Public Chargers Up Poles? Seriously?

bwanamdevu

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
One of the U.S. electric companies, National Grid have come up with an idea that they are piloting in Melrose, close to Boston in Massachusett. They have developed an EV public charger that is perched way above head height on electric poles. Several films on YouTube show how they operate to release a charging cable that an EV owner can use. Early results have been so promising that about 100 of these units are going to be installed in Los Angeles.

Perhaps this is something that the U.K. charging companies can investigate. I could envisage them on electric, telephone or street light poles in urban settings where people would struggle to fit chargers of their own. The American installers have also estimated that fitting this sort of charger saves about 70% of the normal installation costs! No ripping up the streets or pavements!

Two YouTube films are about this procedure. First one here with a follow-up one in winter.

This solution only works where power is carried on overhead lines so would be unsuitable in most UK cities. The dangling cable is also a hazard that would never be allowed in the UK although it might work in an area that wasn't shared with pedestrians.

Its fairly easy to add a charging point to an existing street lamp posts... Wiring already in place and you can then park roadside without trailing cables of the footpath

One company (ubtricity) at least is planning to install charge points in lamp posts in UK. It's a good idea and as phillycee says reasonably easy to do as long at the council in question can supply the power.

One company (ubtricity) at least is planning to install charge points in lamp posts in UK. It's a good idea and as phillycee says reasonably easy to do as long at the council in question can supply the power.
That’s good news! Must see if I can read up about that.

Lamp posts may provide a suitable location to house a charger but there will still be the disruption of running a suitable supply because the existing cable will certainly not have the required capacity.

I've seen a few lamp-post chargers in East London...but they were all in controlled residents parking areas...so I couldn't use them

Lamp posts may provide a suitable location to house a charger but there will still be the disruption of running a suitable supply because the existing cable will certainly not have the required capacity.

For now yes but there would not be a huge amount going in at once. My guess would be ramped up as ev sales rise and you're only going to find them in places where the supply is sufficient.

SmartSelect_20220103-062210_Maps.jpg

Just had a look on Google Maps and there appear to be about eleven or so Ubitricity lamp-post chargers in the streets around this one!

Original lampposts ran incandescent bulbs, I believe up to about 500w each bulb (I could well be wrong on that, I'm sure someone else will know). So the power for these for a whole street was enormous. With better bulbs this reduced, and most, in fact all, around here anyway now use LED so there is bags of power available sitting there.

Original lampposts ran incandescent bulbs, I believe up to about 500w each bulb (I could well be wrong on that, I'm sure someone else will know). So the power for these for a whole street was enormous. With better bulbs this reduced, and most, in fact all, around here anyway now use LED so there is bags of power available sitting there.
Much will depend on the age of the delivery infrastructure. The very oldest stuff would have been based on incandescent but anything installed in the last 40 or so years would have been based on SOX or SON and most of these lamps would have been <100W in residential areas.
I'd still say an upgrade of supply would be necessary.

These Ubitricity lamp-post chargers appear to be concentrated in London and Liverpool. Checked a few on Google Maps and their chargers in other places seem to be conventional ones.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom