Swapping from fossil fuels to Electric the truth.

I thought that was very fair. It taps into something I've been thinking. Even if there were no environmental considerations at all, if electric cars were simply a new consumer product, would they take off?

I think they would, for all the reasons this chap says. The superb driving experience, the economy, the convenience of home charging, and something he didn't mention but which I think will become a bigger factor moving forward, lower maintenance costs. I think electric cars would be set to obliterate ICE cars pretty much the way digital photography has obliterated 35mm film cameras. There will be the niche applications and the people who for whatever reason prefer to stick with the old technology, but for the average user it will become a no-brainer. It should already be a no-brainer for anyone who can charge at home.

I see ICE cars being like steam traction engines, something for the enthusiast to take to a ralley to show the kids last century's technology. :)

Also, the sudden increase in fear, doubt and uncertainty, and non factual based opinions seen in the media shows the fossil fuel industry has seen the writing on the wall and is trying its hardest to stop the tide.

I thought that was very fair. It taps into something I've been thinking. Even if there were no environmental considerations at all, if electric cars were simply a new consumer product, would they take off?

I think they would, for all the reasons this chap says. The superb driving experience, the economy, the convenience of home charging, and something he didn't mention but which I think will become a bigger factor moving forward, lower maintenance costs. I think electric cars would be set to obliterate ICE cars pretty much the way digital photography has obliterated 35mm film cameras. There will be the niche applications and the people who for whatever reason prefer to stick with the old technology, but for the average user it will become a no-brainer. It should already be a no-brainer for anyone who can charge at home.
I see ICE cars being like steam traction engines, something for the enthusiast to take to a ralley to show the kids last century's technology. :)

Also, the sudden increase in fear, doubt and uncertainty, and non factual based opinions seen in the media shows the fossil fuel industry has seen the writing on the wall and is trying its hardest to stop the tide.
Both excellent analogies.

There was no FUD created when the move to digital photography happened, there was no FUD when we moved from vinyl to cassette to CD and then digital. Of course there are the enthusiasts that still prefer and use the older technology and that's fine. There was no FUD when we moved from cathode ray tube TVs to plasma and LED, and broadcasting became digital with added competition from streaming.

These were just examples of progress in technology, the same as EVs, progress.

So why the FUD about EVs ? Well I guess it may have something to do with the largest richest, companies ever known to man fearing a vast lost of revenue. Or have I got it wrong and EVs are really that bad. (I think not :) )

There was no FUD created when the move to digital photography happened, there was no FUD when we moved from vinyl to cassette to CD and then digital. Of course there are the enthusiasts that still prefer and use the older technology and that's fine. There was no FUD when we moved from cathode ray tube TVs to plasma and LED, and broadcasting became digital with added competition from streaming.

So why the FUD about EVs ? Well I guess it may have something to do with the largest richest, companies ever known to man fearing a vast lost of revenue. Or have I got it wrong and EVs are really that bad. (I think not :) )
Oh well said. Bravo! :)

The FUD surrounding cars is I suspect because it will be (eventually) mandatory for all new vehicles to be non ICE. The other examples were all at the preference of the customer. You are into over my dead body territory for the luddites.

The FUD surrounding cars is I suspect because it will be (eventually) mandatory for all new vehicles to be non ICE. The other examples were all at the preference of the customer. You are into over my dead body territory for the luddites.
Maybe so, but deadlines concentrate the mind.
Is there as much FUD in Europe ? maybe our European contributors or those from further abroad are encountering the same or possibly not. It would be interesting to learn.

Maybe so, but deadlines concentrate the mind.
Is there as much FUD in Europe ? maybe our European contributors or those from further abroad are encountering the same or possibly not. It would be interesting to learn.
Norway certainly have no problems. :)

I don't think there was any move from vinyl to cassette - cassette was always inferior, but useful for portability, and could be recorded on. I think vinyl and cassette co-existed because they did different things. But yes, CD obliterated cassette because portable, much less fragile, and better quality. Vinyl still exists because for all the disadvantages of short sides and scratchability, the quality still beats CD. So that one isn't so clear cut.

More relevant, I think, is the move from videotape (either Betamax or VHS) to DVD. I always said I wouldn't downgrade from Betamax to VHS, I'd stick until something killed VHS. DVD killed it stone dead.

To a certain extent the same happened with the move from leaded to non leaded petrol. There was no real FUD then as it didn't really affect the oil companies profits.

And it's ironic that Norway funded the transition to EV's by selling it's oil and gas reserves to other countries rather than use it itself.

BP and Shell spend around 6% of their trillions of dollars of profit on EV charging.

Last edited:

I think people have some legitimate anxieties, and many irrational ones. The fact that the government has said it will phase out ice cars does make EVs more scary for people especially as the cost difference is so high for people. ICE industries are being disrupted, it's hard for legacy car makers to switch over their production and know exactly how many EVs they might sell in the next 5 years and at what price. That also depends on the direction set by government. It could be set back if trump wins next year's election. But hopefully we are moving in the right direction, the price of EVs will come down steadily and ownership will become accessible for all.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom