Route planning and live navigation....

tkmaxx5

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
We are looking forward (me perhaps more than my wife!) to our first long-distance trip in our Facelift MG5 in a couple of weeks (Leeds to Brittany, overnight in Folkestone). I'm happy enough with my route planning options (ABRP, ZapMap, Electroverse, WattsUp etc) but my question is what's the best option for actual navigation on the journey?

The route options most of the apps use don't seem to factor in traffic levels, road closures etc, so I'm tempted to use Google Maps (via Android Auto) to follow an approximate plan and then use one of the apps to find a charger on the go.

We are travelling with kids so chances are we will be stopping more regularly than the optimal planned journeys would suggest, so my approach will probably be to top-up every time we stop and then re-calibrate the next leg of the journey (ie we definitely need to stop at 'x' charger if we haven't already) although this feels a bit fast and loose!!

Any experienced heads out there got any tips?

Not experienced but have researched the apps available. I believe Google maps is one of the best for finding chargers. Search for EV chargers. You can then use the appropriate app to find the detail about the chargers

Not experienced but have researched the apps available. I believe Google maps is one of the best for finding chargers. Search for EV chargers. You can then use the appropriate app to find the detail about the chargers
Thanks yes was thinking of this - wasn't sure how easily this could be done on the move using android auto, but will try it out hopefully before we set off!!

There have been several threads on this topic and the general thoughts are find the chargers you want to charge at using whichever charger finder app you like, then set them as a destination in whichever navigation app you prefer.

Try these threads

There have been several threads on this topic and the general thoughts are find the chargers you want to charge at using whichever charger finder app you like, then set them as a destination in whichever navigation app you prefer.

Try these threads

Thank you - I did try have a search before posting (obviously not very well!).

My specific challenge is driving with kids where stops may be less hard to predict. But will have a read and a think.

Thanks again

Thank you - I did try have a search before posting (obviously not very well!).

My specific challenge is driving with kids where stops may be less hard to predict. But will have a read and a think.

Thanks again
WattsUp is your answer. Keep it live on screen (not AA compatible unfortunately but someone did say it was Carplay) and it constantly shows you nearby chargers as you go.
Personally I use my preferred satnav on the infotainment and keep WattsUp active on my phone in the holder.

Thanks yes, I had seen that but was disappointed no android auto integration. But think I may well try that - Google Maps with overall journey plan (or optimal stops calculated via ABRP or whatever); wattsup open on a phone then (ideally) Electroverse to pay (as get discount, but won't be fussy on that!)
Can you have google maps running on Android Auto and wattsup running on your phone via the same device (will have a play with this setup soon).
Another question (sorry!) If you follow a route on wattsup will it re-route if you go another way (eg often Google maps suggests alternatives based on traffic etc)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks yes, I had seen that but was disappointed no android auto integration. But think I may well try that - Google Maps with overall journey plan (or optimal stops calculated via ABRP or whatever); wattsup open on a phone then (ideally) Electroverse to pay (as get discount, but won't be fussy on that!)
Can you have google maps running on Android Auto and wattsup running on your phone via the same device (will have a play with this setup soon).
Another question (sorry!) If you follow a route on wattsup will it re-route if you go another way (eg often Google maps suggests alternatives based on traffic etc)
Yes you can have both open, Usually Waze/G Maps on Infotainment and WU on my phone.
Not had that happen yet re re-routing, might be worth trying a dummy run when travelling locally, but you could just choose nearest charger from home screen.
Be aware that whilst en-route the nearest and next nearest chargers scroll across the bottom of the screen but if you have passed the nearest and it is still the nearest it will still show it as nearest. (hope that makes sense :) )

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom