Public Chargers in Stupid/Ludicrous/Awkward Places!

bwanamdevu

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
All of us, whether we use them or not will have seen public chargers positioned in some really stupid places! No doubt you will have your own examples to show to the group but the one at Morrisons in Newark is an ideal candidate to start the thread off.

Morrisons Supermarket has both an upper and lower parking area. Geniepoint, in its infinite wisdom has chosen to put their charger on the lower area, tucked away in a corner, surrounded by brick walls and thick concrete. Users have posted on Zap-Map that it is near to impossible to get a signal on their mobile phones from there and I can testify to this. Most have to connect then walk to the nearest pedestrian entrance and get a signal there to commence charging.

Today was the first time that I have actually seen an EV charging there! What are your examples?

Attachments

• 4029024A-053B-44E5-A82A-DCB9BF608906.jpeg
    4029024A-053B-44E5-A82A-DCB9BF608906.jpeg
    557.7 KB · Views: 168
The one at my work place is a 2 socket Rolec, mounted to a wall to one side of 2 parking bays. It's impossible for a 2nd car to charge with a 5m lead, which is the most common type2-type2 cable people buy.

Users have posted on Zap-Map that it is near to impossible to get a signal on their mobile phones from there and I can testify to this.
Although we all hate having a wallet full of RFID cards, this is a clear situation where having a RFID card makes getting a unit started, is much easier than using the App !.
I ask myself this, how the hell are you expected to call the network operator of the charging unit ( if you encounter a problem ) if you have no phone signal in the location of that charger ????.
You can register any RFID card to work with the Geniepoint units.
Here is a link to their web site, it has a video and instructions on how to do this.

Although we all hate having a wallet full of RFID cards, this is a clear situation where having a RFID card makes getting a unit started, is much easier than using the App !.
I ask myself this, how the hell are you expected to call the network operator of the charging unit ( if you encounter a problem ) if you have no phone signal in the location of that charger ????.
You can register any RFID card to work with the Geniepoint units.
Here is a link to their web site, it has a video and instructions on how to do this.

Many users commenting on Zap-Map have also stated that the best way to get over the poor signal at this charger is with a RFID card. So you are stating the good advice already followed by EV drivers using this charger.

That ones bloody brilliant! I doubt if anybody could top that for stupidity, awkwardness and ludicrousness!

Dual purpose charger and skipping rope.View attachment 6569
That one was the first public charger I ever used. The idea was to use it for 5-10 minutes; I thought a quick run down the road to check out how these things worked would be good as we'd planned a trip away. Not a good introduction to public charging.

The charger in question's been listed as out of action since last year...

Sadly yes.
I say sadly because someone thought this was a good spot for a charging point.
I suspect it is no longer in use due to the safety issue. What a waste of money!
I have used it previously (with a longer lead) and was good for a quick charge whilst enjoying a meal in their excellent restaurant.

That one was the first public charger I ever used. The idea was to use it for 5-10 minutes; I thought a quick run down the road to check out how these things worked would be good as we'd planned a trip away. Not a good introduction to public charging.

The charger in question's been listed as out of action since last year...
Probably due to safety concerns.

Sadly yes.
I say sadly because someone thought this was a good spot for a charging point.
I suspect it is no longer in use due to the safety issue. What a waste of money!
I have used it previously (with a longer lead) and was good for a quick charge whilst enjoying a meal in their excellent restaurant.
I seem to remember seeing it and thinking "that's daft" it's been there a very long time.

Hi Iain, coming up to your city in a couple of weeks for a 3 day break, can you recommend much easier charging points ? (staying at the Jury's Inn).
Hi Edoc16, Firstly I hope you will enjoy your trip to Inverness and the weather won’t be too cold.
I trust you have a CPS card as there are still a few free chargers. Also you will be quite close to two Tesco supermarkets which are in the process of having charge points fitted. Hopefully they will be working by the time you get here.
Also reasonable charging on the A9. I usually stop at Pitlochry as the car park (with fast and rapid chargers) is very close to town centre for coffees etc whilst charging.
Have a good trip and please let me know if you require further info.
Kind regards,
Iain

Hi Edoc16, Firstly I hope you will enjoy your trip to Inverness and the weather won’t be too cold.
I trust you have a CPS card as there are still a few free chargers. Also you will be quite close to two Tesco supermarkets which are in the process of having charge points fitted. Hopefully they will be working by the time you get here.
Also reasonable charging on the A9. I usually stop at Pitlochry as the car park (with fast and rapid chargers) is very close to town centre for coffees etc whilst charging.
Have a good trip and please let me know if you require further info.
Kind regards,
Iain
Thx for your response Iain, yes have CPS card and have now planned in a Pitlochry stop but apparently not all working :-( anyway due to drive up on the 16th (weather permitting) hopefully the units will be repaired thx for the offer of help....

Thx for your response Iain, yes have CPS card and have now planned in a Pitlochry stop but apparently not all working :-( anyway due to drive up on the 16th (weather permitting) hopefully the units will be repaired thx for the offer of help....
There are 2 older rapid chargers and two brand new ones in Pitlochry, I've used them many times and never yet had to wait because they were all full. Make the most of them while they are still free to use :) Because when you get to Inverness it'll cost you 30p per kwh.

Your safest bet when in Inverness is to use the Rapid at the crematorium, the one by the cathedral is an older one and doesn't always play nice with the MG5. The only other option is the Margaret St Rapid but it's often blocked by taxis who will not move except in their own time.

Before Covid struck the council had plans to build a charging hub, hopefully these will go ahead now.

Your safest bet when in Inverness is to use the Rapid at the crematorium, the one by the cathedral is an older one and doesn't always play nice with the MG5. The only other option is the Margaret St Rapid but it's often blocked by taxis who will not move except in their own time.

Before Covid struck the council had plans to build a charging hub, hopefully these will go ahead now.
I have the exclusive ZS will that make a difference ? plus I'm 78 and don't want to get too close the crematorium 5teep !!!! anyway thx for the info - this is a great forum for help all round - keep up the one for all and all for... etc.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom