Speeding. 🙄☹

salty

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Got a letter through the post today, thought great, l've won summut. 🙂 But no twas a speeding fine, from Monday just gone. ☹ Nowt drastic 48mph in a 40mph zone. But still done, £100 fine and 3 points. Made me think is it wise for me to get an X Power. Thought about it for a few seconds, then decided of course it is. 😀

48 in a 40 would certainly be in SAC territory, unless you've previously done a SAC within the past 3 years.

Is what you've received a NIP/S172, where a SAC may still be an option?

Not offered an S.A.C. then m8?
Folk are being done for 26 in a 20 over here!
Doing 30 in a 20 now makes you feel like your tearing along.
Really bizarre!
Can't did a course 2 years ago. Can't do another until 3 years have passed. Ironically it was a similar speed about 2 years ago. (not on the same road) ☹ Still, worse things happen at sea, as they say. Annoying though. 🙄

Not long after I acquired Ferdinand, my late lamented XR2, I managed to accumulate 11 points on my licence in pretty rapid succession. I developed a very keen eye for cop cars during the subsequent two-and-three-quarter years.

I should have learned to be more careful about speed cameras too, because not long after I got Ariel, my late lamented Peugeot, much the same thing happened again, only this time it was cameras, not cop cars and "only" nine points acquired over about nine months. (I still think the first ticket, allegedly for running a red light, was a mistake, but I didn't query it at the time so too bad.)

Neither time did I lose my licence, and the last of the Ariel points - acquired in about 2004 - were the last ones I got.

Touch wood.

When going EV for the first time, it SO easy to lose track of your travelling speed, as the engine sound has been removed from the cabin.
48Mph in a 40 IS pushing your luck a bit though TBF.
The usual discretionary margin CAN be regarded as, the posted limit, plus 10% + or - 2 Mph on a good day!
I believe above these margins, is often seen as a instant fine and points unfortunately.
When the super slow 20 mph limit was first introduced in Wales, the police were offering "at the side of road" advice for early offenders.
Now enforcement is fully in place, with some police discretion being advised.
A absolute max upper limit of 26 mph will mean you are NOT getting away with a caution, but points and a fine.
The police run "Driver Awareness Courses" in a hotel that we very often drive past.
Needless to say, the car park is always populated by a good number of cars!

Not long after I acquired Ferdinand, my late lamented XR2, I managed to accumulate 11 points on my licence in pretty rapid succession. I developed a very keen eye for cop cars during the subsequent two-and-three-quarter years.
I was in that position about 10 years ago. Not much fun is it?
A absolute max upper limit of 26 Mph will mean you are NOT getting away with a caution, but points and a fine.
I've been in contact with my AM about that. Basically what's the point in reducing the speed limit by 4 mph?

Well, that's comparing apples and oranges. There is a discretionary limit on 30 mph zones as well. You can usually get away with 36 mph. I had a friend who managed to do 37 mph in Bradford on a snowy day on about the only 100-yard stretch where it was possible to exceed 20 mph (he'd been first in the queue at a red light) and was caught by a camera! Not a happy camper.

Some years back I received a letter containing the evidence gathered by a speed camera, proving that about 300 yards before the end of the 30mph limit on the road out of Hull, I had been clocked doing 34mph. So would I please phone the number below to arrange payment of the fine. Oh, and here are 3 points on your licence. Otherwise it'd be see you in court.

To be fair, the guy I spoke to on the phone was very sympathetic. He agreed wholeheartedly that it should not be a criminal offence to drive out of Hull as fast as possible...

I think having come from a succession of boy racers, and having had my fingers burned a couple of times in the past has stood me in good stead when I acquired Caliban, and his penchant for running away with me. He's at least as bad as Ferdinand was, and he was lethal.

Some years back I received a letter containing the evidence gathered by a speed camera, proving that about 300 yards before the end of the 30mph limit on the road out of Hull, I had been clocked doing 34mph. So would I please phone the number below to arrange payment of the fine. Oh, and here are 3 points on your licence. Otherwise it'd be see you in court.

To be fair, the guy I spoke to on the phone was very sympathetic. He agreed wholeheartedly that it should not be a criminal offence to drive out of Hull as fast as possible...

That's rough, that's the first time I ever heard of anyone being done for only 4 mph above a 30 limit.

I've seen people booked for 32 in a 30 limit in South Wales too . I was also done for 34 in a 30 many years ago down a very steep hill with no houses on that partcular stretch . I tend to stick to 20 means 20,30 means 30 and so on . If it's too slow for the inevitable tailgater ,I let them pass

I was done for 32 in 30 limit, back when N. Wales heddlu had their zero tolerance policy.
My good friend who also lives in North Wales was given a fine and 3 points for doing 33 Mph in a 30 Mph limit.
He was caught by the police using a radar gun.
Zero tolerance policy alright.
In a local village close my home address, the police 👮 have loaned a group of people, with a radar gun.
This group use it to monitor speeders travelling through the quiet village.
These people have no legal power of prosecution of course, but any regular offenders or drivers who are driving WAY above the limit are recorded and the list is sent to the police.
Some of these drivers have received letters through the post, advising that they should address their bad driving behaviour, I am led to believe.

Even before the 20 mph thing kicked off in Wales our local council went on a "safer villages" kick and reduced all the 30 mph zones to 20 mph. There was a bit of muttering, and a short stretch of main road in our village was restored to 30 mph (there's still a 20 mph stretch in the centre), but mainly people like it because they know how much better it is if you're the one standing on the pavement. I use the ACC in the MG4 set to 20 to cruise through, it's easy.

There's always one though. Or more realistically several. About three times I've been aggressively overtaken in Carlops by people doing at least 50 in the 20 zone, and that's a village where there are cottages right on the road. I've only seen one speed cop there though, and I drive through the village a lot. (I wasn't driving at the time, so it must have been before I got Caliban, and fortunately the friend who was driving was under the limit.)

I saw a potentially nasty one in West Linton a week ago. I was returning from a trip to the theatre at about 11.30 pm. When I entered the 20 mph zone there were two cars in front of me, and the leading car was doing the limit. I was about to turn right, and so, apparently, was he. He was a little slow in indicating, but he was positioned on the crown of the road and he was actually doing 20 mph. As he indicated and began to turn, the car in front of me whipped out and overtook him, vanishing up the road at about 50 mph. A marginal difference in timing and he'd have gone right into the driver's door of the turning car. If I'd had a dash-cam...

On the other side of the balance, I did it myself to a lorry in the middle of Broughton, which is a village that has a straight stretch of road in the middle where there are no houses. I had been tailing this lorry since Mountain Cross, and the HGV speed limit there is 40 mph, whereas it's 60 mph for cars. But there is no realistic chance of overtaking on that road. I knew the same applied to the road from Broughton to Moffat and didn't fancy tailing him for another 20 miles. So. Bad person, me.

Then the lorry followed me at 60 all the way to Moffat.

I've seen people booked for 32 in a 30 limit in South Wales too . I was also done for 34 in a 30 many years ago down a very steep hill with no houses on that partcular stretch . I tend to stick to 20 means 20,30 means 30 and so on . If it's too slow for the inevitable tailgater ,I let them pass
Many yonks ago I was in Stirling just packing my tools into my wee Renault Clio diesel van when I got a panic call about a young lassie in a new house with a two day old baby and the mains water pipe had pulled out of the pressure reducing valve on the unvented hot water cylinder. The builders had long since left site for the day. I swear the water and her tears were splashing out of my phone.
She was in Winchburgh 20 odd miles along the M9.
I lit up the van (inasmuch as one could 🤣) and five miles later noticed the BMW behind was lit up so much prettier in blue 🥴🥴🥴
Well they didn’t believe the story and weren’t interested but gave me some paper with a request to slow down and cough up cash later.
The poor young lassie didn’t believe my story and wasn’t interested in why I had taken so long.
Baby wasn’t interested as he / she ? had managed quite independently to flood his / her nappy and wasn’t interested in a tearful Mum or a flooded house or this guy rushing about turning off water and faffing about with pipes and stuff in this strange new world Mum and Dad had found.
I did see the girl a month or two later and she said the builder had helped enormously with carpets and decorating etc etc.
I paid my dues and the nasty imprint is now off my licence.
The baby ? Oblivious no doubt 🤣🤣

Speeding is an absolute offence - there is no mitigation (except in very rare, life-critical situations). And if you were doing 32 then your speedo was showing at a minimum 32 mph ... speedos cannot show a speed lower than the actual speed; they can (and do) show a higher speed, but never a lower speed. A tolerance on the speed detection is usually allowed for simplicity and to account for operational tolerances. (The equipment itself is type-approved and very accurate - the people operating the equipment less so).

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom