Privacy review electric vehicles : MG

mepa

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Marvel R
There is a new privacy ( read : not security) report about electric cars.

https://foundation.mozilla.org/en/p...t-category-we-have-ever-reviewed-for-privacy/

Too bad they did not review MG.
Any educated answer from MG regarding these aspects?

So far I only find Data Protection Notice for our electric cars - Recharge yourself
but i do not have Ismart, have no account, do not use "nav" or Amazon, but I do not know what is being sent over LTE

Eg : Connecting bluetooth and syncing address book, what is sent to SAIC ? Location data? SOC? How often? How long stored? I do not recall signing anything.

SAIC as with most manufacturers will have access to alot of the info on your phone, if not over the air it will all be in the cars harddrive. There was a documentary a year or two back that showed even if you decline to upload your address book to the car, it dumps it onto the hard drive of the car in the background anyway.
Everytime you connect via USB it has access (even charging) the only no access way to charge is a cigarette lighter charger or wireless

Do we really think that our data is an issue using our Chinese cars! Temu is more of an issue. We all just need to accept that within 10 years the world leading power will be China and not the USA.

If in any doubt what so every read ‘Harbinger or Return of the Gods’ by Jonathan Cahn.

Do we really think that our data is an issue using our Chinese cars! Temu is more of an issue. We all just need to accept that within 10 years the world leading power will be China and not the USA.

If in any doubt what so every read ‘Harbinger or Return of the Gods’ by Jonathan Cahn.
It wasn't a Chinese car they highlighted in the documentary, it was an Audi I'm sure.
It was more highlighting the fact that data isn't as secure as you think in your car, rather than any state lead data grab

Ok, well so we think selling private data to other parties is ok?

Data minimization should be leading principle, of course I understand that any car maker wants to train/improve ML models based on driving characteristics. ( yes, and calculate correlation location, power usage, steering dynamics, brake behaviour, etc etc.)

Now my question is : has anyone ever assess the data stream by using a man in the middle proxy / LTE spoofing or any other means like using ?
(only for brave people)

Please note I am not encouraging that anyone kills him or herself, brick the car, voids warranty or whatever by messing with the car. I only would like to know if someone is working on that direction.

Ok, well so we think selling private data to other parties is ok?

Data minimization should be leading principle, of course I understand that any car maker wants to train/improve ML models based on driving characteristics. ( yes, and calculate correlation location, power usage, steering dynamics, brake behaviour, etc etc.)

Now my question is : has anyone ever assess the data stream by using a man in the middle proxy / LTE spoofing or any other means like using ?
(only for brave people)

Please note I am not encouraging that anyone kills him or herself, brick the car, voids warranty or whatever by messing with the car. I only would like to know if someone is working on that direction.

Not got a clue, but you seem to have a bit of knowledge so are you not up for giving it a go

Car manufacturers only need look at the following to find out about a person:
What clothes they like to wear - Instagram.
What stupid dance they're up to this week - tiktok.
What they had for tea, and their entire family structure- Facebook
What they do for a job - linkedin

For your movements - let Google and apple worry about that.

I read this too, being concerned for my privacy. I guess I'm OK to a degree as I don't use any of those social media site @m4rmite! Also, you can buy a power only USB dongle that will allow you to plug into a USB part so that only power is passed through, there is no data capability.

It is a concern, these companies hoover up as much data as they think they can get away with and regulators seem to be very slow to react, if at all.

James Randi, the famous psychic debunker, stunned an audience once by knowing everything about some of the people there and claiming to be in contact with their deceased loved ones.
He then had his accomplice stand up in the audience, who was a student he had paid to find out about some people who were on the audience list. She told them that she had found all the information on social media and the internet. She was horrified at how easy it was.

SAIC as with most manufacturers will have access to alot of the info on your phone, if not over the air it will all be in the cars harddrive. There was a documentary a year or two back that showed even if you decline to upload your address book to the car, it dumps it onto the hard drive of the car in the background anyway.
Everytime you connect via USB it has access (even charging) the only no access way to charge is a cigarette lighter charger or wireless
Just buy a power only USB cable, not all USB cables can carry data.

Yes absolutely, not bothered either way to be fair.

Just highlighting that the minute you connect your phone either by cable or wireless that access is then complete and the data dump can take place.

Really can't remember the name of the documentary but it was an eye opener

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom