Route planning for EVs

Hairyfool

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Planning a little run on Sunday so to be able to answer some question I went on line to plug it into a route planner.

The main ones don't cater for EVs at all, none seem to offer shortest route as an option. It matters because using the shortest route it could (theoretically) be done without a charge as a round trip (244 miles) although I wouldn't risk it. As the "preferred" route is some 30 miles longer it makes a difference.

Zap-Map won't let me drag the route around nor simply make it a round trip. I would have to set it as start and finish at the same location then find the nearest address to a road junction and make 3 waypoints, outward waypoint/destination/return waypoint.

Am I the only one to want to do this?

Google does list EV charge points but I had an issue with using it between PC ànd a phone.
Just check out what charge networks you have apps or RFID cards for or just go for a pay as you go with Credit card.

I still plan manually as no EV route planner works. Apparently Google are introducing an option.
Same here.
I use Zap map/Plugshare/WattsUp etc. to locate the chargers at suitable points on my journey where there are multiple options. I then use Waze/Google Maps to actually get there. :)

I still plan manually as no EV route planner works. Apparently Google are introducing an option.
The French now require Google to show the shortest route by default in an attempt to lower emissions etc. and apparenty it will be rolled out across the maps platform soon for all countries (although I'm not sure that it actually works yet even here though!). There is the ability to show EV chargers on route with Google already, but it's currently really clunky and the option is hidden pretty well in both the desktop and mobile apps - this lack of EV planning surprises me when one considers that Google is the standard mapping choice for some OEM infotainment systems such as Polestar via their Android Automotive OS and thus already has the capability to plan stops etc.

In our Luxury/Trophy Connect version there is the option to plan a route in the iSmart app and send it to the car - I couldn't get this to work at all; it planned the route fine in the app and transferred it to the car, but all I got was a message in the car saying your planned journey will start soon, but could not find how to initiate the plan in the sat nav anywhere - I probably missed something and need to spend more time investigating this, but didn't have the time or inclination when I tried it last.

I used ABRP Premium via a free code for 14 days use (just Google ABRP trial code, there are heaps out there) to plan and navigate my trip from Bordeaux to Barcelona and back last week. What I found was that it's pretty pessimistic with it's calculations despite using the live weather and traffic options as well as specifing the ZS LR as the vehicle I was using, and I could constantly get 15-20% better consumption than ABRP had planned without adjusting my normal driving style (meaning that I skipped a couple of planned charging stops); I'm not sure if ABRP's planning would improve if it was connected directly to the car via an OBDII dongle, but as I don't have one I couldn't test that.

ABRP does provide a pretty good first pass when planning though, especially on the web version at home, so that you can tell roughly how long the journey will take including stops. There is also a lot that can be configured such as SOC leaving and arriving, departure date/time etc. which all makes for differing calculations, none of which can be done in Google. The map when displayed on the car screen is OK, but it doesn't zoom in at junctions in the same way as Google and many others do, so it can be a little harder to follow in complex or unfamiliar situations. However, what annoyed me the most is that I couldn't find the way to stop the Bluetooth connection between ABRP and my watch (didn't even know that was a thing until I started driving!) and it buzzed my watch 3 times for every turn; it was infuriating and lead to me just turning my watch off for the journey - first-world problems I know!

What I do think is a really good option though is that you can plan on ABRP then export the route to Google/Waze/HERE or even What3Words via the 'share to map' option, then use your favourite app to navigate which works pretty well - my version is still in the Premium free trial period, but I assume this export function works even on the free version, which would be pretty useful.

Update to the above, I've finally found the routes I sent to the car via the iSmart app - they were not in the sat nav where one would expect them to be, but burried in the User section - obvious really, not.

I agree with the issues listed above, but can confirm that the free version does still allow exports to Google Maps.
I find that I can get the range correct by setting an artificially low speed in the settings at the expense of the timings, but at least you get the correct distances between charges. Then exporting to Google Maps cures the times.

I agree with the issues listed above, but can confirm that the free version does still allow exports to Google Maps.
I find that I can get the range correct by setting an artificially low speed in the settings at the expense of the timings, but at least you get the correct distances between charges. Then exporting to Google Maps cures the times.
What artificially low speed works for you ?

EVNavigation is a good app for BEVs.

283E2975-02FF-409B-BA84-F056760089B9.jpeg

A similar UI to ABRP - are they related?

exporting to Google Maps cures the times.

Just beware that Google Maps recalculates the route based on different criteria to ABRP and using current traffic data both when you start and throughout the journey. This can result in longer, faster and more undulating routes that use significantly more energy. If you have left only small margins you can come badly undone. Using the maps in ABRP premium with a suitable OBD2 dongle overcomes that at the expense of the worse (IMHO) UI.

Maybe not a video, but…..

A700469C-63E3-45E0-8AE2-63C7466704E7.jpeg

From the main screen I click on “Search on map”

4F286728-8986-433B-9B26-928520616EF8.jpeg

I then enter the destination using the keypad.

9331EF00-7C23-452D-A2CE-C985F5790052.jpeg

In this case I have selected a location a Norwich. Then click the Flag Icon to set this as the destination.

E6CD2198-CB78-46DD-9541-54B45ACCF805.jpeg

An overview map will appear showing the route and suggested chargers to use on the way.

E87E3CFF-FA6C-40AC-BF85-611AB7AB10D5.jpeg

If you click on any of the suggested chargers to be used on the route (only one in this case), it will display its details.

0C4C894E-6FCE-41CE-A547-A21CCB46EA26.jpeg

Click on the “Go” button to get started.

00456291-02F8-49D9-B1DC-94F69E7AFE2F.jpeg

Then your route will appear.

The router planner will reroute if you go off course.

You can enter details about your car and adjust your expected range depending on your driving style.

Is the battery % charge figure in the bottom right of the last picture live or estimated?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom