Some Very Interesting Points Made - Worth Watching…

Hmm, sounds a bit like the last petrol dinosaur roaring out it's despair at the unfair electric meteor. :)

Interesting indeed (I enjoy Harry's Garage). He briefly referenced the attached article by Giles Coren and sadly I agreed with much of its content (my MG5 LR is my fifth EV, I dream of being able to charge at home and view the prospect of rapid charging on longer distances with absolute dread).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230114_082046.png
    Screenshot_20230114_082046.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 56
I suppose it's heartening to read that other marques have problems but I do get a bit fed up with the amount of airtime articles like this can capture. There seem to be many of us who are pretty happy with our cars.

Giles Coren sounds a bit like a wannabe Clarkson in that article (which I've not read fully). However I find his sister somewhat more fragrant. :)

Sadly, EV's much vaunted 'save the Planet ' credentials were never and will never be the answer. They have their place and indeed I love the concept and the driving experience, but they're too much hassle and far too expensive at present, which is why with equal measures of regret and relief I cancelled my order for an E5, purchased a bi -fuel vehicle with enough bells and whistles, and an 800 mile range, for at least half the price of the cheapest EV. However all this EV/Petrol scenario will likely be academic, if the present Government/City trends continue with regards to making personal transport ever more restricted and difficult. Pretty soon I fear that car ownership will be either a prerogative of the well heeled or a thing of the past, at least in this Country.

Even if much of Coren's diatribe is hyperbole I suspect what he is actually suffering from is as much to do the with the logo on the front as it is the juice it runs on. Touch wood (yes I have a real wood desk) apart from the odd spurious message, either ignored or solved with a restart mine has been impeccable for over a year now. I wish I could say the same for our tin tent tug but then that comes from the same stable as his.

I completely understand his impression of the charging network, on the couple of times I have needed a charge en route it has been somewhat fractious a process. To be honest my driving force to switch to EV was mostly about saving money overall and that is driven by the solar panels.

Maybe I've just been lucky (that would be unusual) but I've done lots of long distance drives in my Mk1 ZS EV and then my MG5 and not had any problems with charging en route.- kiss of death, commentators curse comes to mind right now :eek:
I do have a concern that demand for chargers is now increasing more rapidly than supply with the increasing take up of EVs.
2 years ago or even a year ago EV buyers seemed to do more research into their purchase than now. Maybe that's a generalisation or even completely wrong but there does seem to be a lot more naivety displayed by new owners, and they do seem to have more problems and questions after they have purchased rather than before.
Mini Rant over and apologies to all the new EV owners that fully researched and understood what they were getting into. :)

There's much in what you say Gomez. Having said that I thought that I'd researched thoroughly, but the amount of real world knowledge I've read on this forum has made me realise how little I knew.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom