Security

a1970man

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
I'm expecting my new HS within a few weeks an wanted to ask a question about security.

The MG HS scored a very low score for keyless entry theft in the Thatcham tests and I was wondering if any forum members have purchased faraday cage wallets or key boxes.

If you have, which one did you buy and does it do the job.

Thanks

Hello
Got some pouch’s from Halfords for each key which work well also of eBay a steering wheel bar.
The keys only work with the at about 1.5mt but with all these keys system do not leave by the front or back door which could be picked up by scanner keep in the middle of the house or up stairs at night and you will be fine.
When unlocking or locking the car keep a eye out for car parked need by with some one in them where you would not expect them to be.
If you have bushes in the garden need where you park the car have a look for scanner in them.

Just follow the simple rule keep in pouch when not in the car and keep away from the door.

I'm expecting my new HS within a few weeks an wanted to ask a question about security.

The MG HS scored a very low score for keyless entry theft in the Thatcham tests and I was wondering if any forum members have purchased faraday cage wallets or key boxes.

If you have, which one did you buy and does it do the job.

Thanks
I have tried various Faraday pouches & boxes from ebay but they all failed the ultimate test of being able to start the car when sitting in it, all of the pouches i tried could not stop the car doors from being unlocked when only half a metre away all returned for refunds..The one option i found which seems to pass all my tests but is too large to carry round but excellent for night storage it is a round stainless steel tin type really well made ...a little pricey but it works.. ebay item No: 403599707638...there are cheaper sellers for this item but i went for the higher seller rating and they didnt dissapoint

I have tried various Faraday pouches & boxes from ebay but they all failed the ultimate test of being able to start the car when sitting in it, all of the pouches i tried could not stop the car doors from being unlocked when only half a metre away all returned for refunds..The one option i found which seems to pass all my tests but is too large to carry round but excellent for night storage it is a round stainless steel tin type really well made ...a little pricey but it works.. ebay item No: 403599707638...there are cheaper sellers for this item but i went for the higher seller rating and they didnt dissapoint
If you sitting in the car it will start the car it is all to do with distance as well, are you keeping your keys in a tin near the door at night? I keep my keys in a pouch well away from the door front and back, also use a steering wheel clamp and have good lighting on the car.

I bought a pair of Faraday pouches from Amazon:
Amazon product ASIN B08FT6YCQZI chose the small pouch and the MG key fits fine. The car will not respond to the key when in the pouch, if you forget to remove the key from the pouch you get a 'Bong' alert with the dash message No Key Detected
My concern is there is no interior or Tilt alarm, so I guess someone smashing a window or jacking up the car at night to cut out the convertor would not wake anyone up. Maybe that's why the security level is judged - Poor.

As the cat is well up in the engine bay it would take too much time to remove it also I think there is a shield around it. They look for a quick two cut remove.

Keep my keys in a tin box. I've tried using them to unlock the car from within the tin, and they don't work, so I assume they can't be scanned from outside the house either.

As the cat is well up in the engine bay it would take too much time to remove it also I think there is a shield around it. They look for a quick two cut remove.
Thanks Jto, didn't realise that. Hopefully the scrotes will stick to Prius's

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom