Silent running - pedestrians watch out!!

Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi, all,

We've mentioned a few times about how quiet or MGs are and that you hear road noise etc that you may not have heard in a ICE car.

But a few people have mentioned to me just how quiet the car is as I pull away, particularly if they are standing beside the car as I drive off.

But this week, I've noticed that I seem to be a greater hazard to pedestrians (although I do drive at responsibly appropriately low speeds in their proximity) as they seem to walk out in front of me in busy shopping streets etc. and then look quite surprised to see me there.

Is the car really that quiet from outside?

I walked closely to a Nissan Leaf yesterday which was in motion, and I swear that although it wasn't music I heard, it was broadcasting a"noise" I presume to make you more aware. Or the driver was into some pretty obscure post punk industrial techno!!

Do we have similar or do I have to play my Showaddawaddy's Greatest Hits a little louder??

The ZS does have a noise and there is a video somewhere on here showing someone testing it it. That said I don’t think that it is very loud. Mrs C said she wil stick her head out of the window and shout warning messages to pedes.

I thought that it had been legislated that all EVs now had to make some sort of noise below 20mph? Or did I dream that? Make sense.... Don't Teslas have a "Fart mode" to make childish noises? (hee-hee, I'm sniggering now... Oops..)

My ZS has adequate pedestrian warning noise level in my opinion. Pedestrians seem to hear it ok in my experience. If you have a particular software version you can play virtually what you like through the Tesla pedestrian warning speakers, music, noises, etc, all self programmable.

I also drive a high performance ICE car with big exhausts and they step out in front of that too!
What's happening on their mobile phone is much more important than the world around them, be that noisy or quiet.

I'm quite happy with the volume of the ZS EV and actually really like the noise it makes when travelling at slow speeds / setting off, reversing etc.. I think it sounds quite futuristic and a bit like a turbine engine (think KITT). In fact I really wish we could customise the sound so that I could set it as the Knight Rider scanner sound, but overall I'm happy with it.

Having been outside and close to the car when my wife is using it, I think it's audible enough that most people would be aware of it. Obviously those who are hard of hearing or not paying attention might not hear it, but in those cases that would be the same for an ICE more than likely (short of sounding the horn or revving a big engine). Besides, the amount of people I see crossing roads without looking and with headphones in or a hood up really means it has to be the drivers who are paying most attention for hazards.

I'm quite happy with the volume of the ZS EV and actually really like the noise it makes when travelling at slow speeds / setting off, reversing etc.. I think it sounds quite futuristic and a bit like a turbine engine (think KITT). In fact I really wish we could customise the sound so that I could set it as the Knight Rider scanner sound, but overall I'm happy with it.

Having been outside and close to the car when my wife is using it, I think it's audible enough that most people would be aware of it. Obviously those who are hard of hearing or not paying attention might not hear it, but in those cases that would be the same for an ICE more than likely (short of sounding the horn or revving a big engine). Besides, the amount of people I see crossing roads without looking and with headphones in or a hood up really means it has to be the drivers who are paying most attention for hazards.
@Portgordon
Happy with your volume - your number plate almost says SOOOO LOUD!! 😂 😂 😂

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom