Route planning for EVs

An OBD2 Dongle provides a means of tapping (usually via Bluetooth) into diagnostic data generated in real time by the car. You don't actually need it but it may enhance the usability of certain apps like the one cited previously or provide "nice to have" information about the state of the car.

So I found this thread as I was baffled in my MG4 - testing the built-in navigation route planning I couldn’t see an estimated arrival % or usage per stop. Only a max guessed range remaining from current batt.

I’m testing ABRP as overall a better experience, so to avoid the over cautious estimated usage I’ve set my avg consumption miles per kW higher (4.3mI/kW about right on test drives). Estimated and arrival % match up closer without impacting time. I understand as MG provide no API/data to calculate it they are over cautious by default as all the math is generic.

My fingers are crossed for a fixed SOC % value soon for ODB2 profile on the MG4 🤞
Then it’ll be much more accurate for various speeds. Yet should work well on the ZS right now.

Maybe not a video, but…..

View attachment 10733

From the main screen I click on “Search on map”

View attachment 10738

I then enter the destination using the keypad.

View attachment 10734

In this case I have selected a location a Norwich. Then click the Flag Icon to set this as the destination.

View attachment 10735

An overview map will appear showing the route and suggested chargers to use on the way.

View attachment 10736

If you click on any of the suggested chargers to be used on the route (only one in this case), it will display its details.

View attachment 10737

Click on the “Go” button to get started.

View attachment 10739

Then your route will appear.

The router planner will reroute if you go off course.

You can enter details about your car and adjust your expected range depending on your driving style.
Is this app available on carplay? I was interested in it but it wouldn't work on Android auto for me which I found unusual for a routing app.

My fingers are crossed for a fixed SOC % value soon for ODB2 profile on the MG4 🤞
Then it’ll be much more accurate for various speeds. Yet should work well on the ZS right now.
It works OK on my 4 - and has done since they introduced it for MG.
I haven't used it in anger yet, just fired up the app and played around with it - it was reading the SoC via ODB OK though.

Planning a little run on Sunday so to be able to answer some question I went on line to plug it into a route planner.

The main ones don't cater for EVs at all, none seem to offer shortest route as an option. It matters because using the shortest route it could (theoretically) be done without a charge as a round trip (244 miles) although I wouldn't risk it. As the "preferred" route is some 30 miles longer it makes a difference.

Zap-Map won't let me drag the route around nor simply make it a round trip. I would have to set it as start and finish at the same location then find the nearest address to a road junction and make 3 waypoints, outward waypoint/destination/return waypoint.

Am I the only one to want to do this?
Try electroverse from Octopus, you can even get a card from them tht works at most chargers. I found the route app very good.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom