Replacing offside/drivers wing mirror - advice/hints/tips

Hedgemonkey

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Evening,

I have had a third party give my drivers side wing mirror a large love touch which has damaged the internal structure of the wing mirror- the indicator, and certain plastic parts smashed.

I’ve order a replacement part from MG. The parts technicIan has stated the wing mirror is secured by 3 bolts and 2 connectors. Has anyone replaced a wing mirror unit yet? Or am I the guinea pig? Any tips/hints gratefully received.

Not on an mg but have on an astra. Easy if the mirror has no power going to it. On the astra I had to take the door card off to disconnect the wires. Also had to spray paint the mirror which was tougher than I thought it would be. The bolts are the easy part on most cars.

Not on an mg but have on an astra. Easy if the mirror has no power going to it. On the astra I had to take the door card off to disconnect the wires. Also had to spray paint the mirror which was tougher than I thought it would be. The bolts are the easy part on most cars.
Don’t need to paint the part as part matched by registration and VIN. I’ve done older manual cars - 20 years ago. Just with modern cars wondering if any special tools needed - I’m renowned for being a brute force and ignorance person so trying not to go down my usual path.

You have the advantage that it doesn't matter if you break something removing the old one. It's that process which will inform you how to install the new.
Start with removal of the decorative cover as that's supposed to be replaceable anyway.

Don’t need to paint the part as part matched by registration and VIN. I’ve done older manual cars - 20 years ago. Just with modern cars wondering if any special tools needed - I’m renowned for being a brute force and ignorance person so trying not to go down my usual path.
Hi hope you dont mind me asking but how much was the new mirror.

Take photos on your phone as you remove the old one so you have a reference as to where the new bits go.

Video of ZS card removal shows the bolts for the mirror. Looks like the connection for the mirror might be by the bolts hence not needing door card removal. That would make it an easy job. My Mg5 hasn't been delivered yet for me to check but I would be surprised if it is that different. Interesting thing about the door card removal on ZS is that the process is almost identical to the astra. I guess there are only so many ways it can be done hence the similarity.

Video of ZS card removal shows the bolts for the mirror. Looks like the connection for the mirror might be by the bolts hence not needing door card removal. That would make it an easy job. My Mg5 hasn't been delivered yet for me to check but I would be surprised if it is that different. Interesting thing about the door card removal on ZS is that the process is almost identical to the astra. I guess there are only so many ways it can be done hence the similarity.

Awesome video, I’ll look tomorrow in the dry - that would make it really easy if it’s similar.

Have you asked the dealer you ordered the part from for a price including the fitting of it, I two have done things like this in the past but sometimes your not saving that much money with DIY and if they scratch it or damage it in any way while doing the job they would have to repair or replace it again.
Les

Well I’ve had a look this morning and I don’t need to remove the door card. I just used a thin blunt edge to lever off the plastic guard covering the mirror area of the door.

It reveals 3 torx screws and the cabling bundle. So it should be a straightforward job once the part is in.

There is a hole though into the door space between the door card and actual door when you remove the plastic cover. I will cover that prior to removing the screws as it would be really easy to loose screws/parts in there.

I’ll add some photos when I get round to doing it.

Right I thought I would give an update. I have replaced the wing mirror unit and learning has occurred. The video of the ZS card removal is the same for the MG5. It is useful to watch.

You can lever the plastic cover off the area where the wing mirror unit bolts are located. You do need to take the door card off. Two screws removed as shown in the video and again levering the door card off causes it to pop out.

You need a size 30 Torx bit to remove the 3 bolts, a little screw driver to remove a smaller retaining screw, disconnect the electrics cable.

Replaced the wing mirror and did the reverse of what was done originally. Be careful with popping the door card back on. The plastic door card though flexible is brittle - I have noted a small crack on the bottom of the door card due to enthusiastic persuasion to refit the card. I’lI repair/replace the door card in due course but can live with that at this time.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom