Summers here Part 2

OriginalBigAl

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
For all those wishing to visit France this summer, we recently made the return journey Brive to Chambery around 960 km , 800 on the peage . Fuel costs in a large Boxer van 130 euros , toll road costs 142 euros. Beware Dick Turpin still lives.
We did a pre journey route planner which estimated costs of 90 euros which I was baulking at, but because we have animals we needed to return the same day, hence motorway versus slow roads. As an aside avoid Lyon at all costs. We just received the bank statement today , it feels like we have been mugged. Happy holidays!

France tolls have always felt somewhat pricey to me.

OTOH I nearly went on the M6 toll the other day but that's now over £6 apparently - used to be OK when I was travelling on expenses but not on my own hard-earned!! :)

My local chippy cod 'n' chips is now £9.20!! I can nearly remember when that'd be the price for two of us!!

OTOH I nearly went on the M6 toll the other day but that's now over £6 apparently - used to be OK when I was travelling on expenses but not on my own hard-earned!! :)

My local chippy cod 'n' chips is now £9.20!! I can nearly remember when that'd be the price for two of us!!

Let’s not start talking about the price of a pint lol

I have seen a few post where people have chosen to pick routes avoiding tolls which can be quite scenic. I guess depends on how much of a hurry you are in.

Are they still doing this? It was last century when I last drove in France, and the motorways were prohibitively expensive. I plotted a route on non-motorway roads which was lovely, and scenic, or it should have been. It was marred by lorries barrelling up and down carving lumps out of the tarmac and generally ruining it for everyone. Villages, which were bypassed by perfectly good motorways which had very little traffic on them, were subjected to a constant stream of heavy goods vehicles avoiding the tolls.

I wondered if they had re-thought, but obviously not.

Last edited:
Are they still doing this? It was last century when I last drove in France, and the motorways were prohibitively expensive. I plotted a route on non-motorway roads which was lovely, and scenic, or it should have been. It was marred by lorries barrelling up and down carving lumps out of the tarmac and generally ruining it for everyone. Villages, which were bypassed by perfectly good motorways which had very little traffic on them, were subjected to a constant stream of heavy good vehicles avoiding the tolls.

I wondered if they had re-thought, but obviously not.
There was a post about driving through France on here somewhere. Could have been facebook but I think was here. With some route suggestions and charge points.

As a note I have found France to be brilliant for finding well priced charging :)

Way pre EV I used to tug a caravan down to Le Mans for the 24h race ( - anyone watch it this weekend just gone?).

It was a lovely run through villages and tree lined country roads, such that when they opened the peage (I think beyond Rouen - the road to Rouen was free, as it so often is :) ) I carried on using the old RN road. Saved a few bob too, but towing with a 3 litre car wasn't cheap either (well in fact even not towing is was pretty dire!!)

We have been in France 16 years and have tried to avoid paid autoroutes as a rule, so its always a surprise when we get the bill, or at least the ever increasing price. However for some journeys across picturesque but difficult terrain they are as a necessity unavoidable. Rolfes point about lorries clogging up main routes ( non paid ) remains valid today , in response to this , the French government have restricted the movement of French registered HGV s on Sundays.
We were planning to take two days with a B+B stopover which would have been more pleasant and cheaper, but with a smallholding with animals etc ,was not feasible.
On the good side every autoroute service station we passed indicated EV charging points.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom