Promising Australian EV sales data , but where’s the MGZSEV???

TassiedEVil

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Some promising Australian EV sales data, but unfortunately the lack of Tesla figures and the omission of models that have an ICE equivalent model - such as MGZS EV and Kona - are causing problems. A great pity considering how much this could swing sufficient support for infrastructure.

FCAI membership is dominated by legacy auto with no genuine interest in progressing EVs so it's a shame that this peak body's data is the best we have. Their own inability to split VFACTS sales data by power source is a farce and underscores their lack of motivation.

Tesla isn't a member incidentally.

Unfortunately registration data isn't available in a timely fashion - eg current detailed info for Qld Transport registrations is only accurate to April 2021 and there's no conformity across states - but if these agencies could be encouraged to tighten up the reporting cycle we would have a far better national picture based on year on year growth, right down to the regional level for planning purposes.

On November 22, SAIC MG officially announced that MG sales in Australia are booming. Data show that MG sold 3,136 cars in Australia in October, up 86.7% year on year; On the whole, FROM January to October, MG sold 32,014 cars in Australia, with a year-on-year growth of 183.1%, ranking among the top ten Australian auto companies

FCAI membership is dominated by legacy auto with no genuine interest in progressing EVs so it's a shame that this peak body's data is the best we have. Their own inability to split VFACTS sales data by power source is a farce and underscores their lack of motivation.

Tesla isn't a member incidentally.

Unfortunately registration data isn't available in a timely fashion - eg current detailed info for Qld Transport registrations is only accurate to April 2021 and there's no conformity across states - but if these agencies could be encouraged to tighten up the reporting cycle we would have a far better national picture based on year on year growth, right down to the regional level for planning purposes.
Fascinating- I didn’t know that. But then again, I have never heard of them - like Tesla, I’m not a member. And I feel the use of the term ‘peak body’ is a tad generous!

I find the lack of coordinated and current registration data peculiar and lazy. Anyone would think they are still operating out of filing cabinets. Begs the question - what is the purpose of the registration data - well, apart from the obvious government revenue of course. And considering all the other data ‘capture’ that is undertaken in all aspects of our lives, especially in government departments, efficient utilisation of this potential data bonanza does not seem to be a priority. What a waste of a public resource! My inner sceptic wonders if they - that is , those in charge of under administrating this unending revenue stream - prefer this?
Conspiracies theories anyone??:unsure::unsure:

Australia's top selling electric cars in 2021

MG ZS: 1,388 sales

PORSCHE TAYCAN: 531 sales

HYUNDAI KONA: 505 sales

NISSAN LEAF: 367 sales

MERCEDES-BENZ EQA: 367 sales

HYUNDAI IONIQ: 339 sales

MERCEDES-BENZ EQC: 298 sales

MINI: 291 sales

KIA NIRO: 217 sales

VOLVO XC40: 207 sales

HYUNDAI IONIQ 5: 172 sales

AUDI E-TRON: 108 sales

BMW i3: 67 sales

MAZDA MX-30: 63 sales

BMW X3: 62 sales

RENAULT KANGOO: 45 sales

JAGUAR I-PACE: 44 sales

LEXUS UX: 43 sales

BMW iX: 35 sales

Source: Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries sales data for 2021. Tesla does not provide their sales figures

Source: Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries sales data for 2021. Tesla does not provide their sales figures
Again, it comes back to government not being truly interested since all these cars get road registered when sold, and all that's held at a state level.

You measure what matters (to you).

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom