Slow gearbox shifting

I’m glad this thread has been added to because I’ve yet to hear any admission to what is a recognised flaw by just about every driver. Is there any admitted official recognition from anyone in the channel about this please?
I can describe my experience: I wrote a formal complaint to the MG Italia headquarters and they replied that the behavior is to be considered normal; the manager simply suggested to me, if the phenomenon bothers me, to use the car in mixed mode (Hybrid mode). An unacceptable answer, also because I bought this car precisely because it can travel in pure electric mode, otherwise I could have chosen any of the countless other models on the market.
Following this ridiculous answer, I am prepared to file a legal action for non-conformity of the product. In order to prepare this action, I had the car tested on the roller bench. This test confirmed the very serious defect.
Now I still have to decide whether to continue because I know that these procedures in Italy are very slow and expensive and I am not sure of getting a good result.
I add that I recently took the car to service and they updated the software; I hoped that there was also an update for the part relating to the gearbox, but unfortunately this was not the case.
It seems incredible to me that MG could have released a car with such a noticeable defect. And I am surprised that (at least in my country) no one complains about this. Unfortunately, when I took the test drive before the purchase, I did not have the opportunity to push the car beyond 80 km / h, otherwise I would have noticed and would not have bought it.
A real disappointment, also because, apart from this anomalous behavior, the EHS is very pleasant to drive.

Yes it is actually dangerous when part way through a manoeuvre. I think it’s also disappointing that this highly used forum is mainly ignored by MG with no formal representative apart from some dealer interaction. It’s a missed opportunity if this forum can’t have a consolidated representation to voice this type of issue and get an honest and full explanation to this and other common issues.

Yes it is actually dangerous when part way through a manoeuvre. I think it’s also disappointing that this highly used forum is mainly ignored by MG with no formal representative apart from some dealer interaction. It’s a missed opportunity if this forum can’t have a consolidated representation to voice this type of issue and get an honest and full explanation to this and other common issues.
I totally agree with you, even though I believe the opportunity is missing out on MG. A brand that is trying to reposition itself on a very crowded market like that of cars, and especially SUVs, would do well to listen to the few customers who report anomalies or offer suggestions. If this recall continues to be disregarded, MG will once again be a forgotten brand

I can describe my experience: I wrote a formal complaint to the MG Italia headquarters and they replied that the behavior is to be considered normal; the manager simply suggested to me, if the phenomenon bothers me, to use the car in mixed mode (Hybrid mode). An unacceptable answer, also because I bought this car precisely because it can travel in pure electric mode, otherwise I could have chosen any of the countless other models on the market.
Following this ridiculous answer, I am prepared to file a legal action for non-conformity of the product. In order to prepare this action, I had the car tested on the roller bench. This test confirmed the very serious defect.
Now I still have to decide whether to continue because I know that these procedures in Italy are very slow and expensive and I am not sure of getting a good result.
I add that I recently took the car to service and they updated the software; I hoped that there was also an update for the part relating to the gearbox, but unfortunately this was not the case.
It seems incredible to me that MG could have released a car with such a noticeable defect. And I am surprised that (at least in my country) no one complains about this. Unfortunately, when I took the test drive before the purchase, I did not have the opportunity to push the car beyond 80 km / h, otherwise I would have noticed and would not have bought it.
A real disappointment, also because, apart from this anomalous behavior, the EHS is very pleasant to drive.
Hi
please carry on, have you come across the over rev at 30mph if you have the ice running at 30mph my engine is at 2,300rpm and takes about 20 seconds to change up to next gear, if I flip the pedal it will make the box change up and the revs will drop down to 1,700 rpm which is about correct for 30mph. This is wasting petrol.

Unless I'm mistaken, the original query at the start of this thread regarded the 0-60 in 6.9s performance which, in my experience is spot on (in my 2021 HS PHEV), BUT it requires the combination of ICE and a charged battery to boost the performance (by an additional 90hp). In this hybrid mode, the performance with 10 gears appears to be to mfrs spec.

However, the hesitant gear change occurs at around 40mph in EV mode only (without the ICE running). Do please correct me if your experiences do not concur with this. Thx

Unless I'm mistaken, the original query at the start of this thread regarded the 0-60 in 6.9s performance which, in my experience is spot on (in my 2021 HS PHEV), BUT it requires the combination of ICE and a charged battery to boost the performance (by an additional 90hp). In this hybrid mode, the performance with 10 gears appears to be to mfrs spec.

However, the hesitant gear change occurs at around 40mph in EV mode only (without the ICE running). Do please correct me if your experiences do not concur with this. Thx
On my car it has two hesitant to change one in EV and one in EV/ ICE mode.

You can if you launch it like them , foot on brake , then accelerator to the floor , this turns the engine on etc but does not try and drive, then hold like this for about 5 seconds then release the brake while leaving accelerator to the floor , I messaged them and asked how they got it to launch as they did, this is about the only time the car prefoms paper really, and noy really good for everyday driving lol :)

Last edited by a moderator:

I confirm the hesitation occurs only in EV mode. In two case: 80 km/h and 125 km/h.

I have also found this issue, but also when in auto the car jumps around as though the engine is cold! Also a couple of times whilst in EV mode taking off onto roundabout it did nothing for about 1-2. Secs! Very scary when you are trying to get between traffic! I will be arranging a visit at some point to dealer as I am not convinced that the Accelerator sensor is working as well as it should (or maybe is does not have enough pulses from the encoder).

Good luck with the slow gear change unless you insist you go out with the technician to show him Otherwise they will say nothing wrong with it.
i had a jump last night but I was in EV at lights and when they charged the ICE came on and the car jumped, it seem to be trying to find which gear it needed to be in EV or ICE gear.
Do please let us all know how get on.

I was toying with the idea of reporting to this and saying if you are joining a main road etc and it changes, let's say your going up a hill the car would slow drastically and could be considered dangerous but didn't know if they would agree etc here is the link
Vehicle recalls and faults

Last edited:
That would be a good idea but would need all of us reporting to then. I would like to know how many on the forum have any answers from MG Uk

I was toying with the idea of reporting to this and saying if you are joining a main road etc and it changes, let's say your going up a hill the car would slow drastically and could be considered dangerous but didn't know if they would agree etc here is the link
Vehicle recalls and faults
I believe that a "class action" would be appropriate. The car is really dangerous in that condition of use. I found myself overtaking at exactly that speed (80 km / h) and was next to the car I was overtaking just when the block occurred. A truly unpleasant situation. I am really incredulous. I can't believe they could have released a car with such a gigantic defect!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom