Tethered type 1 to type 2 conversion.

Jaygee

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
After years of contemplation i have hit my parents to change their phev to an ev.
The problem is that they have a tethered type 1 Rolec dumb charger. The additional cost of a new type 2 charger instal is putting them off (they are pensioners)or causing them some apprehension.
they won’t be eligible for the olev grant as they already have a charger.
Does anyone have any experience of a cable swap? There are a handful of articles and 1 video on YouTube that i could find but does anyone have any experience of such swaps or opinions?

Google is your friend

Google is your friend
Thanks. Yeah I have come across these but wanted to get opinions or long term experiences about converting the tether.

It’s fairly straightforward on most tethered chargers as I understand it - usually just screw terminals. Obviously if you’re unsure, an electrician would be the best person for the job.

Adaptors/converters aren’t a great idea.

if they're with Octopus, you could convert a dumb type 1 outlet to a smart type 2 outlet by replacing the EVSE with the Ohme box

the Ohme is basically the same unit whether you fix it to the wall or use as an floating/inline-cable thing, so you should be able to remove the wall charger and replace it with the Ohme.

if they're with Octopus, you could convert a dumb type 1 outlet to a smart type 2 outlet by replacing the EVSE with the Ohme box

the Ohme is basically the same unit whether you fix it to the wall or use as an floating/inline-cable thing, so you should be able to remove the wall charger and replace it with the Ohme.
Thanks they have a tethered charger so the ohme cable is no use as it had to plug into the charger. Changing the cable itself seems the only way forward.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom