Tell me about your rattles knocks and other annoying noises before I talk to my dealer

Shavey

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all

My ZS EV LR Trophy is 11 months old/13,000 miles. Really happy with it mostly! Due to go back to the dealer for its 1st year service and I have a couple of things I'm noticing that I'm not happy with. Want to know if any of you guys have had same issues and what your interactions with your dealer have been like.

1. Steering column knock noise when turning sometimes. Its an audible short knock when turning the wheel, only sometimes, and more frequent at slow speeds. Is just about enough to feel it through your hands on the wheel.

I have undone and reset the adjustable steering column lever a few times but it has made no difference. I have worked on my own cars for years before this one so I know it's not suspension/ball joint/trackrod end - the noise is definitely inside the car and coming from the steering column

2. Strange intermittant 'rattle' noise from front centre of dash close to the windscreen. Possibly more likely to occur after/during using heated aircon/windscreen blower.

I thought at first it was the rubber part of the wiper blades skitting around slightly on the windscreen - it's exactly that kind of noise, but I have turned on the wipers during the rattle and the noise continues

I have something similar to 2. More of a buzz, rather like a ping pong ball between 2 bits of glass. Does sound like the windscreen but it isn't as pressing the windscreen has no effect.

There's a plastic strip that runs at base of windscreen under the windscreen wipers. I'm pretty sure it's that making the noise anytime you go over bumps. Some people have mentioned using a silicon lubricant under the rubber seal where it sits on top of windscreen. I haven't tried this yet

I think someone else had a thread about the steering, have you tried the search bar?

Hi all

My ZS EV LR Trophy is 11 months old/13,000 miles. Really happy with it mostly! Due to go back to the dealer for its 1st year service and I have a couple of things I'm noticing that I'm not happy with. Want to know if any of you guys have had same issues and what your interactions with your dealer have been like.

1. Steering column knock noise when turning sometimes. Its an audible short knock when turning the wheel, only sometimes, and more frequent at slow speeds. Is just about enough to feel it through your hands on the wheel.

I have undone and reset the adjustable steering column lever a few times but it has made no difference. I have worked on my own cars for years before this one so I know it's not suspension/ball joint/trackrod end - the noise is definitely inside the car and coming from the steering column

2. Strange intermittant 'rattle' noise from front centre of dash close to the windscreen. Possibly more likely to occur after/during using heated aircon/windscreen blower.

I thought at first it was the rubber part of the wiper blades skitting around slightly on the windscreen - it's exactly that kind of noise, but I have turned on the wipers during the rattle and the noise continues
Both these items are known about on the ZS. A search of the forum will bring up lots of details.

I found my rattle was due to the rear view mirror (dealer was convinced rattle was coming from dash and wanted car for two days to take it apart!). After removing rear view mirror and refitting with silicone grease the annoying rattle has now gone.

Not zs related but just took my mg5 in for a rattle in the boot turns out it was the plastic lid boot trim was loose so all sorted and insulated it's a common issue the tech said with the mg5.

You may be on the right track with the steering column adjuster, assuming you're tightening the 13mm nyloc nut on the opposite end to the lever.
I found I had to tighten it up to the point where the lever was almost impossible to move, after setting the tilt to where I wanted it.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom