Phantom or Justified Braking?

Alb

Solutions
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I recorded this on my dash camera today:

I'm assuming the Tesla itself initiated the emergency braking manoeuvre rather than the driver but I'm wondering whether that very small deviation from the lorry actually justified the reaction?
Lane 3 was clear so the driver could have moved to the right (and indeed did by a small amount after the event).
If you were that driver, would you have wanted your car to react in that way? My answer would be "definitely not" but it would be interesting to hear other opinions.

Certainly not and if someone was driving a bit closer to the Tesla I'm sure they wouldn't have expected it either 🙄

I would've braked too, it was looking like that lorry was wondering a bit. Lane 3 might've been clear but in situations like that, a driver (not the car) doesn't react by looking in the mirrors, you tend to brake (speaking as a car driver and motorcyclist - on two wheels this stuff happens on almost every journey!).

Pretty much that. I suspect driver braking not trusting the hgv to stay in his lane.

I would assume computer would have changed lanes and maintained speed to clear the hazard, not slow down to get behind it should it all go sideways. Several tesla collision avoidance videos I've seen have the vehicle rapidly changing lanes and accelerating away from danger. Human gut reaction is to hit the brakes.

One of the most frustrating things of my Leaf was as you say phantom braking. This happened many times in the 18 months I had it and I raised it as a concern with Nissan direct. Searching on line I found it to be known issue with court cases in America over it. I did everything asked of me to resolve it and eventually they asked if I could send dashcam video of it happening. The last straw was me trying to submit a video as asked only to have their server reject. I have better things to do with my time than to try and solve their problems.

So this is why I bought the MG. With the trade in value of the car I could buy new and the only issue with the MG is it beeping at me intermittently when I approach a slower car. I wish it would detect that the throttle is off and brake is already being applied so I am in control to slow down. Even then I don't really have an issue, I know what is happening but the OH is in panic mode!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom