Technology Should be Simple

Robf

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Looking at most of the posts regarding MG`s really does highlight a basic issue with leaving user interface with developing technology in the hands of the developers without proper user input (and control)
Sure you can instigate cruise control etc with deft flicks of a lever you cannot see, but logic should have told them that three simple push buttons on the steering wheel would have sufficed (there are so many good examples of cruise control, pilot, lane devation controls etc ). Having features in a car is great, but no good if they are not intuative to joe blogs.
Updating maps, battery degridation, latest versions of software, pairing the car, 10mm spanners :( are all examples of things that should have simple proccesses.
They really need Mr Angry from surrey in control of the development teams.

Looking at most of the posts regarding MG`s really does highlight a basic issue with leaving user interface with developing technology in the hands of the developers without proper user input (and control)
Sure you can instigate cruise control etc with deft flicks of a lever you cannot see, but logic should have told them that three simple push buttons on the steering wheel would have sufficed (there are so many good examples of cruise control, pilot, lane devation controls etc ). Having features in a car is great, but no good if they are not intuative to joe blogs.
Updating maps, battery degridation, latest versions of software, pairing the car, 10mm spanners :( are all examples of things that should have simple proccesses.
They really need Mr Angry from surrey in control of the development teams.
Or if Mr Angry's busy, this Joe Bloggs guy sounds good! :ROFLMAO:

I disagree, technology is complicated and will always complicate things. What one person thinks is simple/easy another will find awkward.

A piece of wood, a hammer and a nail is simple, but automating that process of smashing the nail into the wood accurately makes for more complicated.

1657614801300.png

I disagree, technology is complicated and will always complicate things. What one person thinks is simple/easy another will find awkward.

A piece of wood, a hammer and a nail is simple, but automating that process of smashing the nail into the wood accurately makes for more compli
You make my point exactly, and wait till he gets the user instructions :(

Attachments

• 1657615586686.png
    1657615586686.png
    144.9 KB · Views: 82
Anything made for a mass market will never keep all of the people happy all of the time.

Anything made for a mass market will never keep all of the people happy all of the time.
We just want to be not unhappy some of the time!

I haven't got my car yet (surprise, surprise) but I have been poring over the user manual. I now know why there is such a long lead time on these cars - you need a year to understand and learn how to operate them. Then, when you do, they update the software.

I just want to get in and drive from A to B, I won't use (or even need) half the prone to failure "nice to haves" that seem to have been installed. I'm perfectly capable of steering a car between lane markings and use my eyes to look out for obstacles rather than rely on dodgy technology.
Hmmm, perhaps I should have hung onto my 1962 Ford Anglia 🤔
/rant

Many years ago when personal computers started to appear, I recall a health & safety regulation (or possibly just guidance) which said that the software interface should be user friendly. Even now, we all work with interfaces which aren't. 😡

Many years ago when personal computers started to appear, I recall a health & safety regulation (or possibly just guidance) which said that the software interface should be user friendly. Even now, we all work with interfaces which aren't. 😡
Greece went even further and gave computer users (who used them 5 + hours per day at work) an extra 6 days holiday per year, so they didn't get damage of some kind to themselves.
That got scrapped as by that time greece were in the do do and looking for cut backs.
Employees spending more than 5 hours a day on Facebook didn't seem to show concern i bet.
Life changes and so does tech, mainly for the better.

We just want to be not unhappy some of the time!

I haven't got my car yet (surprise, surprise) but I have been poring over the user manual. I now know why there is such a long lead time on these cars - you need a year to understand and learn how to operate them. Then, when you do, they update the software.

I just want to get in and drive from A to B, I won't use (or even need) half the prone to failure "nice to haves" that seem to have been installed. I'm perfectly capable of steering a car between lane markings and use my eyes to look out for obstacles rather than rely on dodgy technology.
Hmmm, perhaps I should have hung onto my 1962 Ford Anglia 🤔
/rant
The book for my Leaf was at least twice the size. So bad they had to produce a second "need to know" handbook to go with it.

Which no-one ever reads either. Most of us pick up things from others on fora like this one. The trick is searching out the nuggets of truth. ;)

A piece of wood, a hammer and a nail is simple, but automating that process of smashing the nail into the wood accurately makes for more complicated.

View attachment 9683
Apologies for going off piste. This bought back memories from 50 years ago.
My version is a tad different but always caused a smile stuck to the wall of a cigarette fogged site office
20220712_203537.jpg

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom