Podpoint taking £30

mj224

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I recently did a rapid charge at Tesco using the Podpoint charger. The cost was £4.75 or so, using my Visa Debit card.

I now see that Podpoint are taking £30 from my bank as well.

Is this just the holding charge, and will be refunded or released in time?

Stuff like this isn't on, is it? Why do they do it? On the forum I'm sure I read another firm takes something like £64. What happens if taking that money incurs charges at the bank, e.g. going overdrawn? If they stick it back in straight away I guess there's no problem but from what you've said that doesn't sound like the case. This type of thing should be made illegal - you should expect to pay for what you use, not have another type of fee deducted and then refunded.

Yes, with modern day computers and internet technology, there is no significant reason not to process everything virtually on the spot...

Yes the £67 snaffoo is Ionity, and as the first connection failed, they took it twice...sods...

Got it back after 10 days tho'''

Stuff like this isn't on, is it? Why do they do it? On the forum I'm sure I read another firm takes something like £64. What happens if taking that money incurs charges at the bank, e.g. going overdrawn? If they stick it back in straight away I guess there's no problem but from what you've said that doesn't sound like the case. This type of thing should be made illegal - you should expect to pay for what you use, not have another type of fee deducted and then refunded.
Why can’t it be the same as petrol where they only take £1

Yes, with modern day computers and internet technology, there is no significant reason not to process everything virtually on the spot...

Yes the £67 snaffoo is Ionity, and as the first connection failed, they took it twice...sods...

Got it back after 10 days tho'''

I'd be jumping if I had to wait 10 days for £134 to go back into my account! :mad:

Yea, my "jumping" takes the form of never using them again, unless desperate...

To be fair, if I had used my Shell RFIS, or perhaps even the Octopus RFID, I don't think they take the sniffoo (£67)

Yea, my "jumping" takes the form of never using them again, unless desperate...

To be fair, if I had used my Shell RFIS, or perhaps even the Octopus RFID, I don't think they take the sniffoo (£67)
Octopus RFID card doesn't take any money or hold any money. They just add the correct amount onto the electricity bill the next day

Why can’t it be the same as petrol where they only take £1
Tight fisted companies, who don't want to give someone nearly free electricity if there's an issue.

Octopus RFID card doesn't take any money or hold any money. They just add the correct amount onto the electricity bill the next day

Tight fisted companies, who don't want to give someone nearly free electricity if there's an issue.
I’ve just applied for my RFID card thanks for the informatio. 👍

Yeh I had the same issue at my local Tesco podpoint taking £30 and it being my first using their chargers I had no idea it did this (the screen on the pump was quite low down and in direct sunlight so hard to read ) it took over a week and 2/3 phone calls before I got the £30 back,
A day or so later I used an instavolt one and they took £5 for a £3.50 amount 10 kw I was just trying it out at that time having only just got my car but I had the £1.50 back the day after
Just on another note was just in the middle of planning a new route when I came across this thread and today instavolt or now showing the costs are now £0.40 per kw not sure when it went up
Les

I’ve just applied for my RFID card thanks for the informatio. 👍
Me too! (y)
Yeh I had the same issue at my local Tesco podpoint taking £30 and it being my first using their chargers I had no idea it did this (the screen on the pump was quite low down and in direct sunlight so hard to read ) it took over a week and 2/3 phone calls before I got the £30 back,
A day or so later I used an instavolt one and they took £5 for a £3.50 amount 10 kw I was just trying it out at that time having only just got my car but I had the £1.50 back the day after
Just on another note was just in the middle of planning a new route when I came across this thread and today instavolt or now showing the costs are now £0.40 per kw not sure when it went up
Les
InstaVolt price rise is due to VAT now being charged at full 20% instead of 5%

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom