P(ark)

iainfm

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi,

In anticipation of getting my MG5 I was looking for a bit of advice on parking. My previous diseasal automatic had P for Park on the gear selector, which locked the transmission somehow - so I didn't usually bother with the handbrake (electronic) unless I was on an incline.

Is it a similar story on an EV? Or is the handbrake automatic when you power-down (it wasn't in the last car, but it did release automatically if it was on).

Thanks in advance,
Iain

When you press the gear selector to pop the car in to Park - it looks like it switches the electronic handbrake on - as pretty certain the light comes on.

When you press P it disengages the drive and applies the electronic parking brake (EPB). It also does this if you power off the vehicle so no need to for multiple steps once you get home.

The automatic release of the EPB makes it quiet useful if stopping for long enough to want to take your foot off the brake - just apply the EPB and leave it in drive, then as soon as you press the accelerator, it releases an pulls away. I find autohold too slow to respond and it keeps the brake lights on.

There are two park buttons.
One shows a green light in the dash and comes on every time you stop.
The other is red and you put this on when you are stopped.
Both keep you in D or R if you press the P you will need to then reselect R or D

There are two park buttons.
One shows a green light in the dash and comes on every time you stop.
The other is red and you put this on when you are stopped.
Both keep you in D or R if you press the P you will need to then reselect R or D
Actually, there are three if you count the Auto-hold, EPB and Park. But other than that, what have MG ever done for parking.... (Sorry. It was either that or a Spanish Inquisition gag...)

So. The big knob in the middle is effectively your gear selector like your previous car. Twist for reverse, drive and neutral and press for park. The car isn't going anywhere in park unless you put it back into a gear with that knob. putting the car back into 'off' with the stop/start button will also automatically put the car back into P.
When in park, The P lights up on the knob, along with a P on the dash where it shows the current gear (bottom middle) and a red (P) near the top left to show that the Electronic Park Brake has also engaged.

Behind that you have the EPB (Electronic Park Brake) switch (a rocker that goes up or down.) Up to engage, down (with the brake pressed) to disengage (yeah, you probably already knew that!). This is not park though. If you press the accelerator (or did we decide on Power Demand Pedal?!) then the EPB will automatically disengage and off you go. A red (P) will show on the dash when this is engaged.

Finally, there is the Auto hold button behind the EPB switch. Press to turn on, press again to turn off. When this is on, the car detects when you brake to a stop. Assuming that you have the brake pressed far enough to hold the car still, it automatically hold the brake pedal down for you, and show a green (P) on the dash. If you're there for a while, it'll engage the EPB and release the brake pedal and the (P) will change to red. Either way, you just press the accelerator pedal and it'll release whichever brake is currently applied and go on it's way...

Note that Hill Hold is active even when Auto Hold is off. Pretty similar though, in that if you stop on a hill it'll automatically hold the brake on (but only for a couple of seconds) whilst you move your foot from the brake to the accelerator.

*some features model dependent

Great, thanks very much for those replies! All sounds perfectly straightforward - and nice and simple. The Mrs should like it when the car arrives. She struggles a bit with the manual h/b on her car. It needs quite a heave before it actually does anything!

Actually, there are three if you count the Auto-hold, EPB and Park. But other than that, what have MG ever done for parking.... (Sorry. It was either that or a Spanish Inquisition gag...)

So. The big knob in the middle is effectively your gear selector like your previous car. Twist for reverse, drive and neutral and press for park. The car isn't going anywhere in park unless you put it back into a gear with that knob. putting the car back into 'off' with the stop/start button will also automatically put the car back into P.
When in park, The P lights up on the knob, along with a P on the dash where it shows the current gear (bottom middle) and a red (P) near the top left to show that the Electronic Park Brake has also engaged.

Behind that you have the EPB (Electronic Park Brake) switch (a rocker that goes up or down.) Up to engage, down (with the brake pressed) to disengage (yeah, you probably already knew that!). This is not park though. If you press the accelerator (or did we decide on Power Demand Pedal?!) then the EPB will automatically disengage and off you go. A red (P) will show on the dash when this is engaged.

Finally, there is the Auto hold button behind the EPB switch. Press to turn on, press again to turn off. When this is on, the car detects when you brake to a stop. Assuming that you have the brake pressed far enough to hold the car still, it automatically hold the brake pedal down for you, and show a green (P) on the dash. If you're there for a while, it'll engage the EPB and release the brake pedal and the (P) will change to red. Either way, you just press the accelerator pedal and it'll release whichever brake is currently applied and go on it's way...

Note that Hill Hold is active even when Auto Hold is off. Pretty similar though, in that if you stop on a hill it'll automatically hold the brake on (but only for a couple of seconds) whilst you move your foot from the brake to the accelerator.

*some features model dependent
You get my vote for re-writing the MG manual :) This is the clearest explanation of the parking brake functions I've seen, cheers.

You get my vote for re-writing the MG manual :) This is the clearest explanation of the parking brake functions I've seen, cheers.
It NEVER ceases to amaze me how, despite the billions car manufacturers spend developing a new vehicle, and irrespective of the marque, they spend about 50p translating the manual from its original language to the one where the car is being sold :p

1631622514591.png

Never looked hopefully disc's.
Just checked disc's all round 😄

I wondered if the parking brake was drum in disc too ?

It NEVER ceases to amaze me how, despite the billions car manufacturers spend developing a new vehicle, and irrespective of the marque, they spend about 50p translating the manual from its original language to the one where the car is being sold :p
But as this group has shown time and time again, very few people actually rtfm.... :D

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom