Smart Home (over) Charge

Wychall

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I requested a quote for the installation of an Ohme wall unit from Smart Home Charge which seemed to be reasonable so I gave them the go ahead. They kept me fully informed on the lead up to fitting day, covering all the OLEV application etc.
Fitting day arrived as did the fitters. They did a fine job of the installation and cleaned up afterwards. I'm very impressed.
Then I thought about the quote, and the extra £45 + vat for installation of an earth rod. Where is the earth rod?
Full marks to the company again as they refunded me the £54 as soon as I asked. But how many people haven't asked and so ended up paying too much.? Check your invoice!
One other little gripe when I read the Ohme manual (I was bored) is that they say that the rcd in the unit can be reset by powering off and on at the local isolator. But SHC have installed the only isolator behind a fitted in larder fridge. Not particularly accessible. I'll be fitting a switch in the junction box to remedy that.

Perhaps the earth rod is part of their standard installation fee? I have a Rolec charger and an earth rod was fitted - I actually assisted the installer by lifting some carpet/floor boards to run the cable to the charger, but I wouldn't want to have done the earth rod bit, that was very awkward.

Perhaps the earth rod is part of their standard installation fee? I have a Rolec charger and an earth rod was fitted - I actually assisted the installer by lifting some carpet/floor boards to run the cable to the charger, but I wouldn't want to have done the earth rod bit, that was very awkward.
Me too, I had an earth rod with my Rolec...

All ev chargers must have either earth rod or a PEN detection device installed to comply with electrical standards. If they refunded it with no questions asked, that a bit worrying, as it should be installed in the ground somewhere near the charger....

Heres a longish video that explains all the earthing options, its pros and cons.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom