Public Charger Filter by tethered / untethered category?

tkmaxx5

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi All

Some of you may have seen I had a bit of a blooper trying to charge at local supermarket - looks like I had a dodgy charging post at Aldi (one of those things!) but wanted to check my Type 2 cable on a couple more chargers just to double check no issues with it. Does anyone know if any of the charge map platforms (ZapMap etc) have the option to search specifically by tethered / untethered chargers? I'm assuming most of the AC chargers 22kw and below are untethered but not sure this is always the case?

We head off to deepest Brittany soon and many of the local chargers are untethered so want to make double sure my cable is ok before we head off!!

Thanks in advance 🙏

All DC Rapid chargers are tethered. I haven't noticed many (if any) AC up to 22kW tethered although that's not to say they aren't out there.
Simple rule keep a cable in the car and you can't go wrong.

All DC Rapid chargers are tethered. I haven't noticed many (if any) AC up to 22kW tethered although that's not to say they aren't out there.
Simple rule keep a cable in the car and you can't go wrong.
Yes thanks - cable stays in the car. Want to test it out on a couple of untethered options though! Eg local Osprey charger has DC (50kw) and AC (22kw) options but both are tethered chargers.

Quite a few of the 'location' chargers (supermarkets, council carparks etc) seem to be untethered but not easy to tell from the ZapMap type listings.

Look at the colour of the pin on the map. If it is purple and blue, they either have a mixture of type 2 and ccs stalls, or it will be one stall with tethered type 2 and ccs. I know Pod-Point 50kW stalls have ccs, chadeamo, and type 2 tethered plugs.

Edit: There are 2 Osprey stalls at a pub near by which also has tethered type 2 plug, which also shows as a purple/blue pin. So, look for the blue only pins and they should be untethered. I hope that helps and makes sense. :)

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom