steering click.

Whist stationary and off road.

Do yo get a similar sound if you push one side of the wheel away from you whilst slightly pulling the other side towards you ?

Just gradual pressure, nothing too heavy.
This is exactly how mine is, you notice it mainly when cornering. MG said there's nothing wrong with it, despite movement and small clunk evidently there.

My MG EV is going in for a repair for this issue. Only car I have ever driven that suffers clicks on using the steering wheel. Problem is getting worse and I will be interested to see what returnIng it achieve.

Mine's in the dealers tomorrow for this fix!
Please keep us informed on the out come.
Mine has been clicking / knocking / ticking ( however you want to describe it ) from about 2,000 miles out from delivery.
The car has now covered 14,500 miles and the noise is still there.
It can be heard / felt sometimes when hitting a small rut in the tarmac surface, or more evident when pulling out of the drive and turning from full lock, to full lock.
I sounds like the noise is coming from
the upper end of the column, that would tie in with the a problem with the column height adjustment pinchclamp, but noise can travel and catch you out.
The fix ( or part fix ) appears to fluctuate between tightening all three steering column bolts and also some have cured the problem by tightening up the steering column adjustment nut for the pinch clamp.
This will render the steering column adjustment, quick release pretty much redundant, because I fear the manual release will be to tight to release by hand ?.
But like me, if you have never moved your steering column height after the first day, then this is likely to be no problem.
I don’t think there is any major safety concerns here or the cars would be recalled, it’s just that the noise and feel through the steering wheel can be a little disconcerting for the driver.
I am not suggesting that this should be in anyway acceptable on any car, let alone a almost new one !.
Interesting that some dealers are appearing to be disregarding this problem ?.
If it was picked up at the time of an MOT by an independent MOT station, do we think the MOT tester, would be willing to put his / her name on a ticket ?.
Even if being told that the main delete had said is was “Okay”.
Well, I think we know what his or her responce would be.
“Well, I suggest that you take it to the dealer who said it was okay and get them to sign the ticket”.
The knocking has to be caused by either some type of wear or a defect part in the steering column.
MG have replaced a number of steering columns now and it appears to have rectified the problem.
It sounds like a supplier problem or a manufacturing assembly problem fault at the factory maybe.
The first option and the dealership is to check and inspect all of the steering components on the car.
Narrow it down to the root cause of the problem, which appears to be the steering column.
The column could be disconnected between the steering rack and the main universal joint at the bottom of the column.
Play in the universal joint could be checked as a possible cause here.
If the noise still persists, when the steering wheel is turned, then the fault is in the steering column itself surely ????.
Process of elimination.
MG must have warranty claims against this item by now, given the number of steering columns that have been replaced ?.
A service bulletin to the dealerships would help greatly in this situation.

I got the car back yesterday, all work done under warranty, but have only driven it home! I'll let you know when I get to drive the car a bit more...

I got the car back yesterday, all work done under warranty, but have only driven it home! I'll let you know when I get to drive the car a bit more...
Did they tell you what they did, new column, tighten some bolts etc ?

My car was checked this morning for the clicks by a local dealer in Queensland. They advised that it was faulty and helpfully ordered special replacement parts straight away. The parts were described as: Shaft ASM Inter Strg and Bolt/Screw Inter Strg SHF. I have the parts reference numbers too if that is of interest to anyone. The work will all be carried out under warranty. Hopefully the parts will arrive soon. MG dealer seemed very helpful and understanding.

My car was checked this morning for the clicks by a local dealer in Queensland. They advised that it was faulty and helpfully ordered special replacement parts straight away. The parts were described as: Shaft ASM Inter Strg and Bolt/Screw Inter Strg SHF. I have the parts reference numbers too if that is of interest to anyone. The work will all be carried out under warranty. Hopefully the parts will arrive soon. MG dealer seemed very helpful and understanding.
Hard to tell, but could in be the inner and outer steering column items ?.

Could you post the reference numbers for each of the parts.

Mentioned that mine had a clicking cracking noise at the steering wheel when it went in for its first service, Now going back in for a replacement steering column. Great service from NMG Norwich Holden Group

Mentioned that mine had a clicking cracking noise at the steering wheel when it went in for its first service, Now going back in for a replacement steering column. Great service from NMG Norwich Holden Group
This appears to be the accepted MG cure to the problem then, replacing the steering column parts !.
Clearly, they have a number of successful repairs now, that have proven to rectify the problem.

Did they tell you what they did, new column, tighten some bolts etc ?
From the paperwork:

Investigate warranty concern.
Confirmed steering column lower shaft noisy.
Replaced with new and rebuilt components.
Road tested.

Yep, no amount of tightening would have fixed that one.
That was actually the first place I looked after seeing a video on it on YouTube.

My clicking has returned and I will be contacting the dealership shortly. I intend on bring it back until I'm satisfied that it's fixed for good.

Mentioned the clicking on mine at first service last week (MG Rayne). They said it's a known problem and have ordered a new steering column. I was pleasantly surprised as I expected them to say there's nothing wrong or at best tighten a bolt for a temporary fix.

Mentioned the clicking on mine at first service last week (MG Rayne). They said it's a known problem and have ordered a new steering column. I was pleasantly surprised as I expected them to say there's nothing wrong or at best tighten a bolt for a temporary fix.
That's where I got mine replaced. Took about 5 hours to do. Have to order the part first took about 5 weeks all in. Great service from them, took out my service plan, albeit 50 minutes away

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom