martin Lewis had talked about getting on their variable tariff first then moving. Anyone done this or could suggest a favourable company/tariff please. Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks for your help.
There are a couple of current threads on this very subject. I think the concencus is that it relies heavily on your usage pattern. What is cheap for one person is not neccessarily cheap for another.

My advice for what it's worth, see which gives you the longest off peak period, not neccessarily the cheapest kWh and find your annual usage from your last years bill as a guide.

Hi everyone
I did British Gas. 30.732p peak. 9.4p off peak (midnight till 5.00 am). Standing charge 9.27p. Fixed until the end of Sept 2024. No exit fees.

I run the dishwasher ( no timer so I set it going manually at midnight), hot tub ( used in summer months only) and charge the car in these hours. We always have fans going in the bedrooms overnight also. But fighting a losing battle to get the other half to switch washing machine ( it even has a quiet night setting) and tumble drier ( in garage and only occasional used) to run in off peak hours. Both have timers!

No specific chargpoint is needed but smets 2 smart meter is required. I already had a BG one fitted last year when still on an earlier BG fix that ended on July 31st this year.

Hi everyone
When I moved to Octopus I was put on the variable tariff until they could read the meter then switched to Go. When that finished I switched to Intelligent Octopus as I had an Ohme EVSE. My gas is on the tracker tariff currently just over 4p.

Thanks for all the very helpful and detailed replies. Really appreciated. Will check out the threads mentioned.

EV Energy App mostly works with Octopus, it won't work with intelligent, but it does usually work with Agile/GO.

I have had a couple of instances where it didn't have the correct rates for Agile for some reason, presumably the data download failed.

When I moved to Octopus I was put on the variable tariff until they could read the meter then switched to Go. When that finished I switched to Intelligent Octopus as I had an Ohme EVSE. My gas is on the tracker tariff currently just over 4p.
Hi @Jomarkh - How does your Octopus Signature link work - I'm on the Electroverse app already <?> But I am actively looking at moving my Electrical Supplier from EDF ...

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom