Public charger network choices.

remarkable1967

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Sorry if there is a thread on this already but I couldn't find one. Although 99% of my charging will be from home when I finally get my MG4, I am curious which public charge network has the best coverage and also do you still have to use specific apps with subscription or do they let you use credit/debit cards. Ta..... Mark

Hi, what apps have you downloaded and do they include Zap-map?
I have a page full most of which I tried out in the first few months of owning an EV.
Try planning a few routes to friand family to see what networks or on you way.
There are some cards and apps that cover a number of networks and can save you a few pence per kWh.

All new rapid chargers must be able to take debit card payments, older ones, it depends how old they are.. You will most likely only need to use a public charger on a very long run so if you are in the habit of doing that, look at the routes you take and see what is available. Use Zapmap and Plugshare to do this as they are quite comprehensive and include things like cost and availability.

Thanks guys. I know it's a bit premature (17 weeks before car delivery) but I do like to review things properly. I have downloaded zapmap but for some reason I thought plugshare was Tesla only. I'll download it as well and have a look. Cheers.... Mark

A better route planner and even Google maps (not sure if it does that yet). Lots of charging stations have their own apps too. Have fun trying them out. Of course, the car's sat nav will be useful (once you get it - I'm waiting too) if it's anything like my Smurf's.

This may not be relevant to you, but if you are planning to venture as far as Scotland, you'll find that things are a bit different. The vast majority of chargers here are operated by ChargePlace Scotland, though the number of independents seems to be increasing gradually. Since mobile coverage can be iffy, particularly in remoter parts, it's worth getting a CPS RFID card if you're aiming on travelling around. Details on the CPS website.

EVM has recently released one of his great videos and done a dip check on charger reliability in his area as an example, results were not good !.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom