Testing Tesla Superchargers, Bristol

dsimpkins

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
So today I thought I'd test out the new Tesla Superchargers that have been installed at Burger King, Eastville, Bristol. These chargers are open to all EVs, and as forum members have pointed out, are the cheapest way of rapid charging when out and about. There are 8 350kW chargers here.

I paid non member off peak price of 47p per kW, and used contactless for the payment. A prepayment charge of £20 was taken, and hopefully will be refunded in next day or two, as I only topped up and actual spend was much less.
Tesla Superchargers Bristol SML.jpg

Only issue I had was ending the charge session. It was tap on, tap off with my card. It didn't stop when I unlocked the car. I had to manually stop it from the infotainment screen to end the charge session. Other than that it was a great experience. When I arrived there were more non-Tesla EVs using the stalls, than not.

Yes, I know I've parked a bit squint, and could've backed into the space a bit more. In my defence, I was hungry, and eager to get a burger ;) The spaces are massive.

Something to be aware of, this is close to the M32 junction 2, but there is also a large Tesco's supermarket, Ikea, and a shopping centre. At the weekends, this area can be VERY busy with queues just to get into the car park. Satuday lunchtimes are to be avoided IMO.

Interesting that it did not stop charging when the car was unlocked (I find this a real PITA feature). The previous generation Tesla chargers I have used do stop charging when the car is unlocked (suspect this is a car side request and not from the charger).

I think it's more of a pain if it stops charging when unlocked?
I usually get back before charge end and would be pissed right off if I had to go through the charging procedure again.

I use the previous gen Superchargers and they have never stopped charging when the car unlocks.

@dsimpkins I'm sure you already know but if you charge with the app there is no prepayment.
They just bill you for what you use. 👍

P.s
Are you old enough to remember that being the old Bristol Rovers Ground?

Edit: They now take £20 Pre payment.

Last edited:
I think it's more of a pain if it stops charging when unlocked?
I usually get back before charge end and would be pissed right off if I had to go through the charging procedure again.

I use the previous gen Superchargers and they have never stopped charging when the car unlocks.

@dsimpkins I'm sure you already know but if you charge with the app there is no prepayment.
They just bill you for what you use. 👍

P.s
Are you old enough to remember that being the old Bristol Rovers Ground?
Well I certainly can remember the old Eastville stadium.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom