Should Manufacturers be More Flexible with Warranties during Pandemic?

Cocijo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most people have been in lockdowns and restricted - not being able to use their cars and travel as they would like - should manufacturers make allowance for this on warranty claims? Even extend the warranty periods? What about car insurance? Premiums don’t seem to reduce. Claims must be really low as with mileages - should insurers offer refunds/discounts? What else? Road tax rebates? 🙂

In short, yes. I have a van that's due it's first service now, the dealer said I had to get it done, I contacted the manufacturer who said I could go another 3 months/1800 miles without affecting the warranty. I'm sort of happy with this - the service is costly and I'm not in work - but then bearing in mind the earlier lockdown, I've only driven just over a tenth of the mileage it needs for this sevice.

Most people have been in lockdowns and restricted - not being able to use their cars and travel as they would like - should manufacturers make allowance for this on warranty claims? Even extend the warranty periods? What about car insurance? Premiums don’t seem to reduce. Claims must be really low as with mileages - should insurers offer refunds/discounts? What else? Road tax rebates? 🙂
I thinking of applying for a road tax rebate for the MG and the PHEV .....how do think I will get on? 😁

Fresh air - just like the cars 🤣🙃

I think your vehicle has to be SORNed to get something back..dont think they would consider anything else but always worth a go

It was a bit tongue in cheek about road tax really 🤪 we don’t pay any on EV’s anyway - plus I can’t see HMRC giving any back any time soon to other road users 🙂

In fact - it’s only a matter of time before EV’s pay road tax....

Apparently, some insurance companies have been refunding people part of their premiums over lockdown. I'm sure there will be a catch somewhere, because insurance companies...
Yes - I know that to be very true.
I was insured with LV last year.
Then I received a renewal letter to advise of a £85 increase on my policy !!!!!!.
Can you believe the "Neck" of these people.
Needless to say, I did not renew with them.
But, they are not on there own.
My house insurance company tried the same trick to increase our policy by £70.
Little chance of getting robbed when you are stuck in the house for months and months !.
Regarding service / warranty T&C's.
For MG they have a 30 day grace period on your recommended service date.
Most are open for repairs, so they expect you to be able to submit your car close to the service date.
Always get's a bit sticky this one I personal think.
e.g :- Somewhere in the warranty period you require a large warranty claim to be satisfied.
The manufacture will be looking at picking up a sizeable bill for the parts and the labour.
"Likes just check the service history of the car here".
"Oh ......... What do you know, it had it's annual service conducted almost 6 months behind the normal recommended service date !."
Claim rejected under the T&C's laid down in the warranty document.
Trust me, I have witnessed this type of behaviour first hand.

In fact - it’s only a matter of time before EV’s pay road tax....
Your right of course !.
The buggers will move the goal posts to suit the loss in budget revenue I am sure
Hey ..... These are the same people who actively encouraged us all to buy oil burners and lowered the road fund licence because of reduced emissions !.
The U.K. are hosting world talks in Scotland this year on emission reduction, but are still pushing ahead with opening a new coal mine in this country !.

Apparently, some insurance companies have been refunding people part of their premiums over lockdown. I'm sure there will be a catch somewhere, because insurance companies...

I had this last year on an ICE car that was traded in for my ZS. I had to fill in a form saying what my weekly mileage was during the first lockdown - 5 miles and that was generous - and I got a payment back of about £10 IIRC. I didn't have to take any action and was actually contacted by my insurers about this rather than me speaking to them, so all in all a surprising result.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom