Roofbars and Mounts

PeterJ

Novice Member
Reaction score
A query for anyone who may have already experimented with roofbars...

I popped in to our local dealer to do a comparison between MG5 and MG4 yesterday - as a potential replacement for our ZS EV. The one thing that would be a real miss is the bootspace of the MG4. So much shallower than that of either ZS of MG5 - understandably with a rear mount motor, of course.

I spent a bit of time looking at the roof of the MG4 with the salesman. We have a big Thule roofbox that we have used on many different cars over the years. On ZS no problems with built in roof rails, of course. Looks like the only potential option for MG4 would be something like the Thule Clamp Evo for fixing. Has anyone else looked into this and/or had any success with options?

The MG4 isn't currently rated for any roof loading. (That doesn't mean it can't take a roof load - it just means doing so will breach the C&U regulations and likely invalidate your insurance in the event of a claim).

Space and roof load needs to be MG5.

MG4 and MG5 have maximum towing weight of 500KG and nose weight of 50KG. But MG5 also has a roof load of 75 kg.

I've emailed VCA re this to see if I can get a response re Roof usage .. As I cant justify a towbar when I have a Thule Rack sat in the Garage -That probably just needs new feet (to fit the 4) ! - Bonkers that UK 4's aren't approved; yet EU 4's are - Come on MG UK get your act together ?!

1683715257266.png

I've emailed VCA re this to see if I can get a response re Roof usage .. As I cant justify a towbar when I have a Thule Rack sat in the Garage -That probably just needs new feet (to fit the 4) ! - Bonkers that UK 4's aren't approved; yet EU 4's are - Come on MG UK get your act together ?!

View attachment 17388
Awesome, I didn't know we as an end user could even do this. Fingers crossed it gets approval and we can put the common sense Vs legality/insurance discussion to bed

Awesome, I didn't know we as an end user could even do this. Fingers crossed it gets approval and we can put the common sense Vs legality/insurance discussion to bed
I have no idea if my email (enquiry) will even get a response - I'd like to think I would get something even if its Sorry we don't reply to the Public - But I'll wait and see..

Also Emailed MG ... & had a swift initial reply ...

Hmm got '....Have checked this with our Head Techs ... blah blah effectively 'Nope you cant - but you can tow' reply

But why can non UK use it I replied back with - no reply as of typing this

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom