Swapping insurance for new car - I tell ya!! 😡

DaevM

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
So, new car, new reg (24) arriving Friday.
Trying to use online system (Aviva Zero) to swap in advance, ready for Friday.
First system question, New Reg? Enter new reg which us obvs '24. System response: nope.
Contacted online support. Went through similar process with online chat person and after about 20 minutes ( originally thought I was just trying to swap reg - someone wasn't paying attention... or thinking) at which point they announced the reg wasn't on the system (yet) but they would be prepared to waive cancellation fees as the problem is with their system if I would like to cancel my existing policy ( minus admin fees of course) and I could take a new policy out.
I'll try again Thursday. 😐

This happened to me. Wait 24hrs then see if one of the price comparison sites recognises the registration. This will mean it's available to insurers.

Thanks, will do.
Remember the good old days when you used to be able to phone and give them the vehicle details ( make, model, reg, engine size, use and 500 other facts etc) and they'd do it without it having to be "on the system" ? Computer says no 🥱

So, new car, new reg (24) arriving Friday.
Trying to use online system (Aviva Zero) to swap in advance, ready for Friday.
First system question, New Reg? Enter new reg which us obvs '24. System response: nope.
Contacted online support. Went through similar process with online chat person and after about 20 minutes ( originally thought I was just trying to swap reg - someone wasn't paying attention... or thinking) at which point they announced the reg wasn't on the system (yet) but they would be prepared to waive cancellation fees as the problem is with their system if I would like to cancel my existing policy ( minus admin fees of course) and I could take a new policy out.
I'll try again Thursday. 😐

I also tried to be ahead of the game but this is what happened to me...(previous post)

My current insurer (Churchill) could not find my X Power and I had to cancel with them. I ended up with Hastings direct who were willing to quote me.

I had been at my dealer over an hour, sat in my new car faffing about trying to get covered which was a bit of a pain.

I'm usually very well prepared and didn't expect them not to recognise the car on their system.

I was bent over with no lubrication offered or received and stuck at the dealer, so had to take the quote given.

My best quote on the day was £570.
I took it, but will do better next year when it's on all the insurers data bases.(I'm sure.???)
I checked with compare the market recently and see that as of now, my policy would be just £296.

You can check to see whether the registration has popped up on the DVLA system yet here. AFAIK dealers tend to leave it to the last minute to set it up because they don't want to pay the registration fee and then have you cancel your order. Super irritating but not much that can be done about it.

Worrying, went into Compare the Market. Not there yet so went for 'manually enter vehicle details' option only to find that although MG is there, MG4 is not in the drop down... at all. 🤔. It has been out in UK for a couple of years or so hasn't it ?

Update : - it was the next option down, MG MOTORS UK 😉

Last edited:
Getting £375/385 from Admiral via comparethemarket who will quote without the reg being 'in the system' so not too bad if I can't just swap remainder of existing to new car by Friday. 👍

All's well that ends well ( so far) . Reg still not in system.
Aviva cancelled existing policy from Friday midnight, waived cancellation fee, £125 refund. Admiral Gold policy taken out @ £385, so all good. Could have been so much worse.(so far)

I've got Aviva now, they were the cheapest I could find. I was with the RAC for many years before I discovered I was being ripped off. Every year, this is the cheapest quote we can find for you, and it was only on the Golf GTi forum I discovered what other people were paying. Went to a comparison web site and the cheapest quote was less than half the price - and it was the RAC!!

So I cancelled and re-insured with the RAC. Nuts. But then they did it again and I moved to Sheila's Wheels. Who wouldn't even talk to me about a better offer for the MG4, so, hello Aviva.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom