Short Duration Free Charges

Taq

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Just wondering if using free Type 2 chargers regularly when popping to the supermarket for 10-15min to grab a few % charge is likely to cause issues with the battery over the long term rather than charging up to 80-100%?

No issues with top ups as far as I’m aware. General advice is avoid leaving your pack at full charge or very low for a long time and keep rapid charging to a minimum if you can and your usage allows.

That’s good point about the kerrs hadn’t thought about it that way, I thinking of it from a cell balancing point of view

Just wondering if using free Type 2 chargers regularly when popping to the supermarket for 10-15min to grab a few % charge is likely to cause issues with the battery over the long term rather than charging up to 80-100%?
To be totally honest, if you are only plugging onto a 7kw post for between 10 - 15 minutes, then the increase in range, is going to be very small.
10 minutes on charge, is only going to achieve about 5 miles of extra range.
I understand the charge is likely to be at zero cost, but not sure the "Gain matches the Pain" really.
A rapid unit is a completely different story of course.

To be totally honest, if you are only plugging onto a 7kw post for between 10 - 15 minutes, then the increase in range, is going to be very small.
10 minutes on charge, is only going to achieve about 5 miles of extra range.
I understand the charge is likely to be at zero cost, but not sure the "Gain matches the Pain" really.
A rapid unit is a completely different story of course.
I pop into a local lidl that has free charging, 7kw podpoint.
The typical charge i get whilst shopping means i get more miles added than it takes me to get there and back.
Worth it in my eyes.

Just imagine if tesco or asda advertised a few gallon of fuel worth every shop..

Carnage would ensue.

Whenever I need a charge and see an AC post I have to weigh the hassle of getting the cable out, plugging it in and putting it all away after versus the gain in range. AC very rarely comes out on top of that argument.

I pop into a local lidl that has free charging, 7kw podpoint.
The typical charge i get whilst shopping means i get more miles added than it takes me to get there and back.
Worth it in my eyes.

Just imagine if tesco or asda advertised a few gallon of fuel worth every shop..

Carnage would ensue.
I use a free PodPoint at Tesco. I now do a leisurely shop, have a coffee and get free Miles. Perfect😀

Rapid charging is less of an issue than was originally thought. There are early Nissan Leafs used as taxis that have had a lot of rapid charging with no sophisticated BMS that have reached 180,000 miles and still with 80% of battery available. We can expect the MGs to do better with their bigger batteries. Teslas are being reported as doing 300,000 miles with little degradation whilst some die young for no apparent reason. One point which seems to be coming from the Hyundai Kona fires is that the robots assembling batteries have not been set up sufficiently accurately and the small misassembly has lead to shorting in the battery packs. Hence there are a number of Konas awaiting return to Korea for inspection.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom