Sticking my neck out with this request

Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi all, as in the title sticking my neck out but I hope not to upset anybody.

In reading the posts on this forum time after time some one will ask for help or advice, and then further down the thread, somebody else will raise the question asking WHICH CAR or WHICH MODEL are you / we talking about with your question or comment.

Example, Is it the MG ZS, and is it the new Long or the standard range, or perhaps the MK1 44kw version, or the MG5 again Long or standard range, or something different HS or whatever if you see what I mean. There are some differences from model to model as we all know.

if the question concerns the ZS it should, be in the ZS section of the forum, but the amount of times it ends up in one of the other threads like the MG 5 forum and Vice a versa is unbelievable, and at times annoying, and can cause confusion to others, especially new owners,
I know some questions can concern all makes and models at times for examples comments about Dealers and chargers good or bad, or bad service from elsewhere but I’m sure things would be better if we make it clear at the beginning of a post what vehicle we are addressing.

Also if we could all update our AVATARS to show which cars we own, I’m sure that would help make an improvement for example AVATARs should read MG ZS LR or MK1 SR , or MG5 LR or SR or something along them lines
So can we all post in any threads we post what vehicles we are addressing which I’m sure could give us better and quicker responses to question.

OK Rant over so where is the Block and who’s got the Hatchet ( better check my will is up to date )
Les

EDIT I have after writing the rant tried to up date my own Avatar to add the Letters SR to driving MG5 but it won’t let me so can I ask Stuart Wright, is there way to do this so members can edit and up date their Avatars on the forum Thank you
Les

Last edited:
Les, well said!

Unlike me who tries to subtly point people in the right direction (minus this morning's post when I was half asleep) you've addressed the elephant in the room and offered a potential solution.

Perhaps adding your current vehicle, model, etc. to your signature, as we used to do on Land Rover forums, would also help? I will do this now to see what it looks like 🙂

@Stuart Wright

In addition to Les' request, I think there is another issue at play. In desktop view there is lots of information, but in mobile view (of which I use almost exclusively) there is next to no info. Is it possible to show signature and vehicle info in mobile view?

Desktop:
Screenshot_20220406-224054-294.png

Mobile:
Screenshot_20220406-224135-567.png

You also get different information on different devices. If I use my tablet it shows the car model but I am using my phone now and only get a name showing next to a picture.

I'll jump on your 'sticking the neck out' bandwagon and ask if it's possible to merge threads sometimes. So many are started now (more so on the ZS side) that are a repeat of something where the same/similar topic literally exists already.

I realise though that it'd be more for the mods to do when they already volunteer their own time, so I understand not being able to.

The search function works well enough - I'm not sure why it's not used more before creating another thread :unsure:

Hi all, as in the title sticking my neck out but I hope not to upset anybody.

In reading the posts on this forum time after time some one will ask for help or advice, and then further down the thread, somebody else will raise the question asking WHICH CAR or WHICH MODEL are you / we talking about with your question or comment.

Example, Is it the MG ZS, and is it the new Long or the standard range, or perhaps the MK1 44kw version or the MG5 again Long or standard range, or something different HS or whatever if you see what I mean. There is some differences from model to model as we all know.

if the question concerns the ZS it should, be in the ZS section of the forum, but the amount of times it ends up in one of the other threads like the MG 5 forum and Vice a versa is unbelievable and at times annoying and can cause confusion to others, especially new owners, I know some questions can concern all makes and models at times for examples comments about Dealers and chargers good or bad, or bad service from elsewhere but I’m sure things would be better if we make it clear at the beginning of a post what vehicle we are addressing.

Also if we could all update our AVATARS to show which cars we own, I’m sure that would help make an improvement for example AVATARs should read MG ZS LR or MK1 SR , or MG5 LR or SR or something along them lines
So can we all post in any threads we post what vehicles we are addressing which I’m sure could give us better and quicker responses to question.

OK Rant over so where is the Block and who’s got the Hatchet ( better check my will is up to date )
Les

EDIT I have after writing the rant tried to up date my own Avatar to add the Letters SR to driving MG5 but it won’t let me so Stuart Wright is there way to do this so members can edit and up date their Avatars on the forum Thank you
Les
Wholeheartedly agree Les.
I am a prime example of one who goofs frequently by just scribbling my nonsense all over the place. I try to behave and adhere to the rules but hope there’s a bit of leeway for those closer to senility than youthful enlightenment with this electronic media mystery.
I like your idea about more descriptive avatars so I’ve had a bash at updating mine.

Les, well said!

Unlike me who tries to subtly point people in the right direction (minus this morning's post when I was half asleep) you've addressed the elephant in the room and offered a potential solution.

Perhaps adding your current vehicle, model, etc. to your signature, as we used to do on Land Rover forums, would also help? I will do this now to see what it looks like 🙂
Well Ozzie I have just put an edit on my rant and ask Stuart Wright to look at it thanks for your post.

I'll jump on your 'sticking the neck out' bandwagon and ask if it's possible to merge threads sometimes. So many are started now (more so on the ZS side) that are a repeat of something where the same/similar topic literally exists already.

I realise though that it'd be more for the mods to do when they already volunteer their own time, so I understand not being able to.

The search function works well enough - I'm not sure why it's not used more before creating another thread :unsure:
NutNut I could not agree more.

I am a prime example of one who goofs frequently by just scribbling my nonsense all over the place. I try to behave and adhere to the rules but hope there’s a bit of leeway for those closer to senility than youthful enlightenment with this electronic media mystery.
I like your idea about more descriptive avatars so I’ve had a bash at updating mine.
Well done Archer, I can see what you how done but, can you please enlighten us how, I did try but no success I was hoping to get the bottom line to read
Driving an MG5 SR but what you have manage is good as well, maybe a few others might follow suit if you can explain how you did it thanks.
Les

Well done Archer, I can see what you how done but, can you please enlighten us how, I did try but no success I was hoping to get the bottom line to read
Driving an MG5 SR but what you have manage is good as well, maybe a few others might follow suit if you can explain how you did it thanks.
Les
Hi - I’m a right one to try to describe how I got the avatar changed but here’s where I think I did.
I found a suitable picture of my car and duplicated it.
Then using edit in photos I added the 5LR with the text setting.
Next I went into my account here and tapped on my existing avatar.
Go to “upload new avatar”
Les
prepare the picture you want to use in Photo’s.
Go to your account here by tapping on your existing avatar.
Tap on “choose file”
Tap on
Les
OK - with apologies to anyone who really understands what they’re on about with computers and stuff :-
Go to your photo library on your device. Choose a picture and edit it to add the text required.
Come back to these MG community pages and tap your existing avatar to enter your account.
Tap on choose avatar.
Tap on picture library.
Choose the picture you’ve edited.
Wave the ten mil spanner thrice
If I’ve described this correctly- Bob’s your new avatar

Hi again Archev, many thanks for the above instructions Great job you have done there
done my Avatar now has well had to draw the letters with my finger as I couldn’t find any text option on my iPad but it’s worked and all can see I’ve a MG5 SR
Sorry if you think your not up to scratch with the technology then is god help me my mate. I can tell you .
Les

Hi again Archev, many thanks for the above instructions Great job you have done there
done my Avatar now has well had to draw the letters with my finger as I couldn’t find any text option on my iPad but it’s worked and all can see I’ve a MG5 SR
Sorry if you think your not up to scratch with the technology then is god help me my mate. I can tell you .
Les
Good morning again Les.
When you edited the picture in Photos with the iPad you see the selection of writing and erasing materials. At the right there’s a multi coloured circle and a plus sign.
Tap the circle to change the colour of the pen/ pencil etc.
Tap the plus sign and you’ll find the text option along with signature and other delights.
Hit text and you’ll see the word text on your picture with dots either side of it.
If you touch the word text there a keyboard pops to add your title.
Drag the dots left and right to stretch the title slot and allow you to add more.
There’s a couple of little A’s showing somewhere there in the bottom left - tap them and slide left and right to change the size of your lettering.
You can then drag the whole block of text around your picture to where you want it.

I always make a duplicate of the picture so that I always have the original in case the whole shooting match turns pear shaped and I forget what I’m doing and hit the screw it up in blind rage and chuck it in the bin button - technically known as delete 🥵
My brain hurts now

Hi - I’m a right one to try to describe how I got the avatar changed but here’s where I think I did.
I found a suitable picture of my car and duplicated it.
Then using edit in photos I added the 5LR with the text setting.
Next I went into my account here and tapped on my existing avatar.
Go to “upload new avatar”

prepare the picture you want to use in Photo’s.
Go to your account here by tapping on your existing avatar.
Tap on “choose file”
Tap on

OK - with apologies to anyone who really understands what they’re on about with computers and stuff :-
Go to your photo library on your device. Choose a picture and edit it to add the text required.
Come back to these MG community pages and tap your existing avatar to enter your account.
Tap on choose avatar.
Tap on picture library.
Choose the picture you’ve edited.
Wave the ten mil spanner thrice
If I’ve described this correctly- Bob’s your new avatar
I think it's probably easier to add your car description in your signature. @Les burrows and @Archev I see neither of you have set up your signature.

On a PC/website click on your username top right, then click on signature.

Now Gomev I can see now at the bottom of your last post it says driving an MG5 LR I have never seen that before and have no idea how it got there you say on a PC to do this and thats fair enough but I don’t have a PC only IOS so I would be grateful if you could elaborate further.
The place I have ever notice any guide to what members are driving is at he bottom of the avatars and this signature thing I have never herd off.
Please excuse me if I sound untech savvy it’s because I am.
Les

I'll jump on your 'sticking the neck out' bandwagon and ask if it's possible to merge threads sometimes.
It's both possible and it already happens! There's a lot of housekeeping that goes on in the background but it isn't always obvious. If anyone sees a potential thread merge opportunity, just raise a report or PM a moderator.
On the subject of posts in the wrong place, one thing I would say is think about the content of your post. The fact that you drive a ZSEV for example does not mean everything you post has to go in the ZSEV section. Similarly, posts about home or public charging belong in the General Forum unless you are dealing with some issue that is uniquely linked to a particular model.

Many thanks for your helpful assistance/ good natured prodding. I’ve alwpays wondered what all these ethereal hieroglyphics that pop up on this screen actually mean. For us mature creatures it can take ages to understand them - assuming we can find them and then remember where that was.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom